Is this MOLTING? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Is this MOLTING?

We have 4 buns: two 4-year-olds and two 10-month-olds.

One of my 4-year-olds, Sammie, is a shiny black Dutch. This week, we've noticed a lot more hair in the rabbit room. (The two adults have their own room.) I know that rabbits molt, but I've never seen this in the 4 years we've had the buns. Sammie's normally shiny black coat is kind of grey and fuzzy. There are HUGE tufts of hair coming out when we pet him. I mean... it's A LOT of hair.

Is this normal? He's eating and otherwise acting the same as always. Here's a bad iPhone photo for a better idea of the "tufts" I'm talking about.

Thanks for advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 PM
is a little "special"

Yup, that's what my black Dutch looks like when he is molting badly too!
It helps a lot to "pluck" out all those loose tuffs of fur, and brush him too of course. Give him some papaya treats too, so if he ingests any fur he can pass it easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Betta Bomb

Sure is a good ol' molt.

Has there been any drastic weather changes recently?? It's weird that you haven't molted in 4 years O.o

Get a rubber nub brush (Zoom Groom) or furminator (some ppl like these, I haven't tried it) and brush him outside- so it all blows away rather than clog your breathing source inside.