losing a buddy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

losing a buddy?

Horatio passed away during the night. He had started to slow down these past few days. We don't know how old he was, but this was his fourth home. We had him for about a year and a half, and knew he was older when we got him. He was bonded to Barbarella, and now I'm worried about her. She pulled a bunch of his hair out when he died, so we let her keep that pile of hair.
I've had bunnies and other critters get depressed when losing their mates. Some of them starved themselves to death, others we were able to pair up with someone else.
Barbie was alone for awhile, until Horatio's mate passed, and we bonded him with Barbie.
Barbie and Lucy absolutely hate each other, or I'd try to do a three way bond with Lucy and Ricky.
I'm really worried about her, but don't know what I can do. My mom says no more rabbits. Even so, I was looking around on craigslist, and at the shelter websites, and am having a hard time finding a neutered male rabbit, preferably over two years old, and less than five pounds. Horatio was seven pounds, but still really big compared to Barbie, who weighs about two pounds. I'm going to watch her for the next few days and keep my eyes open. Maybe she'll be fine, but I doubt it. The cat tried to steal her pile of hair, and when I reached in to move it closer to her, she nearly attacked me, thinking i was going to steal it.
Any ideas other than finding her another bunny?

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww i'm sorry to hear about horatio! *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh I am so sorry. I feel awful for poor Barbie.
Have you tried bunny rescues? There should be some in southern california.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

Awww poor baby. This sucks cus not only did you lose a baby but you are worried about another one. I hope things work out ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww hugs for you. RIP Horatio. I hope Barbie is ok or you find her another mate xxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sorry to hear. RIP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Aww I'm so sorry about Horatio.

If your parents say it's okay to get another bun, I would suggest you take Barbie into a shelter for some "dates". Most rabbit shelters will let your rabbit meet with some of the others they have up for adoption so Barbie could pick out her own friend. Just a note, rabbits don't have to be the same size to bond. I've seen bonded pairs that consisted of gaints bonded to dwarfs, normally size isn't really an issue when it comes to bonding. It's more about the rabbits personalities.

Make sure Barbie keeps eating and drinking, and give her lots of extra love and attention. If she stops eating, or appears sick, take her to the vet - Esp. if your not sure why Horatio died, in case he had something contagous. If the pile of fur seems comforting to her, let her keep it for awhile. Other then that all I can suggest is to give her time. It's normal for rabbits to morn over a lost friend, sometimes even for months. Just try to comfort her the best you can and give her time to get over the death.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Part of the Pack

Sorry for your loss. *hugs* I hope you find a pal for your other rabbit.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
can't think of one, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Aww I'm so sorry about Horatio.

If your parents say it's okay to get another bun, I would suggest you take Barbie into a shelter for some "dates". Most rabbit shelters will let your rabbit meet with some of the others they have up for adoption so Barbie could pick out her own friend. Just a note, rabbits don't have to be the same size to bond. I've seen bonded pairs that consisted of gaints bonded to dwarfs, normally size isn't really an issue when it comes to bonding. It's more about the rabbits personalities.

Make sure Barbie keeps eating and drinking, and give her lots of extra love and attention. If she stops eating, or appears sick, take her to the vet - Esp. if your not sure why Horatio died, in case he had something contagous. If the pile of fur seems comforting to her, let her keep it for awhile. Other then that all I can suggest is to give her time. It's normal for rabbits to morn over a lost friend, sometimes even for months. Just try to comfort her the best you can and give her time to get over the death.
Yes I agree, when my Littlebunny Boy's cagemate died he grieved, I kept a close eye on him and gave him extra attention. Also, I left her in the cage for a bit so he could say goodbye before I took her out. Which he did. But he still went into a depression for a bit, they were extremely bonded. He came through it okay, but now he's really showing his age (somewhere around 9 or 10) Good Luck and let Barbie grieve at her own pace. Hugs for your loss