more basic rabbit help please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

more basic rabbit help please

okay...
how can i lessen the amount of territorial droppings in her cage? (besides getting her spayed, i will do that when i have money)
also... am i not picking her up right. i pick her up by her middle and support her bottom feet. she kicks and wiggles like heck and scrathes me. its all i can do to hold on to her. she is very tame exept for that. i am scared she is going to end up hurting herself trying to get away from me. the only time i handle her is to put her in her playpen or take her back to the cage. maybe i should handle her more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:49 AM

A lot of rabbits do not like to be held and the easiest way for me to pick up my two is to grab them by the scruff with one hand and lift up with one hand supporting the rump. Bunnies are prey animals and don't like to be off the ground so you have to be very careful.
Try litter box training her and she will learn to poo in only one place.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

she IS litter box trained. and she does poop in the same place. however she still scatters out a poop here and a poop there. i have read that it is territorial behavior. i am wondering how to make her feel like she doesnt need to show me thats her teritory anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:50 PM

I think spaying will help a lot. But remember, some bunnies never fully become litter box trained. She also is not fully grown yet, so give her some time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:10 PM

as far as picking her up and holding her goes, i had the same problem with my young rabbit Sniffles- she didn't like to be held at all, while my older rabbit loved it. But then I found that if i cradled her in my arms like a baby and petted her head she would relax and wouldn't kick at me. She'd just lie there and trance out. This is the only way I can hold her now, but she loves it. Also, when i pick her up i make sure i support her back end - she seems to feel more secure like that. Maybe it would work for your bunny too?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

thanks. well for the time being i am not carrying her. i have a pet carrier i gentally "herd" her into when i put her in the play pen or back in the cage. two days of this and already she gets right in the carrier. after she gets more used to me i will start trying to carry her more. i feel so much safer this way for now. thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 10:18 AM

I do this too. I have a felt ferret tent that my bunnies get carried in when they go to their play run. They have proper carriers if they need to go to the vet, though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:46 PM

I have the same problem unfortunately....as soon as i got my bunny he was very receptive and was litterbox trained right away, it was GREAT!! But ever since he got neutered he has been doing those territorial droppings, not in the house, only in his cage....AND he only does it when Im not around. Its so strange, I can be home all day and he wont do it but when I wake up in the morning they are scattered around again! Soooooo frustrating....and I dont pick my bunny up anymore (he really hates it and freaks out), so he cant be afraid of that...I dont know what it is.

I love my bun, just wish he could be a little more considerate for me who has to clean up the poo hahaha!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

whelp, its been nearly a week and my rabbit stoped those territorial droping. i didnt do anything diffrent tho. i guess she realized that i know thats HER cage. lol, silly rabbit
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I have the same problem with Schneeball =^o^= he will drop Nesquick everywhere, I have not actualy let him out in my flat for quite some time now, as I usualy take him out onto the communal with his harnass.

and he spends all his time rubbing his Chin, he stares at me from inside the wire of his hutch and I can hear it landing on the wood, but in all hounestly it does not bother me, its just a shame because he started off so well.

Im sure you will have a better chance of completing what I failed, I realy is up to the rabbit to learn andd cooperate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
box trained, litter box, litter box trained, litter box training