Nail Injury - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Nail Injury

My dutch rabbit was running around and after awhile he came over to me and i noticed that he was bleeding. His one nail was almost at 90 degrees angle from his other nails. It was bleeding and it looked like it was broken(quick). I panicked because this has never happened before and started going through websites to seek help. I put some cornstarch on the nail and after my friend advised me to put neosporin which i did. My parents told me that the nail would fall off by itself and a new one would come out. I was wondering if i should go to a vet just incase theres a sign of infection and if this has ever happened to anyone else and what i should do. please help ty. also im worried that he might not be able to sleep due to the pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I'm not sure about rabbits and broken nails, but something like this happened to my dog a while back. She had jumped off of the couch bed that was out, and her nail got stuck in the metal and pretty much almost ripper her nail off. Hers was pulled out by the "root" i guess you would call it. Hanging sideways. I took her into the vet and she had to have it removed in surgery. But that was only because the WHOLE nail was torn out partially.

Is his nail just broken in half, or is it the whole thing that is at a 90 degree angle? If its just broken in half, I would think it should be fine as long as you have controlled the bleeding and keep it clean, as with any small wound. But if the entire nail is coming off, I'd suggest going to the vet. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sorry if my advice is not helpful, I haven't owned a rabbit since I was young. :/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

If the nail didn't fall off I would take him to the vet. They will most likely remove the nail around where it broke and may give you some pain meds or antibiotics if there is a chance of infection. He'll probably be just fine though. I have had this happen to one of my rabbits and the nail completely grew back within a couple of months, but seemed to stop causing him pain in a day or two. But with the nail hanging off like that it's probably causing more pain than if you just had the vets remove it.

Be careful putting antibiotic like neosporin on him. He will most likely just lick it off and antibiotics can mess with their GI tracts. Make sure it's regular Neosporin and not Neosporin Plus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 PM
the rodent lover<3

This happened to Sunny & her nail came off, partly. It was bleeding for a while but I guess her bunny instinct kicked in and she started licking it but we wiped it anyway .. I heard you can put flour on it to stop bleeding.. if the whole nail didn't come off i'd recommend a vet! Good luck!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ty everyone for the advice =]. i will keep watching my bunny just incase of an infection or any signs of worsening in the nail. Should i try to wrap the paw with some sort of gauze?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 AM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
ty everyone for the advice =]. i will keep watching my bunny just incase of an infection or any signs of worsening in the nail. Should i try to wrap the paw with some sort of gauze?
We tried - Sunny got out of it So i'd say you can give it a shot but if it doesn't work just watch out for bleeding - and we kept Sunny in her cage the next day so she can get some time to heal

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Did his nail completely come off? My Teddy has had two nails break off. The first one I only realized after I found the nail on the floor. I am not sure when it happened - there was no blood found. But the second time I was clipping his nails - because I thought he was favoring a paw and worried his nails were too long - and I hadn't even gotten to clip the nail but I just touched it and it started bleeding like crazy - but the nail came off. There was so much blood and it looked like the hole that the nail grows from was open. I was worried about infection and I brought him in to the vet. He was put on antibiotics and given metacam for pain. He wasn't showing any signs of pain - but the vet and I agreed that it just had to hurt!
I am not sure what part of PA you are in but if you are in the Philadelphia area I have a name of a great vet.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I live in lancaster,pennsylvania. Jasper is doing a lot better now but idk if he sleeps or not. He likes to stretch his legs out and lay down in cage but he doesnt do that anymore and just tucks his paws underneath. The entire nail didnt come off but theres a small opening in the quick. I could'nt really check it very carefully since jasper kept running away due to the pain. I'm thinking that the nail will gradually heal over time but worried it might have to be removed. =[
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Betta Bomb

Hope everything turn s out ok
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

update: jasper's nail came off and he is somewhat more happier than before =]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

ouch - glad he is doing better

Tags
injury, nail, rabbit