My poorly rabbits, advice please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My poorly rabbits, advice please

Hello all. A little advice would be much appreciated. Both of our rabbits have been separated due to being diagnosed with mixomtosys. Blue has the more severe case and his eyes are very sore and red. It doesnt look promising.

We have been giving them both antibiotics that were given to us by the vets but i'm wondering if there is anything we can give additionally to provide extra vitamins etc. I'd like to give some fruit juice of some kind but i've read different things from different sites so not sure wether this is safe or not. Does anyone know? Also does anyone have rabbits that have recovered from this illness?

Thank you!
Kate
Kent, U.K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Betta Bomb

If both of them have the same disease and are both on antibiotics.. Shouldnt you keep them together? Especially if their a bonded pair, I think their health would get worse if depression due to seperation is added to the misery. Im not sure of the disease, but I really do hope they can recover, dear. If its a terminal disease, I'd put them back together so they'd at least be together. All the best, keep us posted.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The reason we've been advised to seperate them is because one has a more sever case and looks as if he may not survive, well the other one is looking healthier and likely to recover so to keep him that way weve moved him away from his other infected brother. I would love to keep them together but thats the advice we were given.

We have 2 days before we have to take him back to the vets to make the decision wether to put him to sleep because he may get worse and possibly go blind through this. WIll keep you posted and try and get a picture of the pair on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

pictures been added to my profile. Still need advice from anyone regarding giving rabits fruit juice..?? Many Thanks

Kate
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have no idea of which fruit juice you mean. I know cranberry juice successfully clears out a guinea pig's UTI, but I'm unsure beyond that. If you were to give them any juice, I'd undoubtedly recommended actual extract, instead of juice. Juice itself usually contains too much added sugar, I would think, while extract is just pure extract from the fruit(or fruits), itself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry about your rabbits. For any future rabbits you may get, there is a vaccine for Myxomatosis available in the UK.

I made my rabbits 'juice' before with fresh fruit in a juicer, and gave it to them watered down as a treat. I think if you gave them extract from rabbit safe fruits it would probably be okay, but keep in mind that fruit is really more of a treat for rabbits. A lot of them are high in sugar and should be fed sparingly.

Why not just give them small pieces of fresh fruit, fresh greens, stuff like that? I'm not even sure the extra vitamins would make any difference, and fruit juice has added sugar and such that could possibly mess with their GI tracts. You could always call your vet and ask them their opinions. If they are already treating your rabbits I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering your questions.

So sorry again that your rabbits are sick! I hope they can pull through and keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so sorry, I don't have any advise - Just sending bunny prayers your way.

Tags
rabbits