Yes 2 33.33%
No 0 0%
No way to tell 2 33.33%
I don't want to say 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Question My small survivor....

Okay so I'll try getting this tale to not bore you. On Valentines day my mother bunny, Bella, had five babies. I placed a cloth over her cage and remained quiet when I was in the room with her. She is a domestic rabbit and I bought her from a pet store awhile back. I've had her since she was about six weeks. Anyhow, she had her babies Valentines day. The next day I took a peek in the cage to discover a baby bunny outside the nest. I called around and in the end decided to leave it be because I didn't want her eating it due to my scent. (None of the pet stores or anything could give me any advice what to do so I figured if I left it alone for a day the mother would take care of it). I ended up spending the night at a friends and had my brother check on the bunnies. He did so quietly, he said the baby bunny wasn't there so I slept peacefully that night...thinking all was well. The next day I came home and opened my cage to find the baby bunny eaten in half. I was upset so I dared not look for a bit. After looking at my bearded dragon for a bit I moved my attention back to the cage to discover three bunnies dead in total. So after talking to my boyfriend who called the emergency vet place I had my friend dig through the cage, remove the dead babies (four in all) and find one still alive. I was told I would have to bottle feed it. now things aren't going too well, could be better, could be worse but my baby bunny isn't peeing. I am using the warm water but it hasn't urinated in about 24 hours, maybe less but it had been doing after every feeding. Does this mean my little one isn't getting enough milk? I'm trying everything to keep him alive. I'm feeding him the kitten replacement milk, it won't take it from the bottle so I use a Q-tip to get it into it's small mouth. He is about a handful in size and his stomach is round which I think is good. I just don't know what to do. I'm trying so hard to get it to survive and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed. So my point is...can people tell me everything I'm supposed to do for my little Valentines survivor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 AM

we've rescued many baby bunnies. and most do not survive. we have learned allot about it though.
-we first heard that they need to be fed every 4 hours... and in doing so we overfed them and they died. in reality, baby bunnies only feed about twice a day. try letting 12 hours go by before feeding again.
-do you know how to lightly pinch the skin to see if it's dehydrated? if the skin stays pinched for longer than a second it needs more fluids.
-the mother turning the baby's away due to human cent is an old wives tale to keep children from disturbing nests. rabbits, deer, birds, squirrels, cats, and everything else won't turn their babies away from human sent.
-mothers eating their dead young is natural, it gets the body away from the nest and predator smell, and provides the mother with much needed proteins. it is sad when a rabbit looses a whole litter but it is common.
-My wife raised rabbits when she was a child and most rabbits don't care for their first litter.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SothPaw View Post
we've rescued many baby bunnies. and most do not survive. we have learned allot about it though.
-we first heard that they need to be fed every 4 hours... and in doing so we overfed them and they died. in reality, baby bunnies only feed about twice a day. try letting 12 hours go by before feeding again.
-do you know how to lightly pinch the skin to see if it's dehydrated? if the skin stays pinched for longer than a second it needs more fluids.
-the mother turning the baby's away due to human cent is an old wives tale to keep children from disturbing nests. rabbits, deer, birds, squirrels, cats, and everything else won't turn their babies away from human sent.
-mothers eating their dead young is natural, it gets the body away from the nest and predator smell, and provides the mother with much needed proteins. it is sad when a rabbit looses a whole litter but it is common.
-My wife raised rabbits when she was a child and most rabbits don't care for their first litter.
Thank you, I have been feeding it twice a day and waiting about 12 hours in between. She only ate one of her babies and let the rest just die and I have a feeling it is just because it was her first litter. As for the dehydration thing, no I don't know how to lightly pinch the skin to see if its dehydrated....where do I do that? and thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 PM

