Need bunny litterbox material suggestions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Hello, everyone.

I've searched for posts on this topic and haven't found anything. Forgive me if I'm duplicating, but I don't think I am.

My Ruby girl is great with her litterbox (lucky me--she came that way!). Her foster mom had been using newspaper to line the box (with a little hay in there, too, of course) so I have been doing that as well.

Although the newspaper is cheap, it doesn't do anything to help the urine smell and doesn't absorb all that well. What I especially don't like is that once Ruby pees or poops in the freshly changed box, she's sitting in her own mess every visit afterward, and that can't be healthy. Sometimes her little butt/tail fur gets wet this way. She seems to be really settling in since I got her (3 weeks ago now) and she's eating more and hence eliminating more too. This is healthy, but I am often changing the box now twice a day. There must be a better way!

Any suggestions anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM

i prefer Carefresh for my buns - it's great for absorbing odor and it's easy to clean

you can get it at most any pet store
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I use aspen shavings for my bunnies. They absorb odor really well and aren't too expensive .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 PM

woody pet all the way! you can get a huge bag for 10 bucks that last me over a month sometimes. i dont smell ANY bunny pee when i use that, and its easy to scoop out the mess cuz it turns to a saw dust type cake. so it save you money becuase you dont have to use nearly as much, and its increadiblty cheap. look for it at Tractor Supply Company
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with jewels. Carefresh works like magic for me
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:31 PM

i have never used carefresh with the buns. for some reason i am scared of them eating it and causing a blockage. but i use it with my mice. and mice can be REAL stinkers. and i dont smell them after over a week, although i still clean it twice a week (other than that one time, thats how i know)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i use aspen chips for my rabbit, it works great, i empty his box once a day, we have a small corner litter pan, i put about an inch or so in the bottem and its good for a day or maybe 2, ive never left it long enough for it to smell bad. and usually the top of the litter doesnt apear wet, so the yellowness on his feet from when we got him from the store seems to be going away
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 PM

I use aspen and/or ultra carefresh.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!

I have lots of options to try now!

But listen to this--I picked up a small thingy of Carefree on my way to work yesterday (and some bun food) and when I got home hours later I realized I had left the store without the Carefree! D'oh! So I'm back to the store today and hopefully they will have pity on me and remember I left the bag there. They put my stuff in two different shopping bags when it would have fit in one. I guess that messed me up.

Thank you everyone. I will sample some stuff you all suggested and see what works best in my situation and what Ruby likes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey Ratty Ratkins,

I can't seem to find the Woody Pet bedding that you like on the Tractor Supply Company site. Do I have the name right? Or could you possibly send me a link to the product? I want to check it out. Thanks!!!

(Very sorry to post this to all - I tried to email privately but the mailbox is full.)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM

I also use the carefresh bedding.

I can't smell Ollie at all.

Tags
aspen shavings, carefresh bedding, litter pan, pet store