Manicures for Rabbits! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Manicures for Rabbits!

I'm back (:
Don't know if any of you remember me but, I haven't been on in such a long time. I hardly recognize some of the usernames! Haha.

Anyway, for those of you who don't know me my name is Caroline and I have a lop bunny named Ruby. She just turned 1 this past February and she's doing alright.

The reason I bring up this tread is because I'm having a bit of a problem. I have uh, sorta big neglecting Ruby's nails.. for .. a lot time (and when I say long I mean long). I hadn't really noticed how long they were because it doesn't seem to be bothering her or myself. But I was holding her yesterday (in my new pair of shorts; the weather is getting nice again) and she went to kick away and literally made a 1/5 of an inch deep cut in my leg. Might not sound like a lot but it bled for a while. I'm fine but, poor Ruby! Those nails are ridiculous. The whole reason I hadn't trimmed them up was because she hated it so much, and I felt like I was hurting her.

I just need to know if there is any special thing I can do so she can't kick around as much. I have my mom hold her but she'll get cuts too and I just want to avoid that stuff. I was thinking about taking her to the vet (she needs a check up anyway) and maybe asking them to clip them and then when they're shorter it'll be easier to clip? I don't know

What do you guys do? (also, if you read all that.. bless you!!!)

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

There's a position that's like a bunny hypnotism. What you do is slowly roll them onto their back(do NOT force it), and hold them steady. In this position they don't struggle, and they act sort of hypnotized. It makes nail trimming a lot easier; just make sure one of you is holding her to ensure she doesn't struggle and hurt herself. Otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue - you can clip her nails and she shouldn't struggle. Also, I don't clip the front claws; they always seem too weak to be able to handle it, and I trust she can gnaw them down herself with her teeth. The back claws, though...yeah, I do those.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

But not all rabbits can be "tranced", or held in that position. It works for some of them, but not all.

If that doesn't work for you, you can try a "bunny burrito" - Wrap a towel or blanket around her and cover all her paws except for the one you are working on cutting. Then you could have your mom or someone hold her securely while you cut the nails. You shouldn't have to worry about getting scratched too much, because her other paws will be inside the blanket.

Or hold her on your lap, and gently take each paw one at a time and cut the nails while she is sitting on your lap. My bunnies seem calmer about getting their nails cut if their paws are on something solid instead of them being picked up.

Remember that it's important to keep their nails short. If they get too long, it can change what part of their foot gets pressure placed on it which can cause sore hocks.

How's Ruby doing besides her long nails?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

If I'm not mistaken you will need to just clip alittle nail off at a time because if the nails are too long if you cut off to much the first time the nail will split.

Keeping nails trimmed if very important

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Betta Bomb

Ruby has probably definetly got white nails so it will be easy to see the quick! SOOOO, as a plus (and to save you money at the vet) Try the trance, but like Dragonrain said not all bunnies can be and mine absolutley despise it! Akina will not allow it now with all her vet experience O.o
What I used to do was to get my mom or someone else who could confidently hold a rabbit and I would just pick away at them with my clippers. Since my mom has become increasingly depressed and Im hardly available when she is to hold my bunnies, when they need a good clipping I hold Akina (havent needed to do Acacia this way yet) in my right arm sitting up (hand out stretched on her belly and under her fore arms to hold her up) and clip them with my left-Im let handed btw so it's easy for me to do it this way.

Maybe try the burrito but I havent had much luck with this.
Good luck, and glad your back!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Sounds good. My mom said that she'll help me later tonight so I'll try both ways.

And Ruby is good. A little bit thin lately but she's going for a check up soon. Btw, does anyone know how old is too old to spay? Just wondering..

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 PM
can't think of one, help

If she's only a year old she's definately not too old to spay, do it. I wish I had done it for my little girl.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
If that doesn't work for you, you can try a "bunny burrito" - Wrap a towel or blanket around her and cover all her paws except for the one you are working on cutting. Then you could have your mom or someone hold her securely while you cut the nails. You shouldn't have to worry about getting scratched too much, because her other paws will be inside the blanket.
This is what I do with Fiona, it's seriously the only way for her. She's one of those rabbits that can't be tranced. I do it by myself so it's doable with one person--just takes a little practice .

For Elvis, I usually just sit on a chair with him and give him a big carrot or a salad. I gently (and quickly) cut his nails as he eats .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
is a little "special"

I just sit on a chair or something with Smudge is my lap, pull his little feet out from under him, and clip his toes. Ive been doing it this way with him for years, so he is really well behaved by now... I think that he figured out that the less he struggles, the faster its over with!
I did something different with out other rabbit though- We have this table on our deck that kind of has a wire grid on it, instead of a solid surface. I put Oreo on top of that so his toes stuck through the holes, and went under the table and clipped them that way. He didnt even know he was having his nails trimmed! If you can find a grid-type surface to put Ruby on, that might work.

And spaying can be done at any age (6 months is the best age to do it at), but once your rabbit is around 6-7 years old it gets more risky. I got Smudge done when he was 5 1/2, so Im sure that Ruby will be just fine as long as you find a good vet!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
nails trim