My poor baby :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Unhappy My poor baby :(

I went outside to the garage this morning to check on the buns and feed and water etc and put them out to play........well as i was doing my usual morning check,teeth,nails,ears,bums etc i found that Bbop had ripped off one of his nails and it was bleeding He had snapped it at the start of the nerve and it was hanging off so i clipped it back and bathed it in salt water and applied pressure until it stopped bleeding.....my poor bun bun he was such a good boy throughout me fiddling with it i gave him an extra piece of apple for being a good boy! xxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Aww poor baby. I think it's pretty common for them to break their nails but it looks like it must be so painful for them. Give Bbop lots of extra love and his nail should start growing back soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Yeah poor lil man i had to cut it back so that he didnt rip it anymore and unfortunately he tore it right by the start of the nerve as his nails are short anyway i hope it grows back soon coz it must be painful for him bless him he sat so still and let me fix him up though i was so proud xxx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

aw, poor lil guy. do they really break their nails easily? i didn't know it was common, i'll have to watch for that. lots of snuggles to bbop :-)

George orwell
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I didn't know it was common either untill it happened to my Zeus. I was going crazy looking stuff up about it and even called the vet. But from what I heard it is pretty common and usually isn't really anything to worry about.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I didn't know it was common either. Out of the 4 buns i've got he is the first to do it poor boy he is recovering well anyway so thats all that matters!!! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Part of the Pack

awe. It must have been tough having to cut the rest of the nail and stuff, I dont even like cutting Henry's nails--it makes me cringe and I'm always afraid I'll somehow hit the quick even when I'm super careful.

give your love no matter what.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Will It Ever Change?

owies! *hugs* fur bun

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Poor Bbop! Teddy recently just did the same thing. I didn't even realize until the next day. There was no blood - only on the nail he lost. After he knocked it off he was shaking his little paw. I thought he just hit his paw on the table leg until I found the nail. The last time I checked it still was not back in. I should check again.
It does not seem to bother him at all any more. I hope Bbop is the same.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Playful Pup

You can use steptic powder to help stop the bleeding - you can get it at your vets office. A simpler solution is corn startch - it too will stop the bleeding almost immediately and it is safe just in case bunns ingest it. Just dump it a bit on some paper towel and apply it with a bit of pressure to the nail. Kisses to bBop!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I didn't know you could use cornstarch. Thanks for the tip.
I have also read that flour can be used if you quick them. I am sure that Bbop is not bleeding now - but just in case in the future is happens again.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Playful Pup

Poor little fella! I wonder how animals feel pain, seems their pain threshold is much different than ours. I need to look that up as well. Were you able to locate any good information about it? Any good websites? I have a website on Buns and I would like to inlcude that in there....

Seems that it is always harder on us than them....I hope so anyway.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Betta Bomb

awww, poor lil guy!! he seems tough he was totally in his head crying like a wimp like human boys!!! make the outside look tough but really is worse than a girl inside!! nevermind me,im glad he's ok!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

LOL yeah he is doing fine now bless him the bleeding stopped after i bathed it and applied pressure and its healing well so i am sure he will recover with no problems!!! Thankyou all xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!