My new bun may have wry neck... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

My new bun may have wry neck...

Well, as most of you know, we got two bunnies a few weeks ago. My sister's, Basil, and mine who is still unnamed (but I have narrowed it down to two choices. It takes me forever to name the furbabies. xDD)

My bun has been great, cute as always, friendly, calm, relaxed, etc. But about two days ago, I noticed something odd. He was tilting his head to the left (his left), very noticeably. I started to worry, but decided to wait another day or two to see if he was just doing that for fun or whatever, or if a trip to the vet would ensue.

He has his right ear sticking up (he's a dwarf lop), and his left ear is still all loppy. Then I remembered, when we went to go pick out which of the bunnies we were going to adopt, he'd have the same ear (right) sticking up every once in a while, and tilting his head just the very slightest once in a while. (I believe I even said that it my thread about finding out I was getting one.) So now I'm thinking he may have gotten an infection or something in his ear before we got him.
(which calms me a bit, because he wasn't under my care when this happened , but for his brothers and sisters and mom who were in the same hutch, I wonder if some of them might have it too. Basil doesn't [assuming, since she hasn't been tilting her head or anything] but I don't know about the others.)

Now, for years I've done research about rabbits, but I don't remember reading anything about wry neck, unfortunately. So I went to Blackle and typed in "my bunny has a crooked head" (xD), and clicked on This link. I started to read it, got even more worried, and then went here.

I read it all, and I'm pretty sure he has otitis interna. Of course I can't be positive until we go to a vet, but from what I read on that it seems very likely. I had looked at the vet list on rabbit.org, and there is one in the next town over we can go to. We have gone there a few times many years ago, too.

So yeah.
He's only around 10 weeks old, now. Still a baby. ): We seem to have periods of bad luck, sometimes. It's no fun.

He is still doing great, eating and drinking fine, munching down on tasty hay and snuggling with Basil. His legs are fine, he doesn't seem to lose balance, just his little head is tilted.

And, coincidentally, (I visit a site called http://cutewithchris.com , and it has a weekly video show where you can vote on the cutest pets and other fun stuff. It's hosted by a Canadian comedian, Chris Leavins, who lives in L.A. now, and it's absolutely hysterical sometimes. xDD) there was a rabbit on one episode named El Vez. This is a picture of him:

He had a parasite which made his head grow crooked.
And when he gets excited, he runs in circles.

A few days ago, I was holding my bun and was looking at CWC and showed everyone that picture of El Vez, and the next day, my bun started to really have his head looking crooked. Odd, no? xD

We will be bringing him to the vet on Thursday, since we can't bring him tomorrow. I'll keep you updated on him. =^_^=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awwwwwww...keep us updated.Good luck!
I have no advice,since I am not a bun owner...but "wry neck" is similar to "head tilt" in rats,which is in most cases caused by an inner ear infection (it's not contagious).

I only ever had 2 rats with it and sadly even on antibiotics from the vet,they were off balance with the tilted head for the rest of their lives.They managed to get on fine and still ate or drink,but it was heartbreaking to see and looked pretty uncomfortable and they didn't live as long as healthier rats...they ran in circles,fell off things and were so twitchy.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Aww I'm sorry your new baby isn't feeling well. There are a number of diffrent things that can cause head tilt in rabbits, so make sure you get him into the vet for the proper treatment.

Keep us updated!

Last edited by Dragonrain; 09-17-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Playful Pup

sending healing )))))))))))) to your bun. keep us updated..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks you guys. (:

Here are some pictures I took. They aren't that great, and in two of them you can see my stalker cat behind my bun. xDD

It's hard to really tell his head is tilted in the pictures, as opposed to seeing him in person, but you can still vaguely tell.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Aww yeah I can see what you mean - but at least you caught it before it got really bad.

He's really cute. Looks like he's grown a lot.

I love the face the cat is making in the last pic, lol.

Are you still taking the rabbit (still unnamed?) to the vets tomorrow? Good luck if you are, and let us know how it goes.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hehe, yeah. xD Once he saw I was paying attention to my bun and not him (who was sleeping in the corner when I took my bun out!), he jumped up and kept trying to get me to pick him up. xD

Yeah, we are still going to bring him in. And I'll be sure to keep you all updated. ^-^

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

So glad to hear you are taking him to the vet tomorrow. He reminds me a little bit of my Tabby. She had a head tilt when I found her. Hers was pretty bad and we have no idea how long she had it or what caused it. It's much better to get him on the meds he needs asap. Tabby's head tilt improved but never went away and I am sure it's because it was not treated from the beginning. But the good news is she was a very happy little girl regardless. She didn't seem to mind it much. She happily ate her salads and food and always loved attention.
Keep us posted. As Dragonrain said there are many things that could cause a head tilt. And give him loads of kisses for me - he is such an adorable fluff ball!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck tommorrow!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Alrighty. I just got back from the vet, and he believes it's middle or inner ear infection, just as I thought.

I was impressed with how knowledgeable the vet was with rabbits. That instantly rid my fears of him not knowing what to do and giving the wrong medicine, etc... Even though I found the clinic on rabbit.org, I was still fearful. x3

He prescribed Bactrim, .4ml twice a day for two weeks. Then we'll go back and he'll check up on my bunny.

I gave him his first dose, and he didn't want anything to do with it. xD So I put him in a 'bunny trance' and put the syringe behind his teeth so it'll get in his mouth. After that, he didn't seem to mind it much. Ran up to me as if looking for more. xD Such a goofball.

I hope he gets better. I hate to see him like this. He's just such a sweetie. *snuggles*

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I hope he is feeling better soon.
Tabby loved her meds. She would get excited when she saw the syringe. More than once she pulled it right out of my hand!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Playful Pup

that is good news....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Will It Ever Change?

best wishes for your bun. i'm glad you have secured a good vet that you can trust

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Newborn Pup

I'm sending healing thoughts...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, Bactrim seemed to be working on him, his head didn't get any 'tilteder' (xD), but just yesterday his head was tilted more, and his balance is starting to go. I picked him up, and he kept twirling in my arms to get his head 'straight'. And when I went to put him down, he just fell over on his side and jumped back up and started hopping away.

So we are brining him to the vet again today and most likely going to switch his medicine. (Which will hopefully work.)

Tags
wry neck rabbit crooked