My Rescue Bunnies Story - Aniseed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My Rescue Bunnies Story - Aniseed

Aniseeds Story.

As it seems with most rabbits, Ani and her brothers and sisters were born in a home that ended up with “to many Rabbits”. Ani was then given away to a friend who had kids.
The kids loved Ani, and played with her, but as a few months went by their interest was lost, and she sat outside alone. The kids Mom though since they didn’t do anything with the rabbit, why not cut the food bill and let her “be free”.
And so Ani was let go in a country neighborhood, yes there was lots to eat for her, but it was cold, she had no friends and hid under vehicles for safety. There were many dogs, cats, coyotes and birds of prey like eagles and hawks here. Never mind a busy road way not a great place for a little bunny like Ani.
Ani was one day spotted by a lady who told her neighbor remembering that the neighbor had bunnies of her own, plus many other pets.
Me being that neighbor went and caught Ani, her back was covered in motor oil and ATF from hiding under an old car.
I took Ani in, gave her fresh veggies and water. After she was settled in she was given a Bath and blow dry.
Ani has since got a name, a new friend who happens to be a dog, a family that loves her, and one heck of a good diet! Ani goes for walks on the leash and has a whole room all for herself. She also has a boyfriend named Jackpot who she gives kisses to every time she escapes her room. Jackpots roommate is a bit jealous of Ani taking his buddies attention, so he’s bitter about the whole thing.

Today Ani is officially part of our family, as they old family that abandoned her did not want her back.

Unfortunetly this is a story happening to often, except for most bunnies there is no happy ending.
So spread the word, Spay and Neuter your Pets, yes even Rabbits! And always make sure you research a pet before deciding to bring one home, pets should be a one way ticket, there's no going back once they are there.

Here are some pictures of Aniseed,

Napping on 'her' bed.

Relaxing in the livingroom with her new friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Newborn Pup

Smile

Okay, that seriously brought tears to my eyes...happy tears. You are such a good person! I love the pics, cute as ever. I will get mine up soon. There is a baby bunny outside my work that is old enough to search for food...I just saw the mommy (it has to be) run over in the road. I really want the baby bunny but I know it would be wrong. Don't worry, I will just continue to give it fruit for breakfast and I will leave him/her alone.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

i was half way through the story and said to myself "if she gave them that rabbit back then I'm going to..." - luckily i didn't finish that thought because i got to the end of the story

i am so relieved that you are keeping her - and i'm glad the little girl's mother was honest with you... i hate that the little girl wanted her back just because she was hers... she obviously didn't want her if her parents would resort to setting the poor thing "free"...

this story hits home because my Charlie's story is similar, he came from a home where he was the kid's pet and they also got bored with him... you shouldn't get your child a pet unless you yourself are willing to take care of it, most kids just aren't responsible enough - even kids that do the majority of care for their pets still need a little help

i really am happy to hear a happy ending (and beginning!) for this cute bunny - God bless you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so happy for Ani and for you! She is beautiful! I really wish people would realize that when they set a domestic rabbit "free" they are really condemning him or her to death! My little Tabby was so ill when I found her that I truly believe she wouldn't have lasted one more day on her own. I still cannot believe that something didn't eat her or she didn't get hit by a car. It would have been kinder to have brought her to the local animal shelter than leave her go!
Sorry it just makes me so angry to think someone would do something so terrible on purpose.
Give Ani a kiss for me!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you everyone.
It is so depressing knowing this is happening to so many animals so often. I don't blame the child who had the bunny, i blame the Mother. She has now just taught her children animals are toys, and when you don't want them anymore they are disposable.

My lop Bunny Jackpot was rescued from a drug house where him and his brother and sisters were being kept in an aquarium, with no bedding. They didn't know how to hop, they just shuffled themselfes around on the glass bottom

It's like all the wonderful animals live/ed with people who didn't appreciate how lucky they are having such a wonderful loving pet. A Pet who loved them no matter the mistreatment they recieved.

Ani is the only one of my bunnies who will tolerate a harness & leash, she also likes to be cuddled, has been litter trained in a week! I mean she amazes me everyday, how anyone wouldn't want such an amazing little bunny it's totally unconceivavble to me.

beckycor is the bunny domestic or wild?
If it's wild, definetly leave it there, but if it is a domestic bunny get in touch with your local SPAC or other animal rescue, otherwise that young one may end up the same fate as her mother

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Great job on saving her! That's so sad .

