More Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

More Questions

Hey! Just got done cleaning Lola's cage lol it took me a long time, I had to make it perfect. I put feline pine and some feret/bunny litter that makes the sent that makes them want to use the bathroom there and I mixed that up. *yeah* I was wonder is 3 months too young to feed carrots? I bout some really nice ones with long greens, I know she'll love them if they are safe 4 her to eat, also what fruits are good? Thanks!
~Megan~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

There is such a debate about what age you should feed your rabbits vegies. In Aus they say to feed vegies from 6 weeks, in the us four months is the recommended age. Steph also stated in another thread that carrots aren't that good for rabbits. I've never heard of this and my rabbits have always eaten carrots with no dramas. The tops are excellent for them though! My suggestion would be to just give her a small amount first, watch for any stool changes. If her stools stay the same then give her a little bit more.
Fruits - I generally keep fruit as a treat, just for the sugar content....they can get addicted to sugar. But mine eat all fruits, apple, mango, plums, strawberries, watermelon, dew melon, etc. etc. I've never fed an orange or mandarin!!!! Just keep them in small amounts for the sugar factor and their high water content!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I'll keep one carrot and make it last a really long time and feed the other three to my horse. Also, how long does it normaly take for a rabbit to start using the litter box? I put it in there and she's peed/pooped on the other side of the cage already so I put it in her liter box. I know she not ganna wake up tomarrow and use it perfectly but how long does it normaly take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:53 PM

I got Sonora when she was about 3 months and fed her all kinds of veggies. She did fine so I think your bun will be fine too. Just start out slow and make sure you feed leafy greens as well. I've heard carrots aren't that great, but I do give them to my bunnies. And like Carmen says, she gives them to hers and has no problems. I think carrots are fine as long as its in moderation.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:57 PM

Red face Re Feeding Bunnies

I Feed My Bunnies Carrots, Curly Kale, Broccoli, Sweetcorn And Any Sort Of Veg From The Cabbage Family.. I Have Done This Since They Were 6 Weeks Old( When I Got Them).. My 2 Previous Bunnies Would Eat Everything I Put In Their Bowl..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

okie dokies, but what about the litterbox training? How long normaly?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:19 PM

Sonora took to it right away. I don't think it should take too long. If your bun normally goes to the bathroom in a certain corner, but the litter box there. You can also put hay in the box, and put her food dish near the box so she can eat while she goes to the bathroom. They like to do that Also, your bunny's litter box habits will be a lot better after she's spayed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

ok, yeah, here I thought I should keep the box away from the food, when it needs to be by it lol, she goes right by it.. I dont understand lol u'd think they'd nto want to accidently get it in their food but w/e lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:24 PM

Yep, they love eating and going to the bathroom at the same time. I put a lot of hay in the litter box and they love to munch on it while they go. If you pile more hay in the front, it encourages them to put their behind against the back part of the box, which is good in my case because the back is higher than the front.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Oh, one other thing, Lola really likes to chew carpet whats the best way to stop this? I put like metal puppy fencing from her cage and made a little box so she can stay in her cage or run around a bit, there are towls down right now while she's learning only to go to the bathroom in the litter box. Does that sound ok? She seems to like it alot, but she has to stay in her cage at night, but its nice because while I'm gone she can get outta her cage without me worring about her (Its not the big, the rectangle is like 3ft by 1 1/2 - 2ft)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

yeah, I got a highback litter box and the food is in the front, I got her a hay bin and instaed of eating it from the opening (which would be the easiest) she stands on her hind legs and eats from the top *Go figure*
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Bunnies chew carpet, towels...pretty much anything. She will most likely always chew carpet, and she will probably start chewing the towels you have down now. When I let Sonora out, I have to watch her because she chews up the couch and the carpet behind our couch. I have Rusty in an exercise pen with straw mats from Pier 1. He has already chewed a hole in one of them. They will chew anything besides a hard plastic floor or wire, but its fine if you have her on towels as long as you don't mind getting them chewed up eventually.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks. lol I was also wonderin about those bunny leashes/harnses are those ok for them? They are like partly mesh, but that can't hurt them right? THey aer sold at petsmart for like $6
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:37 PM

I'm sure its fine if its made for bunnies. I think I've seen the one your talking about. I haven't gotten one for mine because I don't have a yard, but I think Carmen (RSbunny) puts a harness on her rabbits.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

ok thankies

Tags
feline pine, hind legs, litter box