male and female bunnys - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

male and female bunnys

hi i have male and female rabbits they have been together since they were weeks old i rescued them from a woman i am letting the female have one litter then there both getting fixed there about 4months old quite small sized rabbits bigger than ur hand but still small i check them everyday as they stay in a 2 teir hutch in my garden but it doesnt look like they are doing anything do u think they will ever mate i have checked the male he has all his bits lol help please!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Can I ask why you are breeding them? Especially since you said they are rescues. There are already thousands of homeless rabbits in shelters waiting for homes, and it's really not recommended to breed any animal with unknown genetic history.

I would guess they probably already have mated. It only takes a few seconds and I doubt you have your eye on them 24/7. I would recommend that you remove the male from the cage with the female and just wait to see if the female is pregnant. If you leave the male in the cage with her he could hurt the babies if she has any and he can also get the female pregnant again right after she has her first litter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i was told never to take them apart as they have been together since 8weeks old i only ant her to have a litter as i think she deserves to be a mum but only once i check her everyday but am not sure maybe they have mated i looked online how to check her tummy i check everyday but dont seem like there is baby in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you keep them together, there is a chance that the male could injure or even kill the babies when they are born. Is that a risk you want to take?

Also, female rabbits can get pregnant again immediately after giving birth. If you keep the male with her, and she does have babies, the chance is high that you will end up with more than just one litter because the male will most likely get her pregnant again right after she gives birth to the first litter.

She deserves to be a mom? What about all the rabbits who get euthanized in shelters because there aren't enough people adopting them? Don't they deserve to live and have loving homes? Instead of selling or giving away the baby bunnies that you make, you can encourage people to adopt or rescue like you did for the two you have.

Your rabbit won't care if she never has any babies. She'll be perfectly happy and content without having a litter. In fact, breeding can be risky business. I hope you have a lot of money saved up in case you have to take the mother or the babies to the vet. Having babies is very stressful on a females body and there can be complications.

I'm not against responsible breeding. However, breeding two rescue bunnies that you don't know the history of because you think the rabbit "deserves to be a mum" is not responsible breeding to me. Enjoy your rabbits as pets, and leave the breeding to the experts. Seriously, your female rabbit won't be upset or even care if she's not allowed to have babies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM
is a little "special"

Exactly. Animals couldn't care less whether or not they have babies. Breeding her will stress her out and shorten her lifespan. Do her a favor and get her spayed!

Are they litter mates? If they are, the babies could have serious birth defects.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

no there different litters i have read alot about this and have decided not to breed them for the fact that my female could die i cant risk loosing her and we think the male is already fixed as he has no testicles but he gets checked next week
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

You made a good decision. Your rabbits won't care that they don't have any babies and it will be better for their health, especially for the female.

Good luck when you take them in to the vet.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Betta Bomb

It's such a responsible decision to let them live without having babies. Breeding for the heck of it is not smart for the reasons posted above. I'm glad you changed your mind. However, its a little silly for you to say you think the male is neutered if you've had him since birth basically!! That would mean YOU would have had to have him neutered and therefore, should remember. lol So I doubt he's neutered but I strongly recommend having the female spayed. Females have a 85% chance of developing uterine cancer, that will definitely end her life by cutting it in half. Spayed females can live to be 10-12!!

Tags
rabbits