Moving - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Moving

I might be moving soon back up to wisconsin. Whats the best way to move a rabbit in the middle of summer, we'll prolly be driving, its about 16 hours, you think he would be ok in a car perhaps in a dog carrier or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:43 PM

if you can, i would get one of those "bunny's first home" cages (they're usually around $60). it is just a touch bigger than a cat carrier, you can get one with a plastic bottom so if his pellets or something spill it won't go all over the car, and it will "breath" better than a closed up carrier.

it'll have enough room for a small litterbox and his food dish and you can get a water bottle to hang on the side (i know some people like to use dishes for their buns' water, i prefer the bottle anyway just because it won't spill)

you can make him a place on the back seat (or in the front passenger seat if you prefer) and he should be fine for the trip. you may even want to bring a cooler with a few cold veggies for him just in case the car gets hot - you'll need to be careful about him getting heat stroke if the car gets too hot (80 degrees F is too hot) - you could even put a few ice cubes in the water bottle to help keep his water cold

just talk to him and keep the A/C blowing his way and he'll be perfectly fine! good luck!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

not sure if we'll be able to buy him a new carrier, but right now hes in a collapsable cage, its really getting to small for him, but it might fit in the back seat, do you think he would be more comfortable in his own cage, or the dog carrier which is more inclosed, maybe with a fan blowing on him? i dont know, im still kinda new to the whole rabbit thing, but im thinking with alot of other animals they might be less stressed if they couldnt see everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 PM

as long as you have the room for it, i'd use his cage - the car ride will be stressful enough, it'll help him to have his usually surroundings, i wouldn't worry to much about the cage getting to be too small for him, as long as he can stretch out one way or the other it'll be fine for the trip. you could even use a towel or blanket to cover part of the cage if he seems like he wants to hide, but my buns usually like to look outside and at me on car rides

a fan would actually be a great idea, you can keep it on a low speed with just enough of a breeze to keep the air flowing around him

you sound like you've got good common sense. just trust your instincts if you think something isn't working - you're going to make a great bun-mom!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

what are signs of heat stroke in a rabbit?
nvm..
found this..
Symptoms include open mouth breathing (this may be interpreted as panting, even though rabbits do not pant), slobbering, weakness, in-coordination, delirium, convulsions and eventually death. Other indications can be red/hot ears, refusal to move about and an internal temperature higher than 40.5° C or 105° F.

Last edited by Angelnstuff; 06-06-2006 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

some sites say to mist a rabbit to help keep them cool, does anyone do this? i read somewhere it was best not to wet a rabbit unless nessacary, i suppose this doesnt apply when its hot tho right?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM

i've never had to spritzed my buns, but the mist like from a battery operated mini-fan would be good since it wouldn't be enough water to really wet him, but just cool him off a bit. i don't think i'd use a regular spray bottle though
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM

i wonder.. you know how in the winter you can use hot waterbottles to keep a carrier heated for small animals? would frozen ice packs work for summer? i dont know- maybe put a few cloth covered ice packs in the carrier to keep a coolness in there or just put some ice packs around the cage? also- i would make sure he is not placed near a window which is in direct sunlight, and if that's impossible- maybe try and create a false-shade with a sheet or something, so no direct sunlight is beaming in on him.

also, as jewels mentioned, do you have AC in your car? i think if you just kept that on your bunny would be fine as well
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:06 PM

aloha

my rabbit lives with the heat all year round, we use ice, spritzing with water, and fans.

all work well, if it's hot, cool them down.

betts