I was going to wait on posting this, but I feel I need to this now to help ease the pain I'm going through.
This past Friday, I had taken all 3 bunnies out of their pen and placed them in the sun room for their exercise/playtime. Well they were in there for about an hour when all of sudden I glanced over and noticed Beau (our shepx dog) going through the gate to the living room, so I immediately got up and told Beau to come here and he did. Then I hear the worst sound coming from the direction of the sunroom as I glance over I see Dante (our malamute) in there running like crazy, so I immediately screamed for Dante and went running towards the sunroom jumping over the gate (yes there was a gate there too), well as I get there I see Mr.Lilly flying across the room. Dante had gotten a hold of him
So I screamed for Darren not realizing he was in the shower, then grabbed Dante and took him out of the sunroom and placed him on the other side of the living room gate, went back and proceeded to check on Mr.Lilly, he appeared shaken up a bit and was limping a little. Well as I was holding him in the cradle position, Dante comes barreling through the living room gate, jumping over the gate to the sunroom and proceeds to go after Honey. So here I am holding Mr.Lilly in one arm and pulling a 130+ pound dog with the other. Finally Darren heard me screaming only because after getting dante out a 2nd time and holding Mr.Lilly I flung open the bathroom door, screaming "Dante got a hold of Mr.Lilly" over and over.
Darren checked him over and agreed that other than the limp he appeared fine, so we watched him closely Friday night. First thing Saturday morning Darren took Mr.Lilly to Dr.Frizs' where she and another vet (that takes care of rabbits) examined him thoroughly they both came to the conclusion that he had swelling on the spine and sent Darren and Mr.Lilly home with antibiotic/anti inflammatory injections. After doing this for 2 days I just was not comfortable with his condition (as he had gotten much worse), so I asked Darren yesterday to take Mr.Lilly into the 24 hour vet, the one that we can NOT stand other than the main vet that runs it, but he is hardly there. Well last night the main vet was there so after the x-rays were taken it was determined that Mr.Lilly had broken his 6th or 7th Vertibrae up from his tail underneath the spine, and it was putting pressure on the nerve. The prognosis from both him and Dr. Friz (Darren took Mr.Lilly, back in there this morning) was NOT good. It was said that he would only have about a 20% chance of full recovery, an 80% chance of getting worse and a 90+% chance of remaining the way he was. So without question Dr.Friz went and got the consent form and Darren signed it, to lay Mr.Lilly at rest.
Sadly due to the location of the break, surgery was NOT an option (at least around here).
So now you can see why I blame myself, as I should of been watching the dog's better. This is the first time in the 9 months since we've adopted Dante that he has ever done anything like this, and this is the first time that he has gone after the bunnies. He sees them everyday, he knows they are there, I just don't know what happened. Darren thinks maybe he saw them running/hopping around and he just got a little too excited. I can't really blame Dante as it is in the dog's nature to "hunt" sort of speaking, but I should of been watching more closely.
Thanks for listening.