Major discovery regarding my flemish giant "samantha" - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Major discovery regarding my flemish giant "samantha"

Samantha is really a Sam! And Im quite embarrassed to admit that I just figured this out. We got him in December, and he quickly hit the "teenage" years after he met our rabbits. So picking him up and fully checking him over hasnt been an easy feat.

But then Friday, we cleaned and changed up all their "homes". After letting them hop around outside for quite awhile, 3 of my 4 bunnies went in the kitchen and collapsed together to rest up. While taking some pics, I noticed an "odd growth" on Samantha and picked her up to investigate (she was beyond tired so she let me do this) and noticed the growth was a testicle! LOL LOL

Well, all the marking issues make sense as he is right across from my un-neutered little male lop, along with the constant mounting of my other bunnies. Im actually happy- getting him fixed will be a lot less. Plus, I have been wishing I got a male instead. Im just worried about the male siblings the lady also sold- were they really a females??

As for their housing situations.....Sam and victors split extra large dog cage is now all sam's. Victor- my new zealand went into Maxine's house (a spotted mix). And maxine got a brand new small little dog cage- as all she does is snooze in her litter box..... And the bunnies arent really liking it. Victor refused to go in his home and stood outside his old one looking sad. Then Flemish started stomping his foot because he missed victor. Victor started stomping b/c he missed flemish. Maxine started stomping b/c the two boys were annoying her. ugh. crazy bunnies!

As for my holland and flemish being un neutered males- i dont think putting them together would be a good idea EVER..... But at least we dont have to worry about little babies if one gets out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 PM
It's all for them

LOL! You're probably not the first that's happened to. At what age do you usually neuter a rabbit?

I'm sure you'll get everything all worked out.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

This happens to a lot of bunny owners! When I first got Kodo i was told he was a boy but it wasn't 100% sure. I checked every couple days until a month later i saw a testicle lol. Neutering is usually done when the testes are done developing. Which is around the 4-5 month age

Love Kodo too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Don't feel too bad - it's actually a pretty common occurrence among bunny owners. They can be hard to sex - especially when they are still young, before the boys testicles descend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Plus they don't enjoy someone looking hehe.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Betta Bomb

oh my!! Congrats then on your little boy!! ^^ It's SO hard to sex bunnies. Even when Acacia was 4-5 months old (when I got her) we were still only 75% sure we had a girl. We were mauling the poor things comparing their naughty slits to each other This happens to many many people who then end up with unwanted litters Anyway, if the 2 boys are neutered they can still live together, no?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Rodentologist

Two male bunnies aren't IMPOSSIBLE to bond, but it's not a very easy bond either. Generally it's recommended to try male/female neutered as those are the easiest. I've had more female/female pairs than male/male pairs, for what it's worth.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Two male bunnies aren't IMPOSSIBLE to bond, but it's not a very easy bond either. Generally it's recommended to try male/female neutered as those are the easiest. I've had more female/female pairs than male/male pairs, for what it's worth.
For what it's worth, I've had two male/male pairs (neutered, of course) and found them easier to bond than female/female. Same sex pairs are definitely more difficult but like Jennicat said, it's not impossible .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
For what it's worth, I've had two male/male pairs (neutered, of course) and found them easier to bond than female/female. Same sex pairs are definitely more difficult but like Jennicat said, it's not impossible .
We've also had a trend of the male pairs breaking bonds for whatever reason. We've had 4-5 male pairs in the past few years (out of about 10) just break up for no real reason. One owner was able to bond hers back together, but it did take about a year. The others ended up being paired with ladies. I haven't had that happen with m/f or f/f pairs so far (*knock on wood*).

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I think it depends on each rabbit's personality. I had a male/male bond and it was love at first sight - they where completely inseparable and when one of them passed away, the other became so depressed that I thought we might loose him too.

Now I have a trio that's two males and a female - the two males I have now (one of them is the same male that was in my first male/male bond) where much harder to bond than my original pair and had to be rebonded once (after the trio had to be split up due to medical issues), but get along together fine now.

But in general yeah, male/female (both fixed) are the easiest to bond. Still, it's not imposable to have two females or even two males bond.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Betta Bomb

Or since I lived through it - just keep them separate if they decide not to get along. Of course, play time is divided into 2 and they have a kind of permanent tension which I didn't notice until Akina passed away (bc then it was lifted.) I think Acacia's the only who didn't miss Akina's passing ()

Tags
flemish giant, wrong sex