Male - or Female!! PHOTOS. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Question Male - or Female!! PHOTOS.

You may recall I rescued Poppy, then called "Poopy" , from a garage sale, and the owners who got her as a youngster told me she was female. There never really was any doubt. But now, in another thread, this question has come up!

So, I turned her upside down again. . . and I may indeed have a male!!

OK, you bunny experts tell me, can a female have these?? If not, I have just saved over $200 on a spay, although it does result in some gender confusion!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 01:24 PM

I can honestly say I have no idea, but I'm not a bunny expert. Just gonna bump this up so some bunny experts can see it.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 01:30 PM

hello-
looks like you have a male!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 02:01 PM

Here are a few links with photo's to help you sex rabbits properly
However from the photo it does appear to be a male, but if I were you, I would check out the photo links below as well.

http://www.geocities.com/dutchrabbitinfo/sexing.html
http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 04:47 PM

lol weird! it looks like a boy to me
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It looks like a male to me, but I'm not all that great at sexing bunnies.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 06:01 PM

Definately looks like a little boy!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

I asked the pet store manager I have known for years and he assured me those elongated pink "things" the female does do not have; bucks do.

Does? As Homer Simpson would say, D'oh!!

The websites that supposedly offer instructions on sexing rabbits are often confusing with tiny dark little photos.

I never thought Poppy could be a male as there was never any typical male behavior such as spraying. So I just assumed Poppy was a female as I was told.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:13 PM

sometimes rabbits can change sexes. were still not sure if Jamy's a male or female, she's missing the parts you have pictured, but has everyhting else. and female rabbits do sometimes spray, Izzy sprays, she only got me once though!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I don't see how a rabbit can "change" sex, but misidentifying them seems common. Poppy is defintely a boy! I have it confirmed from many people! No spay needed! Whew. I won't even neuter him unless I sometime in the future introduce him to a friend.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
I asked the pet store manager I have known for years and he assured me those elongated pink "things" the female does do not have; bucks do.

Does? As Homer Simpson would say, D'oh!!

The websites that supposedly offer instructions on sexing rabbits are often confusing with tiny dark little photos.

I never thought Poppy could be a male as there was never any typical male behavior such as spraying. So I just assumed Poppy was a female as I was told.
I didn't find out that Toffee was a male until he was 6! And by then it was too late to neuter
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud
I didn't find out that Toffee was a male until he was 6! And by then it was too late to neuter
And why did you feel he should be neutered??
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:22 PM

He was aggressive. Very. I think it was to be expected, really. I should have known better than to just assume that he was a she and was a nasty bunny, and looked into it further.

I got him when I was 8 as a present. Sure, I wanted him but... I can't say I was a great owner. I know better now. I didn't know about neutering until he was 6, and I figured out that she was a he, and it was too late then anyway. I didn't even click that she was a he when he sprayed every time I walked past. Like I said, I was young and undereducated. Another reason not to buy your kids a pet of their own.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud
He was aggressive. Very. I think it was to be expected, really. I should have known better than to just assume that he was a she and was a nasty bunny, and looked into it further. . .
Ahh. . . and that is why I never thought Poppy was anything BUT a female; he was never aggresive or nasty in any way, just sweet.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:37 PM

I thought that getting a rabbit neutered eliminated risks of some form of cancer?

I know it does with dogs, I thought it did with rabbits too. If not, just ignore me

Tags
neutered male, pet store