My bunny has become jealous and aggressive - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy My bunny has become jealous and aggressive

Hi all

Wonder if any of you have any experience of rabbits becoming jealous of other rabbits? Originally i had one house-rabbit who i had from 6 weeks old and he is very tame and just like a little dog. Recently i bought a 2nd house-rabbit (different cages) and my first bunny has become very aggressive and wound up and generally wants to kill the new one. He attacks the cage whenever he is let out so i started putting a blanket over the new bunny's cage to ease the situation but no, my bunny spends his time looking for ways to get round the blanket so he can attack/kill. I really wish i hadn't bought my second bunny now It has turned into World War 3 with these 2. What makes me sad is that the new bunny just wants to be friends and doesn't expect to be attacked through his cage If the situation doesn't improve, the second rabbit will have to be rehomed, but before it gets to that, does anyone have any advice? Do you think the situation could improve? The personality of my original bunny has really changed and its such a shame he feels so jealous.
Thanks

Sooz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

From what I hear rabbits are very territorial. I wonder if neutering would help? Bunny people??

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Lor
Playful Pup

Neuturing would probably help abit if they aren't fixed yet. Are they both male rabbits? And how old are they? They problem with buying two male rabbits, is they most likely will never get along with one another, especially if they aren't introduced at a young age.
I am guessing that you've had your first rabbit for awhile now and he is sexual mature, because of the way he is acting. He definately thinks the house is his, and the new rabbit is competition, so to speak.
It's nice to hear you have seperate cages for them, lots of people don't think that far ahead when they get a second rabbit.
I doubt the situation will improve much. How long have you had the new rabbit?
Personally I would fix them both first, (or atleast your older one if the other one is too young) give it a few weeks and see if there's been any change in your rabbits attitude. If he is still acting agressively, you might have to consider a new home for the little one. Or you could keep both and never let them out at the same time, maybe keep them in seperate rooms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

Yes rabbits really don't mind being alone and they are extremely territorial. Neutering him may help but probably not much.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

It would really help to know the ages of both the rabbits and their sexes. Your male rabbit is just protecting his territory that's all. It has his scent all over it and he is telling the other bunny to back off! The best thing to do her would be to block the new rabbit off from getting to the first rabbit's cage in the first place. Is there somewhere that your first rabbit doesn't go to? Even the bath if there isn't an actual room. Put your new bunny in the bath and let it gets it scent in the bath and then put it in it's cage and get the first bunny out and put it in the bath and let it smell it. If it is a neutral territory he shouldn't get mad cause he hasn't claimed it as his. After letting your new bunny out where it is allowed out now...let your first bunny out. Does he chin everything in sight and stomp his feet and grunt? If so he is pissed cause that's his and no-one elses!!! Neutering will definently help this!!! Get him neutered and if you can put them near each other in their seperate cages so that they get used to each other's scent safely. If they are two males then no they won't get along but they should get used to each other enough that they can live contently in their seperate cages. If it is a male and a female...well there are heaps of way to introduce them and male/female is a great combination! Despite the fact that as older rabbits they can be harder to introduce a rabbit love's another rabbit's company!! They are extremely social animals!!! There are exceptions to the rule of course....we don't like everyone we know and rabbits are the same. If you can let me know both ages and both sexes I could be a little more specific!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Hi all

Thanks for replies. My original bunny has already been neutered about 3-4 months ago so i expected him to have calmed down when we introduced a new bunny into the home. The new bun is 12 weeks old and my original is 10 months old. I had never planned on them to live together-i wondered if they could have played out together but i wasn't banking on it. But it has affected him loads just being in the same house.
Both are male rabbits and my older bunny gets so aggressive he growls like a dog and goes mental really and goes for me if i try and move him away from the cage or even if he is nowhere near the cage and i catch him in a bad mood. I really am considering rehoming my 12 wk old as i don't want either of them to be unhappy rabbits!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

It's strange that your male bunny gets soooo agressive considering he is neutered!! I'd try it for another week or two....your older bun should settle down once he is used to the others scent. If he doesn't then you could look at re-homing your young bun. It usually does take them a little bit to settle down. Keep me posted on your progress and things that you are doing please!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
seperate cages, social animals