Meet Spotty! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Meet Spotty!

This guy came from the local shelter...sometime after Easter In case anyone spotted the wire bottomed cage, well, he doesn't live in there anymore as I learned their little feet were too tender for that! And here I thought I had built him such a lovely cage. We are always learning, aren't we?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buncarrot.jpg (30.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg bunsit.jpg (27.1 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:25 PM

I love him
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 09:59 PM

Actually, whether to use wire or not depends a lot on the rabbit. A study showed that most rabbits actually prefer wire, as long as they do not only have wire and do not have already sore feet or poor furring on their feet (which is what leads to the sore feet in the first place). They put rabbits in cages that were half wire and half solid bottom. They put a food dish and a water bottle on each side of the cage, so rabbits would not have to move onto or off of the wire if they did not want to. During the study, they found that most of the rabbits prefered to stay on the wire side, with only a small percentage prefering the solid side. Both sides were kept very clean, so dirtiness was not a factor in the rabbits choosing one side over the other. Not only were the rabbits witnessed spending more time on the wire side, but the food and water containers on the wire side emptied much faster than on the solid side, showing that the rabbits were on the wire side eating and drinking more than on the solid side.

Certain breeds, like rex, mini rex (looks like you have a mini rex, from the picture), and giant breeds (flemish giant, checkered giant, etc...due to their weight) sometimes are prone to sore hocks (the sore feet) from the wire, and some do better on solid flooring than on wire. Another alternative (and my first choice) is to line at least half of the cage with plastic resting mats that have holes for the urine and feces to escape, but provide much more support than the wire alone does. These are much more sanitary than solid flooring. With solid flooring, if a rabbit has parasites, it can keep being reinfested by the eggs and the adult parasites. Wire cages (and the plastic resting mats) are much easier to keep sanitized and don't hold bacteria like wood, shavings, and other litter does. It also keeps rabbits from digging dirty litter and feces into their food and water containers (which is very common among rabbits, the little brats lol).

So really, as long as the rabbit is not subjected to just plain wire with no relief, wire is actually a good choice. It just needs some touches of comfort, like a litterbox, resting mats, and a nice area to sleep on (preferably NOT made out of cloth because rabbits can tear cloth up, eat it, and get serious intestinal blockage which can be life-threatening...metal or hard plastic nesting boxes with fresh straw make for good, easy-to-clean beds as well as for giving birth, and as long as it is not placed right next to or over where the rabbit goes to the bathroom, they generally don't urinate or deficate in the box much).

Just in case you were not aware, you rabbit looks like a broken castor (the colour) mini rex (the breed). My favourite breed! He's a cutie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Very cute!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:07 PM

Awww, great pics! I love rexes. He looks like my Rusty in the face, but then again they all rexes have that cute face.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 AM

awwwwwwwwww!!! adorable!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Miyabita! I have had Spotty for about 6 months and he is my first rabbit, so I'll take any teachin' I can get! I knew he was a Rex, but didn't know what the coloring was called.

Right now, he is in a cage with solid flooring and seems happy there. He's very clean, always using the litter box, so where he sits is always dry. Good bunny, huh? I put the cage I made previously(in the pics) outside and was thinking of letting him spend a little time out there next summer in a shady spot once in awhile. He's an indoor bunny now, but he wasn't before, so I wonder if he misses the outdoors? It took awhile for him to enjoy the human interaction as he was pretty much left alone by his former owner, I think. When I brought him home he was awfully skidish, but he is warming up alot.

I get alot of info from this site. One of the shelter workers pointed me to it and I was glad she did! I'll bet you are familiar with it already:

http://www.rabbit.org/
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Awww, great pics! I love rexes. He looks like my Rusty in the face, but then again they all rexes have that cute face.
I see you found him. Is there a pic of Rusty around here somewhere?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 01:22 PM

Awee! I love the first picture so much!

Congrats on your new bun bun!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Crazy Chin Lady...
Nothing any cuter than a munchin' bun, don't you agree? Here's another one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunstick.jpg (23.1 KB, 11 views)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Then again...cleaning up is pretty darn cute, too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunwashing.jpg (38.7 KB, 11 views)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbic56
I see you found him. Is there a pic of Rusty around here somewhere?
Yep, I found the pics. Well Rusty is the bunny laying down in the "enjoy life be hoppy" blinkie in my sig. There are also a bunch of pics of him on here in the rabbit section. There are pics of Sonora too, my other bun.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 03:12 PM

SBIC56, you can always take him outside on a harness and leash or build an exersize pen form him where he can play outside for a while while you watch him. Just make sure the plants he can get to are not chemically treated, because once he gets used to the harness or the play area, he will definitely want to sample the plants!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 03:41 PM

What a doll!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Spotty

Wow that is one handsom bunny Rex, what is he doing with that carrot, I must say he is lovely and spotty he is spotty.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
flemish giant, litter box, local shelter, mini rex, wire cage, wire cages