Mr.Lillys' passing....the story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Mr.Lillys' passing....the story

I was going to wait on posting this, but I feel I need to this now to help ease the pain I'm going through.
This past Friday, I had taken all 3 bunnies out of their pen and placed them in the sun room for their exercise/playtime. Well they were in there for about an hour when all of sudden I glanced over and noticed Beau (our shepx dog) going through the gate to the living room, so I immediately got up and told Beau to come here and he did. Then I hear the worst sound coming from the direction of the sunroom as I glance over I see Dante (our malamute) in there running like crazy, so I immediately screamed for Dante and went running towards the sunroom jumping over the gate (yes there was a gate there too), well as I get there I see Mr.Lilly flying across the room. Dante had gotten a hold of him
So I screamed for Darren not realizing he was in the shower, then grabbed Dante and took him out of the sunroom and placed him on the other side of the living room gate, went back and proceeded to check on Mr.Lilly, he appeared shaken up a bit and was limping a little. Well as I was holding him in the cradle position, Dante comes barreling through the living room gate, jumping over the gate to the sunroom and proceeds to go after Honey. So here I am holding Mr.Lilly in one arm and pulling a 130+ pound dog with the other. Finally Darren heard me screaming only because after getting dante out a 2nd time and holding Mr.Lilly I flung open the bathroom door, screaming "Dante got a hold of Mr.Lilly" over and over.
Darren checked him over and agreed that other than the limp he appeared fine, so we watched him closely Friday night. First thing Saturday morning Darren took Mr.Lilly to Dr.Frizs' where she and another vet (that takes care of rabbits) examined him thoroughly they both came to the conclusion that he had swelling on the spine and sent Darren and Mr.Lilly home with antibiotic/anti inflammatory injections. After doing this for 2 days I just was not comfortable with his condition (as he had gotten much worse), so I asked Darren yesterday to take Mr.Lilly into the 24 hour vet, the one that we can NOT stand other than the main vet that runs it, but he is hardly there. Well last night the main vet was there so after the x-rays were taken it was determined that Mr.Lilly had broken his 6th or 7th Vertibrae up from his tail underneath the spine, and it was putting pressure on the nerve. The prognosis from both him and Dr. Friz (Darren took Mr.Lilly, back in there this morning) was NOT good. It was said that he would only have about a 20% chance of full recovery, an 80% chance of getting worse and a 90+% chance of remaining the way he was. So without question Dr.Friz went and got the consent form and Darren signed it, to lay Mr.Lilly at rest.
Sadly due to the location of the break, surgery was NOT an option (at least around here).
So now you can see why I blame myself, as I should of been watching the dog's better. This is the first time in the 9 months since we've adopted Dante that he has ever done anything like this, and this is the first time that he has gone after the bunnies. He sees them everyday, he knows they are there, I just don't know what happened. Darren thinks maybe he saw them running/hopping around and he just got a little too excited. I can't really blame Dante as it is in the dog's nature to "hunt" sort of speaking, but I should of been watching more closely.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited by DirtySouthChins; 02-08-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:42 PM

Aww hon, you are one of the most responsible pet owners I know! I know it is hard not to do so at this very moment but try not to blame yourself for what happened. As we all know, animals can be very unpredictable and there certainly was no way of you knowing Dante would have reacted the way he did. Hugs to you girl. Take time to heal and again please try and not blame yourself. Accidents can and do happen when we least expect it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Kim...like Denise said...you and Darren are some of the most responsible people that we all know! Dont blame yourself. Especially since Dante had never shown any signs before that he would hunt the bunnies. It is definately not your fault. Things like this unfortunately happen sometimes. *Hugs* Saying that it was your fault is just not reasonable. I mean think of it...for as long as you have had your dogs, and they have never tried to hurt the buns before. It would be like if Harlie or Max would attack Gabby...they never have ever tried to hurt her, so I wouldnt even think of watching over them when she is around. Its just the trust we have in our beloved pets. Thats just how it is sometimes and please dont beat yourself up...we easily could all be in a situation like yours. Mr.Lilly knew you loved him and did everything in your power to keep him happy and healthy. Dont be hard on yourself. Its not your fault. *hugs*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:33 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss but don't blame yourself. It would have been irresponsible if you had let the dogs run around and attack the rabbits and not taken them to the vet, but you did that. You and Darrne are some of the most responsible pet owners and people and you did everything you could. Hang in there!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:39 PM

Oh Kim! How horrible!! It sounds to me like Dante got over excited and didn't understan how big he is in relation to the fragile little bunnies. It was a complete accident! Please don't blame yourself! Mr. Lilly wouldn't blame you! We all know you are a wonderful rescuer and pet owner and that your animals are your children. Accidents happen. to you all
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your kind words... I just needed to explain what happened to help myself heal. As always you all are very understanding and I appreciate that more than words can describe.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:26 PM

Kim dont beat yourself up over this accident. It was not your fault, accidents happen that we cant avoid. Mr. Lilly knew that he was very well loved by you and Darren. :hug; we are all here for you.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM

I'm so sorry! I can only guess how devastated I would be in your situation. I know you made the right decision, and that Mr. Lilly would thank you were he able to.

I'm so sorry that this was such a hard lesson to learn for you --- it seems so unfair that someone so devoted to your animals such as you, would suffer this loss.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 04:30 PM

I'm so sorry Kim.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

O Kim! Stop blaming yourself right now! It's not your fault, just a unfortunate accident. As much as we 'know' our pets they often to things to throw us off. We can't predict their every move as much as we might like to believe we can. Mr. Lilly would not want you to blame yourself either. Take some time, as much as you need, but please don't blame yourself over it.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:12 PM

So sorry Kim! Dont blame yourself, it was just one of those things, we all know that both you and Darren are a caring couple and that no one can predict what their pets will do, it was just an unfortunate accident.. Take care!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for words
Marie you've helped me alot the past few days and I really appreciate it
Lizz your right hun, I need to stop blaming myself and just accept what happened as an accident.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sooo sorry. Once Rocky got through the gate and attacked Sake, my mini-lop, so I know how terrified you must've been .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

kim don't blame yourself I had a rabbit called Henry, at four months of age he got out of his rabbit run and Nacho thought he was a stuffed toy...he proceeded to pick him up and shake him. I didn't even know until I went to check on him (about 5 minutes later) and realised he was gone. I asked Nacho where he was and ran off and bought him to me. It was horrible. No teeth marks at all....Henry died of a heart attack. I only have one pic of him and it's not even a good one. After that Nacho never touched a rabbit again...it was like he knew. Please don't blame yourself...things happen, we can't always prevent them. It was just his time Kim

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Sasami.
Carmen thanks girlie... I'm actually doing better today Yesterday was just a very hard day and I wanted to take the blame (if that makes sense).

Tags
pet owner, responsible pet owner