my Rabby killed my other rabby :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

my Rabby killed my other rabby :(

What in the world would cause one of my buns to kill my other bun?

Stewie and Dumplin' pretty much grew up together, then one day they were in their outdoor hutch, I went to feed them and Stewie came out into the wire part of the cage and there was no sign of Dumplin'. I lifted the roof on the house of the hutch and Dumplin' was dead and all her fur had been picked off, she kind of looked like a plucked chicken. I cried my eyes out, hated Stewie for a few hours, then forgave her. To this day I still wonder what the heck happened, two buddies who'd been living together for years and then this..Does anyone know why a bunny would do this to another?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM

Unhappy Were they both the same sex?

Not because I have an answer to your question but because I have a female bunny, Reggie...that is about 8 years old. She had a male companion...D2...almost from birth. It was the strangest thing because they only had about 3 "individual" babies in their 4 years together...not litters...just one at a time and she didn't kill the babies but the 1st one, she just let it die and the other two, when we saw that she was ignoring them too, we tried to hand raise them but they both were way to weak and died anyway. She was only pregnant three times and then in the last year of the 4 they were together, she didn't get pregnant at all.

There were both very healthy...like I said, she's almost 8yrs old now but one day, out of the blue...my husband went to give them food and D2 was just dead and it didn't seem weird at the time because it was something she ALWAYS did almost from day one but he was ALWAYS missing patches of hair that she pulled out.

I never saw them fighting...or biting and barely "humping" for that matter. They were always cuddly and huddled together but he was just dead one day and now that you mention this, I'm wondering if she had anything to do with it?

If anybody has any heads up...please fill me and Foxyshedevil in...

Thanks....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Rodentologist

It's unlikely that your rabbit killed your other rabbit. More than likely, Dumplin' died of a natural cause, and a frantic Stewie groomed him to baldness. Even if he had ripped off all his fur while they were fighting, that wouldn't cause him to die.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh how sad
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Was there any blood? Was Dumplin all cut up? I would say its very unlikely for one bun to kill the other and if there was no blood on dumplin and he wasnt all cut up i would guess that he just died and Stewie tried to wake him up and went overboard with the grooming

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

Poor bun.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

There were little bits of skin nibbled off and around her legs some flesh was gone. :S It was traumatic to say the least, but I can't stay mad at Stewie I guess it could be bunny nature. I like to think maybe Stewie tried to wake her up, I miss her, you couldn't ask for a better bun

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 PM

Oh hun, no matter how it happened, I am truely sorry for your loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyshedevil View Post
There were little bits of skin nibbled off and around her legs some flesh was gone. :S It was traumatic to say the least, but I can't stay mad at Stewie I guess it could be bunny nature. I like to think maybe Stewie tried to wake her up, I miss her, you couldn't ask for a better bun
They can sometimes be quite rough with each other trying to wake up a deceased friend, unfortunately. They can become pretty freaked out by the corpses of other rabbits.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Yeah i think it prob was a case of him trying to wake her up like with Lisa's rat Sugar Bear (RIP) Kahlua must have got freaked and ate his face poor thing its just an animal thing and grief does funny things to humans so its prob more intense for animals when they are with their friend 24 hours a day 7 days a week

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Awww. Poor bunny. Sorry for your loss.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I think I am going to make a little "Memorial" album for my deceased animals, well the ones I have pictures of anyhow. Luckily I have a few pictures of my bunny. I'm thinking about adopting another Dwarf Bunny from the small animal rescue. The house feels so empty without her little paws bopping around the kitchen

Tags
rabbits