Need help with my bunny's home setup! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Need help with my bunny's home setup!

I recently just bought home a new family member shelley! He is actually a guy but I gave him a feminine name because of a special meaning behind it =)

Anyway, I think it is because its my first time taking care of a pet, I get paranoid easily. I have done so many research and everyone says shaving is bad for a bunny, but I was told by the store's associate to spread it around in the cage for his comfort. I also bought those NIC things and fenced it around so I usually let him out most of the time when I am home except when I go to bed (I did that once and I couldn't sleep cuz he was dashing around like crazy)

My question is... is this a good setup for him? Why do I really need? What should i take out? What is the best way to set it up?? I tried to litter train him but he poos all over inside the cage.

Some help would be much appreciated!

Some photos of the setup:

www.imagearts.ryerson.ca/cchan/1.jpg
www.imagearts.ryerson.ca/cchan/2.jpg
www.imagearts.ryerson.ca/cchan/3.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

It looks good to me - looks like he has lots of space outside his cage to run around and play!

How old is he? Is he neughtered? How long did you attempt litter training?

What I do with my rabbits is instead of shavings or something I give them old towels to lay on and throw them in the washing machine when they need it. But my two guys are both litterbox trained, so they don't poo or pee on the towels.

There are other kinds of shavings that I think might be better for him, carefresh is safe but I've never tried it. You could even use old newspaper if you wanted too.

If he is only pooing all over in his cage, but not outside his cage, then I would think you should be able to get him to go in a litterpan if you work with him for awhile longer.

Good luck! He's very cute by the way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

He is about 8 weeks old and not spayed or anything yet. I never really tried to litter train him..its really hard to just to get him pee or poo in one corner.. but I guess i will try to get him a litterpan

Another thing bad thing using shaving is he creates a big mess and I have to spend so much time cleaning them everyday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

The shavings are probably encouraging him to poo in his cage. It's like one big litter box to him. If you take the shavings and just place them in the litter box it may help. And make sure you add hay to his box. And instead of shavings maybe you can use carefree or wood stove pellets. It's probably better to start with something soft like carefree instead of wood pellets.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

ohh sorry for being stupid..but what is carefree??
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Aww you're not stupid, I didn't know what it was until recently either! Carefresh is just another kind of bedding that can be used for rabbits. I never used it before, so I can't really tell you what it's like. Another kind you could check out is Yesterday's News, which is a pelleted cat litter that works well with rabbits. But remember to stay away from clay cat litters. I've also heard that wood stove pellets work well.

I agree with Kathydip that having shavings in all of his cage might be making him think the whole thing is a litterbox. You could try getting him a litterpan, and just put the shavings in the pan with some hay on top. After he gets use to that, you can switch out the litter and use something other than shavings.

The litterbox should help keep the mess down as well. I recommend getting the largest one you can fit in the cage, and try to get one with tall sides so that it's harder for your rabbit to kick stuff out of it.

If you need some help with litter training feel free to ask. Here are some good sites that were helpful to me when I was working on training my rabbit! Remember that sometimes you have to be patient, it might take him awhile to get it down perfectly but it will be well worth it when he does!

FAQ: Litter Training
The Basics Of Litterbox Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the big helps!!
come to think of it, its very true that he thinks the whole cage is his litterbox.. -_-

I am going to look for everything I need today and hopefully it will fix the problem!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

his cage set up actually looks really great, you can tell you've done some research.. Since everyone else has already mentioned that you might want to get a litter box, i'll move on to the next biggest concern, your little play yard, you might want to get some more NIC cubes and make his play yard 2 cubs high.. i made a play yard like yours for my rabbit and i didnt think he could get out of it.. until one day the phone rang, and he hopped right over the cubes and followed me down the hallway like a puppy. of course not all rabbits will jump out, my friends rabbit is content in his play yard and has never tried to escape
Also, if you can get some Cable zip ties, you can use those to hold your play yard together, so you can fold it up when your not using it.. if space is an issue that is..

My Furry Family
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Sorry - carefree are femine hygiene pads I meant to say carefresh!
LOL!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

My Furry Family
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

ohh carefresh i know! but that would create the same mess just like shavings right?

I am actually planning to build an NIC cage for him, now the question i have is...what type of material should I use for the base? I tried doing research but I am quite confused =(
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

If you get him a little box, most of the mess would be contained in the litter box. You would only put the carefresh or aspen shavings in the litter box. They dont really need bedding all over there cage if they have a litter box. For the NIC cage, theres alot of things you could use for the bottom, coroplast is whats said on most sites.. but you could also use floor tiles.. the idea is you want something smooth so its easy to clean

My Furry Family
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM
is a little "special"

Id say just put litter in his LB and keep the rest of the cage empty. Smudge got alot better w/ out shavings. And if I pu tshavings in his cage, he gets confused.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

sorry I just thought of another problem....

if I get a litterbox and put it outside of the cage, that means I have to leave him out all the time in the pen house, and by doing that I will not be able to get good sleep at night because thats when he starts dashing around..

aii..please helpppp
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I keep my litterbox in the cage, then when they're playing outside of the cage I just leave the cage door open, and they will run back in when they have to use the litterbox.

Tags
aspen shavings, box trained, cage door open, level cage, litter box, litter box trained, litter boxes, litter pan, litter train, litter training, pet store, pet stores, wood stove pellets