lunging bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

lunging bunny

It's been a bit since I last posted. Here's an update... Dude, my bun who suffered from e-coniculi last June, is doing well. His head tilt is still present, sometimes looking pretty severe but then other times looking not so bad. Ruby, the dutch bunny my hubby brought home for him, has been of great comfort to Dude. They get along GREAT! Here's the kicker... I don't think Ruby likes me too much. A few months back, she surprised me when she lunged at my hand when I went to pick up their water bowl. I figured her hormones musta been kicking in and scheduled her spay appt. Now she is spayed and healed from it but just this morning she did it again. She brings up those 2 front feet and just lunges at me. But once I pick her up and sit on the couch to give her pets, she is fine. I've noticed that she does this mostly when the food has run out. If there is food in there, she doesn't go into attack mode. I try to keep an unlimited supply of hay but she is such a porker with that stuff, that it sometimes runs out.

So what do yall think? Is she trying to say "FEED ME NOW!" or is she turning aggressive on me?

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

When was she spayed? It can take up to two months for the hormones to leave.

Is her food dish in her cage? Some rabbits (usually females) can be cage-aggressive and will be territorial when caged. But when they are out of the cage they are fine.

Also, I know you said she eats it really fast but making sure she always has hay will help. This way she doesn't feel that she is going to starve to death, hehe. Young rabbits are dramatic sometimes .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:50 PM

I have a little girl who was spayed a couple of months before we adopted her. She doesn't lunge but she growls if I don't give her food fast enough. She is bonded to my little male Dutch who is layed back. I think it is a girl thing. I just growl back or tell her no then she puts her head down as if to say sorry. Other than that she is really sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well that may make sense then. She was spayed 2 weeks ago. Maybe she will start to chill out as time goes on. Yes the bowls are in the pen they stay in.... I house them in a 6 sided superyard. I guess for now I will just try to keep the hay bowl filled to lessen her lunging at me.

Thanks for your input!

~ Debrya
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:26 AM

My Ani was spayed last year, in the summer I believe.
She was fine before and after her spay but started with the lunging (and biting!) soon after I bonded her to Bo my neutered Rex male.
Ani lunges, growls and is one little furry ball of additude it seems.
Her aggression is mostly about protecting Bo from the other pets (who he's friends with, he's such a friendly guy), but she also does this when it's time to be fed, and it almost only happends in their pen.
Ani is just over a year old, and is a rescue.
So far she has only bitten me once (My first bunny bite), but I find not letting her get to me or let her know I am scared, plus useing dominace seems to put her in place, though we are still working on this.
If she's bad I will put my hand on her head and push her down and say "No". I will also then turn my back to her (like rabbits do) and ignore her, and/or play with Bo. Sometimes i will pick her up and cuddle her, just trying to calm her down but let her know i'm in charge.
I'm not sure if she is jellouse of Bo or not as he's a real suck for love bunny, and before he came around it was pretty much just Ani and I and she lived in my spare room (before she ate a hole in my bed).

Anyways, my advice would be to try some of these dominace tecniques, she may be just trying to be the boss and needs to know where she fits in.
Hoepfully she will just grow out of it (That's what I'm hoping with my Ani).
Good Luck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:18 PM

AndreaS15

My Zenith (little girl) looks just like your Ani. She is beautiful. Maybe that is it. They have that "I'm beautiful. You must do what I say" attitude. They are the queens and we are their servents. ha

Tags
water bowl