Photos! My bunny room and new cage! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Smile My bunny room and new cage!

Whew what a day!!

Chris and I finally ordered the bunnies their new cage last week. So I spent like all weekend getting their room ready. The bunnies stayed in the bedroom for the weekend while I took all their old stuff out of the room, and washed and rearranged the rugs and rabbit proofed the room better.

The new cage got here at about 9am this morning (much earlier than I was expecting!) and I was working on building the cage and setting up their room for literally 8 hours straight!

Of course I took tons of pictures!! I'm not sure if I ever posted pictures of the rabbits room here before? Usually they have a litter box, water bowl, and a ton of toys and boxes all over the floor. It's clean today though since it took me so long to set up the cage that I didn't get to putting their stuff out again yet.

Here is the view looking into their room from the living room.

This is the rug they play on (Barnaby won't walk on uncovered floors). It's sessel so it's safe if they nibble on it, but luckily so far they leave it alone.

Here's my spot in the room, lol. I want to get something better sometime. The sessel is really rough and uncomfortable to sit on.

I used the bunnies old Xpen to block of access to the closet (because they tried to chew on the wood) and also to the baseboards. It pretty much goes around the whole outside of the room except for a spot in front of the heater and where the cage is. The cage is behind the door in a lot of the pictures so you can't see it.

Here is the cage!

I have more pictures but I'm going to break it up a little so that I don't have one huuge post...bear with me for a few mintues!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

You can't tell from the pictures how tall the cage is but it's about the same height as me, maybe a few inches taller, and I'm 5 feet 4 inches tall.

The green around the outside of the cage is fleece. After spending nearly $700 on the bunnies in the past week alone I opted not to buy the cage guards (to keep them from kicking poop all over the place and to keep their toys from falling outside the cage) that where sold with the cage and to make my own instead. I just cut ties out of the edges of the fleece and used those to tie them onto the bars.

On the first floor I put their litter box and hay rack, a cardboard box full of papers to rip up, their big water bottle, and some other random stuff for them to chew up.

On the second floor is where I'm planning to feed them. I put a hay matt and then their water bowl. There are also a bunch of random toys.

On the third floor I put a couple of their beds and stuff like that - their little sleeping/lounging area. There is another, smaller, water bottle on this level and also a cage fan on the side, for extra hot days or if the AC ever blows out again. There is a picture of Zeus hanging on the wall behind the third floor wire.

On the top I put their hay storage container so they can't get to it. I have 50lbs of hay sitting in the living room that I forgot to move back into the bunny room before I took pictures - but they are just gaint boxes that I use to keep just in the corner of the room. I think now I'll see if I can fit them in the closet. Annnyways, also on top of the cage I have a bunny xing sign on the wall, a cute statue of two bunnies snuggling, my memorial photo of Zeus that has the clipping of his fur in it, and a stuffed blue peep next to the picture. I use to call Zeus my blue bunny and I use to say that he looked like a peep when he sat a certain way, so the stuffed animal reminded me of him.

More coming again...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

After I was done with the cage and setting up the Xpen, I brought the bunnies in and put them on the floor.

Here's Barnaby looking at the new cage, and Ziggy hiding in the corner.

Ziggy and Berry...

Berry was the first to actually stick her head in the cage...

But Barnaby wasn't far behind her!

Here's their cute little butts sticking out the cage door and Ziggy starting to investigate.

More coming again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here's the last set of photos for today!!

After they all went into the cage on their own I closed the door. I don't usually close them in, ever. They have free range of their room. However, I wanted them to learn where the litter box is now and how to use the ramps. Plus I didn't set their stuff up outside the cage yet. I need to set their other litter box up again before I open the cage door, don't want them to pee on the rug that I spent all that time cleaning over the weekend!

Here are just a couple of them in the cage...

And that's pretty much all I have for now. Since I stopped taking picture, all three of them have already figured out how to use the ramps and are exploring the rest of the cage.

