My poor bunny has a prolapsed rectum! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

My poor bunny has a prolapsed rectum!

Hi all

I'm new here, posted my first message on the intro thread last night. I mentioned that my 9 week old lop had a problem and that's how I found the forum..........well, I just took her to the vet this morning and she has a prolapsed rectum, poor little thing.

We noticed a very red bump hanging out of her yesterday but I wasn't sure of her sex and thought it could just be that the bun was male and it was his 'bits' that we could see. I spent hours scouring the internet last night (that's I found this place) as I couldn't get her to the vet until this morning and realised that what she had wasn't normal. I suspected that she had a prolapse and the vet confirmed it saying that if we didn't treat it immediately then I could end up having to put her to sleep (he also confirmed that she is in fact female).
Now poor Oreo has been admitted to have a suture put into her bottom under general anesthetic and I still have an hour or so to wait before I can call to see how she is. I'm so worried about her, we've only had her for 2 weeks but I'm already smitten with her and so are my kids. Her sister Fudge is missing her already too.
Please keep your fingers crossed for her

Jo x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Betta Bomb

I hope all is ok with her!! Poor thing! My wishes and thoughts are with you
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor baby! Keep us updated on her progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I am allergic to maths

Get well soon!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww poor wittle thing. Keep us updated on how she does.

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi again and thanks for your good wishes. Oreo is doing great and was ready to be collected much sooner than they expected. She's back home with her sister and acting like nothings even happened to her lol. They told me to keep an eye on her to make sure she was eating and drinking as sometimes they lose their appetite after an anesthetic but as soon as I put her back in her house, she went right for her food and had a good munch.
She has to see the vet again on Sunday morning so he can check her over but otherwise she's back to being her cute little self again )

Jo x
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Betta Bomb

Thats good to hear, Me happy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Purple Hops , I'm happy too. She's doing great now, just had her stitches taken out this morning and she seems no worse off for her ordeal. The vet has warned me tho, that it could happen again so gonna have to keep a close eye on her now x

Tags
prolapse, rectum