Mice in Rabbits cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mice in Rabbits cage

Hi,

I have a Dwarf Lop Eared rabbit, actually he is huge so I think I was mis-informed when I bought him
During the last week or so I have noticed two mice (I think they are field mice) in the rabbits cage. They hide behind his litter tray, they look very sweet and I don't really want to bother them but I am worried that they might pass something on to the rabbit.

Not sure if this belonged in mice or rabbits

Any advice will be appricated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Hello Earthling

I would say remove the rabbit, catch the mice (in a bucket or something) and release them in a field.

I would be worried about them possibly biting the rabbit or contaninating the food etc...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Darn hard to catch mice. They'll keep coming back. Usually mice are attracted to food - what are you feeding your rabbit? If what you're feeding your rabbit contains seeds and nuts, then the mice are probably attracted by that. Rabbits should be on pellets only, and trust me... mice aren't attracted to pellets, I've tried to get my own mouse interested, but he has none whatsoever.

Mice also like dark, sheltered, locations. Such as behind a litter box. Is the litter box in a corner of the cage that's next to a wall? Perhaps try moving it to where it's more out in the open.

Where's the cage located? Someplace quiet? Perhaps you could move it to a room that gets a lot of traffic. The mice won't feel nearly as obligated to stay in the cage if you do that - they want someplace that's quiet and hidden away. If there's always the noise of a TV, or people stomping around, chances are they won't feel inclined to make home in your rabbit's cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

My rabbit is in an outside hutch with two covers made for it so will be quite snug in there. He has been on a new fruity food that is not all pellets, he won't eat the pellets It does have quite a strong fruity smell so I will change that. The litter box is in a corner but I will not be able to move it out to much.

Heres hoping the food change does the trick...Thumper will not be happy at all
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The food is probably what's attracting them - they'll probably leave when you change it.

We have a resident Deer Mouse that likes to hide in the cat food container and have a feast. I've come across her many a time when I'm in the bathroom(where the container is), taking a bath. I'll hear: *nibblenibble* ....*nibblenibble*

And when I get up to look, I lift off the top and she just sits there staring at me like, "...What? It IS for me, isn't it?"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

Are they wild, or did they get in there from the pet store on accident? Either way, I think you need to get them out. The rabbit could seriously hurt them...or anything really. Get the rabbit out the cage, and try and catch them. Bunny could get kinda territorial.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

There are some humane traps that you can try to get them out of there with and take them far away...

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Organized-.../dp/B0026K6Z88

And there are some out there to make too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When I have had problems with mice in my hutches, my rabbits have ended up with tapeworm in the spring. If you google "better mouse trap", you will find instruction on how to build a mouse trap to live trap the little critters in a humane way.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Whatever you do, do NOT use glue traps!!! the manufacture likes to make people think they're humane, but they're not. They get stuck so fast to the glue, that they wind up tearing their skin trying to pull away from it, and get a heart attack because they're so scared. There's horror stories about it if you google it. :/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Betta Bomb

Change the food for your bunny!

Tags
mice, rabbits