Microchipping Bunnies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Microchipping Bunnies

Does any one here have their bunny microchipped?
I was thinking about getting Smudge microchipped for part of his birthday present, and I thought it would be nice because hes out side most of the time. I highly dout he would runaway or anyhting, but sometimes his curiousity gets the best of him! Especially with the woods in my back yard, wich he LOVES to play in.
Smudge has escaped me a couple times before, and even tho I put his collar on him when hes out, its a saftey collar that comes undone if it gets caught on something, so it woulndt stay on for sure.
So has anyone else gotten their bun microchipped? Did they mind the shot, or did it hurt them alot?
Or am I just the only wierdy who obsesses over everything, LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

I considered microchipping my bunnies awhile back. I don't think it bothers them any more than it would a dog or cat.

I was told when I was researching it that the problem with it is that it's still a pretty uncommon pratice to chip rabbits, and most places (even shelters) don't bother checking rabbits for the chips when they come in.

I guess it would really depend where you live, and if he ever got lost, who picked him up. You might get lucky and the particular shelter/rescue or whatever might check him, but they might not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Part of the Pack

Molly was given a tatoo inside her ear when we had her spayed. Don't microchips float inside their bodies...not necessarily staying put where they were inserted? I have to agree that it is not common practice to check for microchips on bunnies like with cats and dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I had my rabbits microchipped because they also live outside. I don't think they really needed it, but it sure gave me peace of mind. It is fairly expensive, about $50 plus the price of the exam. I live in the Twin Cities and a couple of months ago, I think I remember the Humane Society had a clinic where you could get your pet microchipped at a discount. You might check with them to see if they have any clinics coming up. Petco might also have clinics for microchipping, as they have clinics for dog and cat vaccines. The microchip is about the size of a cooked grain of rise, so I'm sure it probably doesn't feel too good going in. My rabbits got their chips at the time they were spayed, so they were asleep at the time. I watched my cats get microchipped, and it only bothered them for a few seconds.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

One of the vets my be does it for $37, but $50 isnt too bad either. I just got a big baby-sitting check, so I dont think that would be a problem! ^^

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
microchip, rabbit