Dehydration testing.
lightly squeeze the skin on the back... it's barely a lift and not really a pinch.
if the skin stays up for a little while like it's all dried out then it is in need of more fluid. but you can't really force the milk into it or it will get bloated. a newborn hardly needs any milk... about a single ML i think... there are charts online you can look up unless you already have it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I tested it and the skin went down rather fast. It didn't stay up for a little bit at all so my baby is getting enough fluid....but why isn't it urinating?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:24 PM
is a little "special"

Im not sure about bunnies, but I know that puppys need theyre mom to lick them to go to the bathroom... If thats they way bunnies do it too, then you could try gently massaging his lil butt. It couldnt hurt to try! C:
I hope he makes it! <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:37 PM

massaging them sounds like a good idea too Jes... will the mom snuggle with them?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

The mother will not take care of the baby at all. She abandoned it so I've been having to completely take care of it. I'll try the massaging thank you.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The momma bunny probably didn't kill the one half eaten, but rather tried to rid the body when it died and hadn't gotten to the others when you found them.

Wet a cotton ball to the butt to get it to pee and poo and what ever you do only feed it in the morning and in the evening, over feeding baby buns is the number one reason they die

Moma bunnies only feed twice a day for a bout 5 mins each time.

and don't scruff it, bunnies aren't like cats it can hurt them to do so.

try a serrenge (Sp) you can get from the vet, the ones with out the needles to feed look up how many ccs it needs it works better than a bottle

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
The momma bunny probably didn't kill the one half eaten, but rather tried to rid the body when it died and hadn't gotten to the others when you found them.

Wet a cotton ball to the butt to get it to pee and poo and what ever you do only feed it in the morning and in the evening, over feeding baby buns is the number one reason they die

Moma bunnies only feed twice a day for a bout 5 mins each time.

and don't scruff it, bunnies aren't like cats it can hurt them to do so.

try a serrenge (Sp) you can get from the vet, the ones with out the needles to feed look up how many ccs it needs it works better than a bottle
thank you, I've been trying a Q-tip or a soft piece of TP because I can't get a regular cotton ball but the warm water and that still hasn't been working. When do they start going to the bathroom by themselves? Also......ahhh....when should I stop feeding it milk? I've heard varies things when to start weening it but I have no idea when to and when to ween it onto the solid foods.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Check out this link, it might be helpful?

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

This is what the above site says about getting them to go to the bathroom:

Quote:
NOTE: Many newborn mammals cannot urinate/defecate on their own. The baby bunnies will require the stimulation of the mother's grooming tongue on their bellies and ano-genital region in order to release a stream of urine and those pinhead-sized poops. Fortunately, you do not have to use your tongue.

Use a cottonball (or even a very clean and disinfected fingertip) moistened with warm water, and gently tap/rub the urogenital area until you feel the baby's abdominal muscles tense and get that rewarding stream of warm pee! (Now you see why we suggest you use a towel on your lap.) Getting a urination response may take 15-20 seconds of stimulation, or even more. Many sources recommend doing this before feeding, and if it works--fine. However, sometimes the stimulus of a full stomach makes this easier. If the baby will not urinate before feeding, try again after feeding, and you will likely get a good response.

Failure to stimulate the babies to urinate/defecate can in the death of the baby (the bladder can actually rupture if it is not stimulated to empty!), so be sure you do this procedure diligently, gently, and patiently! It may take a couple of weeks before the babies are able to urinate and defecate on their own. Watch for signs of redness/irritation around the anus and uretrhal opening, which indicate you are stimulating too vigorously. Back off on the pressure, and apply a bit of soothing calendula ointment (available at health food stores) to heal the irritation.

If the feces come out liquid or "smeary", it's a sign of potentially serious trouble. Consult your rabbit-experienced veterinarian at the first sign of diarrhea, as this can be fatal in only a few hours in a baby rabbit.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 02-22-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Typo- oops!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

~Thank you all for trying to help...my baby bunny didn't make it though...~
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

~But...it was urinating...~
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 AM
I am allergic to maths

Im so sorry for your loss
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww i'm sorry xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!

Tags
baby bunnies, growth of baby bunny, milk replacement, questions, size of baby bunny