I have to go eat and stuff now since I've gone all day without any food Eventually sometime tonight I'll have to put the rest of their stuff back in the room so I can open the cage door for them. Talk about a day full of bunnies, all I did alll day was stuff for them! Poor Kit is jelous.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

wow, what lucky buns That cage is great. and i dont even get my own room I wish i could give Hoppity her own room, that would be so fun

Where did you find the sisal rug? I've been trying to find one for awhile, ive actually considered trying to weave my own

My Furry Family
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I don't have my own room either lol. Well I guess the bunny room is pretty much my room. Chris uses the walk in closet for his stuff and I got the extra room.

I got the rug here...
http://www.orientalfurniture.com/ori...arpet-Rug.html
I got the 5' X 8' natural colored one. It was a little expensive considering I wasn't sure if the bunnies would just try to eat it or not, but I've been really lucky that my bunnies arn't big chewers and have left the rugs alone.

The rugs do have latex backing, so probably wouldn't be as good if your bunny is a chewer and could possably eat through the top of the rug. Also there is cotton fabric linning the outside of the rug. My bunnies leave that alone too, but I think it might be a problem if you have a chewer.

I'm sure there are other places online that sell the sessel too? Chris and I found that site by chance one day when we were looking up stuff for our apartment, so I didn't look around much for a rug.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
is a little "special"

Wow! You have no idea how jealous I am Michelle! Your bunny room looks amazing! <3 Its definatly worth all that time and money :]
Just wondering, do your buns make a big mess of the room it isnt just cleaned? I want to give Smudge free range of my room after hes fixed so he can get more exercise, but Im a little worried after the last unsupervised-bedroom-floortime-episode when he peed all over my bed
Oh, and I have the same stuffed carrot that is on the 2nd level! Haha

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Part of the Pack

Lol Jess Henry used to pee all over my bed too, I'd go lay down and my face would hit a big wet spot! Michelle, the room looks soooo perfect, you have such lucky little bunnies! I can't believe all the levels on that cage, they must LOVE it! At first I thought the cage guards were supposed to be grass. Their little hay basket is so cute, and I love the bunny crossing sign! You did such a wonderful job, they must just love it!

give your love no matter what.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Everything looks great - lucky bunnies

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

How cute! The room is adorable and the bunnies look so happy!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 AM

I love your bunny room =D Where did you get the cage? + how much did it cost?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the comments

Quote:
Just wondering, do your buns make a big mess of the room it isnt just cleaned?
I've been really lucky again that they haven't ever peed on the floor or the rugs. Those rugs are such a pain to clean I think I would have to figure out something else to use if they peed on them. They always pee in one of their litter boxes. Um they do leave some poos on the floor usually but those are easy for me to just vaccuum up. And usually there's at least some hay on the floor around the litter box, but it's not that hard to pick up. If I give them messy toys like things they can destroy than I end up having to pick up those pieces, but other than those things they are pretty clean. I clean the litter boxes twice a week since that's when trash day is, sometimes more if needed. I vaccuum the floors and try to tidy things up once a day, sometimes every other day if they didn't make too much of a mess and I'm feeling lazy.

Quote:
Where did you get the cage? + how much did it cost?
I got it here...
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/

I got them the 48' 3 story 'condo', so it was pretty expensive! The cage was $398.71 and than I got chew guards for all the levels because I didn't want them chewing up and destroying a nearly $400 cage. Thheeen the cage had to be shipped from like Cali so it costed around another $100 just for shipping. But the good thing about those cages is that the 1 story version is $180, but in the future if you want to you can buy additional sections and add on to it.

So yeah it was expensive for us, but I have wanted to get this cage for them for moonths. We just have bad luck with NI cubes and I wanted them to have a big cage with diffrent levels.

They are still loving the cage They all run up and down the ramps and seem to be having fun. I think it's weird that their first night in the cage last night we had a thunder storm that lasted all night, and it's suppose to thunder again all day today. Makes me think of Zeus.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That is an amazing setup! They are very lucky buns!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thank you

Bleh my arms and back are killllling me today from carrying the cage up the stairs and building it all day yesterday.

Ah well, it was worth it!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 PM
is a little "special"

Haha Marmalade you have it worse than I do! Ive gotten the face hump, but not the face pee yet!
Ok, thanks Michelle. And I think Zues was sending you some approval from up above!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."