My bunny, Sakura, had a similar story only luckily that hadn't set her free yet and gave her to me.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Part of the Pack

oh my goodness! Ani looks so happy! it's always so amazingy how animals show it in their expression when they feel truly happy and loved. and she just looks like she's the queen of the world up there all snuggled in on the bed!!! and i love how she's just 'chillin' with your dog in the 2nd pic! hehe! well done and congrats to you and Ani!!!

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

i couldnt agree more....

education against ignorance in pet keeping would go a long way...
idiots educate idiots in how to have pets and not look after them especially when novelty wears off...

animal lovers teach to be respectful and loving of animals..

maybe at school it wouldnt hurt to do a bit of teaching..after all animals are a huge responsiblity much like having children..

I am sooo glad Ani has such a loving home and she certainly loves you!
i am very happy for you all.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

I am so glad you managed to save her and that she now has such a wonderful loving home. She is a very pretty girl!

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I Stash Little Debbies

as far as i'm concerned my bunnies are my children - my parents even treat them as though they're grandkids... i'm thankful for the way i was raised, i've never had a pet that i just lost interest in

some teachers around here still have "class pets", usually a hamster or guinea pig, that the class takes care of and the good kids get to pet and hold it as a behavioral incentive

my 2nd grade teacher had a snake and a tarantula.... didn't learn much from that... i didn't mind holding the snake, but spiders (especially big ones) just aren't my thing...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I remember learing in grade one how baby chicks where born. We had a little incubatore in the class room, and once a week or so she would hold the egg up to a light so we could see the change inside. When they were born we all got to have a picture taken holding a little yellow chick
I must say almost everything I know about chickens i learned in that class, and i was only 6 or7!

My pets are my children, I respect and love them. And i do research before deciding to get a new pet, i meet other peoples pets to get to know the breed, and i ask way to many questions LOL
I wish sometimes there was licensing to own Animals (definetly breed them) or have children, that was everyone had to study and do a test just like school. And if u pass you can have one, if you fail you can't.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

slowly but surely they're starting to do that with marriage licenses where you have to go through counsilling first before they'll issue one (most places it's still optional but you'll get a discount on the license if you take the class). and one of my sister's insurance companies had a policy that if she and her husband took prenatal classes that they would get a break on their insurance rates for the baby - she took them up on it and it saved them a couple of thousands since she didn't have a maternity rider when she got pregnant

animals could be next - i definitely agree with you on licensing breeders. no one should have that many animals if they don't know what they're doing and they're not going to properly care for them

and p.s. - when it comes to caring about a bunny, or any pet for that matter, you can never ask too many questions! keep the questions coming andrea!!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM

I have to admit that I don't always so all the research I should before getting a pet. However, I know pets are for life and I do whatever I have to once they are in my care.

Here's my story:
I was brought up a cat person. Then my parents bought me a dog when I graduated high school. I bought a water turtle after killing one of my many batches of gold fish. I really tried with the fish but I always seemed to loose them. Once my husband (then fiancee) and I bought our own house (I came as a package deal with 2 kitties and the turtle- the kitties my husband detested at the time) we got our first "baby" together - Frankie our oldest dachshund. Then Belle followed - my first girl dog! She is also a dachshund. Then I found Tabatha.
The fish were bought for our pond outside. I gave most of our pond fish to my brother in law for keeping over the winter a couple years ago but was unable to catch 2 until I drained the pond so I kept those 2 over the winter and last summer they had 3 babies!
Unforutnately my brother in laws class at school (he is a horticulture teacher and had an inside pond) used something too strong when cleaning the pond the fish were in and only one survived. I didn't ask for him back.
My husband was extremely upset about the loss of the fish so my mother purchased him a fancy tail gold fish.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 02:17 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

for all the animals you have, i think that it's sweet that your husband got upset over fish

my mother always told me, for as long as i can remember, to make sure i married a man who loved animals. she always said that would be the best way to test his character... even though my husband always says to me "Stop babying him!" when i'm loving and kissing on his "son" Charlie, numerous times i have come home to him sitting on the couch with Charlie in his lap and he's rubbing his ears and baby talking him... who's the one babying him?

according to my mom's theory, you've got a good man!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 02:34 PM

He really as come a long way! He even likes the cats now. Sunday morning, I was out already,he got out of bed to stop Tyler from beating up on Bean. The cats usually get along very well but every once in a while Tyler is mean to his sister! He called me very upset about this. He just didn't understand why they would be fighting. It was sweet. Although he did tell Tyler if he was mean to his sister again he would put him on the roof and not let him in if it rained!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, animal rescue, animal shelter, baby bunny, fancy tail gold fish, gold fish, guinea pig, litter train, litter trained, local animal shelter