moving rabbits in together - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

moving rabbits in together

how do you know for sure that the rabbits are bonded?
and how do I go about putting Charmin in Ryo's room after they appear to be bonded?

I have a spare bedroom that Ryo stays in (she has run of the house) while we are sleeping or away. After Charmin is bonded to her I want him to stay in Ryo's room too while we are sleeping or away. but I am scared that Ryo will not like another rabbit in HER room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

BUMP
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Betta Bomb

I have not successfully bonded any pair before but Im sure there will be a few scuffles. Try putting Charmins cage in the room at night unti your sure Ryo wont mind having a snuggle-buddy. Other than that, I hear it takes a few weeks or months depending on the rabbits and where Ryo has the run of the place and the spare room is HER terf, Im not entirely sure how she might react. Good luck though I hope you figure this out..

P.s, Charmin is an uber cutename for your bunny!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

yup, the spare bedroom is Ryo's turf!

but so far Ryo has been very submissive. I know that might change once Charmin goes in her room.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Um okay so what I do is I start by getting them use to having the other bunnies scent in their space. So if I where you, I'd probably take Ryo out of the room and let Charmin explore the room and get his scent in it. You can also exchange litter boxes, beds, toys, stuff like that every day to get them use to each others scent.

You could put Charmin in a cage or pen in Ryo's room but be careful because rabbits can still get into fights through the cage bars! I would suggest you not leave him where Ryo can get too - maybe put his cage up on a table or block it off with an xpen when you can't supervise. But being able to see and smell each other constantly will help with bonding.

After both their scents are in the room and they seem to be doing well with bonding, you should eventually be able to let them run around the room together. Only let them have supervised play time at first. I start off by keeping the time they are together short, then slowly increase it until they are together all the time when I'm home and only separated when I'm not around. Then eventually once I trust them together I'll let them stay together all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.