Millie making a nest??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Millie making a nest???

It has been a while since my last post but now I have a question. Jack is neutered-Millie still not (but will be)...yesterday she pulled out all of the hay from her box and when I went to get them out this morning she had a TON of hair mixed in with it--like a bunny nest--is this normal?? She is almost 1 yr old...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Betta Bomb

It depends on when you got Jack neutered. If you had them together and then put them together right after his neuter she could be pregnant. A male's hormones, testosterone and sperm take a while before going away completely. I would like to suggest a false pregnancy but since she is not spayed there is greater chance that she is preggers. :/

The only way you can be sure she's experiencing a false pregnancy (which is still common even if he was neutered years ago) is if she was for sure out reach of a fertile male. . When was Jack neutered?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Jack was neutered almost a year ago!! wouldn't she have had any babies by now???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

It's probably a false pregnancy then. That's not uncommon in unspayed females. Her hormones make her body think she is pregnant, even though she's not. So they will build nests, possibly act aggressive, have all the behaviors associated with pregnancy except of course they're will be no babies.

I really suggest you get Millie spayed when you can. Even false pregnancy's are stressful for the rabbits and she'll probably keep having them randomly until she's spayed. Spaying females is important for other medical reasons as well, such as eliminating reproductive cancers which are actually a very common cause of death in adult unspayed female rabbits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yep--shes become very sexually aggressive (exausting Jack--he's running away a lot--aka lots of exercise for him)...I have always planned to get her spayed so I guess I'll make that appointment today!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Betta Bomb

The biggest mistake in my life was not spaying Akina. I mean that. I regret it every day.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Poooooppp!

I never asked, what happened to Akina?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have waited with spaying Millie b/c I (though most disagree) think it's a pretty major surgery--Jack was neutered and it was supposed to be a quick/easy neuter, and even he had complications. So, I'm nervous about having it done to MIllie. I know it is for her own good, but I hate to be the cause of any pain (I've had 2c-sections and it HURTS!! to have abdominal surgery)...i'll just pray for her cause she's being spayed on Thursday.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

I understand. All surgeries are stressful and there is always the possibility of complications.

You're doing the right thing though. With you're help, she will heal up and get over the pain of the spay. She may be sore and unhappy for awhile while she is healing, but it will be far less painful than what she'd have to endure if she wasn't spayed and developed cancer (which is very common in unspayed females).

Also bunnies, to me, seem so much happier as pets when they don't have their constantly raging hormones to deal with.

Good luck with Millie. As long as you have an experienced rabbit vet doing the surgery she should be fine. Keep us updated!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Betta Bomb

Definitely. I will keep her in my thoughts for a successful spay tomorrow. I'm sure everything will be alright. It's nerve racking, of course, and god knows she will feel pain but it will be forgotten in no time bc she will live so many more years!!!!