nail clipping - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

nail clipping

There is pretty much nothing I hate more than clipping animals nails. I've never hit the quick of the nail, but it makes me SOOO anxious just thinking I will! When I know Henry needs a nail clipping, it makes me sweat with FEAR!!! My mom holds him for me and i snip his nails. Every clip is excruciating, and its even worse when he jumps! He'll jump out of nowhere and it makes me think I made him bleed, but he's just messing with me! Ahhhhhhhh I hate clipping bunny nails. Thank jeebus his nails are all white, but still. Anyone on here got any nail clipping tips?

Or.. Anyone on here wanna do it for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I don't mind clipping the buns or cats nails. They are all pretty much clear so I can see what I am doing. I refuse to cut the dogs nails. I have made them bleed more than one - but the dogs have dark nails so I cannot see what I am doing.
For a tip - just take a little off at a time. Maybe you can trance him? Teddy is the only bun I can trance and he still can "break out" of the trance and jump.
If you do quick him use flour to stop the bleeding. I have the the special powder they sell but I never can remember where it is when I need it. It is just easier to grab the flour - although I have had to throw away a lot of flour because I am in such a rush I just stick my dirty hand in the container.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:34 AM

I haven't done it yet on my wabbit but I have on dogs. I've read that singing to your bunnie can help calm them. They suggested singing something like twinkle, twinkle or the abc's. Trying feeding them a treat to distract them while clipping their nails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 AM

Singing isn't specifically necessary, it's the calming tone of your voice.
i clip my cats all the time and the more often i do it the easier it gets, plus, the quick starts to recede the more often you clip.
My wife raised rabbits as a child and she checked the nails every week and made it a pleasant experience for them, in time the rabbits would get used to the routine and no longer struggle, in fact many would offer up their paws without a struggle and would sit patiently for the clipping. and you don't need to clip all the way down close to the quick, just a little trim is all that's necessary.
if you are worried about the quick, why not get your flour ready ahead of time... in a little spoon so that's all you waste. and that powder... is it styptic powder? cause if it is... it burns like $%$#(@. they don't understand why there would be pain so it would be more humane to use flour. i've hit the quick on my cats several times in learning and it's not the end of the world. just calmly dip their claw in the flour.
* if you freak out, so will your pet. if you are calm, your pet will be calm too.
Marmalade... if you want us to clip your pets nails... a location other than Earth would be helpful :-)

Last edited by SothPaw; 02-21-2009 at 08:09 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:18 PM
is a little "special"

When I clip Smudges nails, I hold him really snug against my tummy so that he feels secure, and I gently pull out his paws from underhim and clip the nails with my other hand. You want to try to clip them as fast as you can with out hurting them... If it takes too long, they tend to get super restless and annoyed with you, and squirming sure doesnt help! It just takes alot of practice- I can do Smudge or Sunnys nails is about 3 minutes now.
Another thing that works is... Well, do you have one of those patio tables that have kinda a metal grid of sorts on them? Or like the wire thats at the bottom of alot of cages? Set him on something like that so that his nails go through the bottom, and just clip them like that- he wont even know its happening!
You also dont want to clip even near the quick- even tho you arent cutting it directly, the pressure from when your cutting close to it causes a sharp pain, and thats why they still jump. Just cut the very tip off. Youll eventually figure out exactly where hurt him and where doesnt. C: Hope I helped! Im terrible at explaining these things, LOL!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Turbo's mommy.

The breeder that i got Turbo from told me that by "shushing" him and covering his eyes and talking to him that it would calm him.

Turbo Bunny

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Newborn Pup

Marmalade; for clipping a rabbit's nails, I've always put them in a trance first. They're relaxed, and you can take your time clipping their nails. They can't jump either.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Betta Bomb

My bunnies are trance-proof!! i have someone else hold them and i cut them really fast with those sharp cat clipppers.All the while I talk to them and then they go off a little perturbed but un-harmed. I have styptic powder and it doesnt sting because I had a really bad cut and it wouldnt stop blleeding and I applied it and it didnt sting!!So thats always on hand when I cut bunner nails..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Turbo's mommy.

pet shop owner, steve, gave me a harness and leash today and told me "by spending floor time outside his nails will be filed and you don't have to play the chase game if he's on the leash ... to quietly hold the leash and step up to him tightening the slack on the leash until your near him and then scoop up your precious little bun bun and love him until no end"

Turbo Bunny

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM

i have yet to clip oliver's nails and im paying for it. scratch marks all over. i have to do it tonight but im a little nervous since he doesnt like to be held.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 PM

I haven't done Holly's yet either. He still gets jumpy when I go to pick him up! The only times he lets me without a fuss is if he's next to his cage and I just scoop him up to put him inside. He did hop into my lap a couple of times last night and actually stayed there for several minutes the first time while I petted him, so at least I'm making progress...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Betta Bomb

The earlier you guys start making nail cutting a positive ,heck-even a tolerable experience , the easier it will become for all involved. By waiting because they don't like to be picked up , the quick in the nail is growing with the nail which will make it have to be trimmed little by little a few times a week to get it right whereas if you start now-ish one quick nail cut will be all you need for a few months.