My 2 dutch bunnies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My 2 dutch bunnies

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums but an avid reader of it
I JUST got my baby rabbits today woohoo! (One's my sister's)

They're both 5-6 week old baby dutch bunnies. I think they're from the same litter. One's light brown and the others dark brown. I really tried to find a shelter nearby but all of them were a good distance away so I bought them at a nearby pet store (it's actually a pretty good pet store).

Anyways my budget was a bit tight so they're both sharing a cage as of now. It's pretty small for a single full-grown dutch rabbit I think but they're both babies so it's not so bad right now but I will most likely get another cage in about 2 weeks or so.

Do you guys know what kind of bedding I should use? As of now I just lined up some newspapers on the floor of the cage. Can I use the Carefresh Pet Bedding?

I gave them 2 blankets and a small cardboard hideaway and they seem to like snuggling inside the cardboard box with their blankets. They also seem pretty healthy because they're eating really well too. And yes I will definitely get them spayed/neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

are they both girls or boys? because they could mate if they aren't i think at that age

bunnies are social so its nice they are in the cage and glad you are going to get them a bigger one soon

You can use care fresh and i think most have it in the litter box and not the rest of the cage and just have a blanket or something for the rest, you can actually get 88 cent rugs at walmart

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have no idea what their sex are. I THINK the light brown one is a boy and the dark brown a girl but I can't be sure yet. They dont really show interest in any of the blankets I put in. They prefer the cardboard and the newspaper instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome, and congrats on your new babies.

Keep in mind that rabbits reach sexual maturity and can breed sometimes as young as 3 months. I would seperate them as soon as you can then if you want too, rebond them once they've both been fixed.

For bedding, carefresh and newspaper are both fine to use. A lot of people here use Yesterday's News, it's a paper pelleted cat litter that is safe for rabbits. Most people actually don't use bedding for the whole bottom of the cage. I use Yesterday's News in my rabbits litterbox but for the rest of the cage I just give them blankets and dog beds. However, since your rabbits are still young and arn't fixed, they'll probably be messy! You can use litter all over the bottom of the cage for now then once they are fixed and better with their litter box habits, you can give them blankets and such and just use something absorbant for the litter box.

Good luck, and please feel free to post any other questions you have. Did you pick out names for them yet??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Mines the dark brown one and I decided to call her (female I THINK) Nino. My sister's is either Mozart, Jasper or Chestnut (she hasn't decided yet lol).

Anyways personality-wise Nino is pretty laid back and calm. She loves sitting by the a/c and just relaxing in the cool air.
Now Mozart/Jasper/Chestnut is a CRAZY rabbit. He flies all over my room and bites the carpet alot. And recently Nino picked that habit up too. I'm trying to stop them from doing that but I don't know how to. I just say NO to them and if they continue on I put them in time-out for 5 minutes but they just won't give up.

As for their cage, it's pretty orderly except for the pellets all over the cage. They're actually very well-behaved for such young rabbits. I gave them a bit of banana yesterday trying to teach them "Come" but they're still a bit slow and won't come to me if I don't have the banana. I tried a little bit of Ritz crackers but they don't like em.

Do you know the most effective way to litter train them when they're not fixed or is that impossible? I've just been gathering all their poop and placing it in the litter box with some hay in front of it but they don't even notice it.

And is it normal for them to sleep in the afternoon and play at night?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrely View Post
And is it normal for them to sleep in the afternoon and play at night?
Yep! Bunnies prefer to play in the twilight hours, so early morning and early evening.

R.I.P.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMouse View Post
Yep! Bunnies prefer to play in the twilight hours, so early morning and early evening.
They can get used to any schedule, though, if they're in a home with people who keep weird hours.

Flash has gotten used to my schedule, which is more like later in the morning and later in the evening, since I work from 11-8. But even on weekends or days off when I'm home, he pretty much just rests from noon until 6 PM, even if the cage door is open for him to come out and play. He's just used to having two active times per day, with longer sleep periods in between.

On a related note, how exactly do bunnies sleep? I've never seen Flash with his eyes closed. He knows how to lie down and relax, all stretched out on his side, but his eyes are always open. So I'm not sure if he sleep with his eyes open, or if he's really awake and just resting.

--Fromper
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

I've got two dutches of my own - Nino may seem calm now, but she'll probably start showing some ultimate personality. Good luck with them!!!

Okay, so I've got a mischevious husband and a few buns...

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yep you were right. Now it seems Jasper is the nice one. He licked my sister's arm for like an entire minute. He also goes back in the cage on his own without us having to find him. He also is very calm with being petted or held. He's really patient when we pet him or let our friends hold him.

Nino is becoming quite the rebel. She keeps jumping up onto my bed and going behind it which forces me to move the matress to get her out (My bed's two matresses piled up). She also bites seldomly (Jasper doesn't) and seems to dislike being petted or held. She's more adventurous than Jasper though.

They binky alot too haha.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Adolescent Pup

You might want to find some sort of treat that she likes enough to come out for, when she goes behind the bed. Before I blocked it off, Flash used to go under my couch, and I used to lure him out with yogurt drops and baby carrots. Just remember to give them both a treat at the same time, so the other one doesn't get jealous.

--Fromper