My bunny has a sore eye! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy My bunny has a sore eye!

Hi guys, I am feeling a bit sad tonight, I was cleaning out my bunnies this afternoon, and noticed that Jasmine's right eye was leaking out a white puss and looked as though it was closed.. I phoned the vet and got an appointment.. I went there and he said that it needed to be cleaned up and her tear ducts flushed through, he would also check her teeth, as it could be a sign of a tooth problem.. I have left her there for the night, and need to phone the surgery tomorrow afternoon.. She had an eye problem a few months ago, and I had to put drops in 3 times a day, I don't mind doing anything for my pets, their health and wellbeing are very important to me..
I made a bit of a fuss over Amber later, I think she is missing her sister..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh no. I'm sorry! I hope that Jasmine gets better soon!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Re thanks

Thanks Steph, I will keep you informed..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

OMG how do you ftreat something like that? Please let me know just in case one of my friends gets this. Good luck!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wink Bunnies sore eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleety
OMG how do you ftreat something like that? Please let me know just in case one of my friends gets this. Good luck!
Thanks I will keep you informed, I am phoning the vets up at 2.30pm (UK time).. I will be on here later with the news...

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Adolescent Pup

If it is not tooth problems causing it, make sure they also check for pastuerella and bordatella infections as those are one of the most common causes of eye problems. Being put on an antibiotic like Baytril should clear it up if it is a normal infection, but if it is pastuerella or bordatella, you might be fighting it for a long time.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy Re bunnies sore eye..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabita
If it is not tooth problems causing it, make sure they also check for pastuerella and bordatella infections as those are one of the most common causes of eye problems. Being put on an antibiotic like Baytril should clear it up if it is a normal infection, but if it is pastuerella or bordatella, you might be fighting it for a long time.

I am back from the vets, Jasmine is a bit wobbly on her legs.. They think she may of got hit in the eye, which then caused it to ulcerate.. They washed her ducts out and cleaned it up and checked her teeth which were fine, but it is looking really nasty.. They also mentioned pastuerella, and said that she may get as her eye is quite damaged.. I have drops to give her twice a day, and she is staying in doors, next to the degus. I have to go back on Friday afternoon, so I will keep you informed..

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh, poor Jasmine. I hope she gets better soon!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Oh, poor Jasmine. I hope she gets better soon!
Thanks Steph..

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Re Jasmine..

I have just checked on Jasmine, she has been eating, so I feel a bit better.. I just hope the degus don't keep her awake all night!

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Jasmine seems ok today!

Jasmine seems ok today, she is still indoors, I dont know how much sleep she had with the degus being in the same room.. Amber has been with her most of the day.. This morning I bathed her eye with warm boiled water, and put the cream in her eye.. It still looks sore, but hopefully it will get better.. I still have the vet appointment tomorrow, so I will keep you informed..

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

Rabbits tend to be more awake at night, anyway. Well, technically, they usually sleep in the deepest part of night and the middle of the day, being most awake in the morning and evening.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

That sounds terrible, hope the bunny recovers! BTW how did she get hit in the eye??
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Jasmines sore eye..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleety
That sounds terrible, hope the bunny recovers! BTW how did she get hit in the eye??
Thanks for showing your concern.. The vet seems to think she may have hurt her eye with a twig, or something similar in the garden..

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Jasmines eye..

Jasmines eye is looking quite good, Amber is staying in with her tonight, so in one room there are 2 bunnies and 6 degus.. I have just bathed her eye again, and put in the cream.. I will check on her again in the morning..