Millie is having her spay/surgery this thursday... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Millie is having her spay/surgery this thursday...

Anybody have any helpful advice in regards to spay recovery--Jack recovered fairly quickly (though his surgery was a little more extensive than the typical neuter b/c I had him neutered before his testicles were descenced). I know Jack will be relieved once she chills out with the hormonal energy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Rodentologist

Be sure to have a smaller cage where she can be somewhat confined for a few days and be prepared to hand feed in case she doesn't bounce back as quickly as anticipated.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Poooooppp!

Speckle was spayed and I didn't really have to do anything, she didn't move much, but that was probably because she was still drugged, she started eating that night

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Newborn Pup

Noodle was spayed just two weeks ago. She has been very subdued since the surgery but gradually a bit more like herself each day. She is still not 100% as active as before the surgery. She seems to be fine as far as eating, pooping and peeing but now uses her litterbox much better than pre-surgery, which is what we had hoped for. Our vet's office was very supportive and pro-active with everything which helped us a lot.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Betta Bomb

As mentioned above, it may take some time depending on the bunny. When Acacia was spayed, she was 6 months old and it took her a couple months to totally change. She healed fine. When I brought her home she wouldn't eat so they gave me Critical Care for Herbivores. Ask your vet about it and if they think you should take some home just in case. It just encourages her to eat again. Acacia got cold and I remember warming a sweater for her and giving her cuddly toys. Overall, the survival rate is probably the closest its ever been to 100%.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Millie has had her surgery and is staying over night at the vets office. They said that she woke up slowly, but was coming around (moving a little I guess)~they gave her pain meds for over-night. Jack is searching for his Millie...I think he is considering hopping the babygate--he keeps standing up sniffing the air all around the babygate...he never does that (usually too busy running away from Millie's humping attempts!! I <3 my bunnies!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
It's all for them

Thanks for the update on Millie. I'm always glad when the pet is kept overnight after a spay. They are more likely to stay quiet in a cage at the hospital, for that crucial first 24 hours.

But then the homecoming of course is wonderful!

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw, Millie will have a mad face when she comes home... \()/ That's nice she'll get to cuddle Jack now again. awww.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Millie is home, and does seem a little upset with me--could be the pain meds still in her system. The moment I let her into her crate she jumped in her litter box (a new one) and thumped at me hard--kicking her hay out She is on isolation for 7 days, then goes back to the vet to have her incision checked--then she may be allowed some play time with Jack.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 PM
It's all for them

Hurray! Welcome home Millie!

Declawing: please read this first
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Betta Bomb

YAY welcome home!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Millie update...

Took Millie back to the vet this morning cause she developed a lump on her incision site--no redness and incision looks healed up good. Vet removed fluid from the lump---from irritation caused by internal sutures. She's still on isolation for a couple of days to be sure that nothing further develops (more time to heal)--but all in all she's doing really good--eating and using her litterbox as usual.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Poooooppp!

awww, that stinks, at least it isn't anything bad!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Betta Bomb

keep us updated!!