Need ideas for living quarters! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Need ideas for living quarters!

I really need some ideas for a new cage/living quarters for my two medium sized buns, Mojave and Sonora. They are currently in a large dog crate and its not working out. I used to have them in an exercise pen with linoleum flooring but that set-up was too messy and they chewed the linoleum all the time. I'm having problems with the crate because it wasn't made for rabbits and they are able to rattle the bars like crazy. The floor is also a problem because its made of a hard plastic and its extremely loud when their claws scratch it. I've tried putting mats in there but they just chew them up or go to the bathroom on them.

They have ok litterbox habits. They mean well, but they often hop in with their behinds sticking out and leave huge smelly puddles on the floor of the cage. Then they walk through the puddle and flick their paws. One time they flicked it in Mike's face and he was not happy! They are very active bunnies too and want to be out ALL the time. I let them out every day but they constantly rattle the bars, wanting to be let out again. They rattle them most of the night and in the early morning too when they want their breakfasts. Sonora is a dwarf mix and she is extremely fiesty and high energy. It seems like she rattles that cage non-stop!

Mike is totally fed up with them and its causing us to fight. He can't stand them making noise all the time and he hates the way they smell. It was probably a bad idea for me to get these buns while we were living in an apartment, but we had a better arrangement for them in our last apartment. I also thought they would be a lot less smelly and noisy. I love them so much and there is no way that I will ever give them up. I know there has to be a cage out there that is less noisy and stays cleaner. If anyone has any ideas, plase help! Even if you don't have bunnies but have a good cage for your other small animal, please share! It has to be quite large because these guys need lots of room.

Oh, and I've tried putting them outside on our patio because its warm and really nice out there. They get scared and thump really loud, so thats not going to work.

Thanks for reading this LONG post!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:28 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Get them a wire cage with a wire bottom, urine guards, a pull out tray underneath to make cleaning easy and you can buy resting boards to put in wire cages that the poop will still fall through. www.damars.com sells all of these things. They come in all different sizes and they will make custom cages too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Catherine. I've been looking at cages online too and I found one on ebay that looks pretty good. Its 24" by 46" long by 22" high. It has a pull out tray and its $69. What do you think? They also sell plastic resting mats with slots to let droppings fall through.

I think I'm having such a problem with this because the rescue that I got them from has a "no cage policy." They made me feel like cages are bad so I feel guilty. I tried the pen thing but it just didn't work for these guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

Don't know if this post is too late, but you could try a cube & coroplast cage. Try here: www.morfz.com/nic.html for some ideas. I have been researching before I get a bunny and I thought this was a pretty good site.
~Jenn
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Steph both my girls live indoors and they don't smell...they are litter trained though which helps but their habits also weren't that great. Do they have one litter tray between the two cause ideally they should have one each. My girls are indoors and they are both raised off the ground and have solid bottom cages (they fight so they are seperate remember). I don't like the wire bottom cages cause of their feet and if yours chew mats then they should ideally be on a solid bottom cage too.
You can get lots of toys for them to play with when they are inside the cage...like cat balls (check on them to make sure they aren't biting through the plastic to get to the bell) you can get things that hang from the cage etc.
MY girls don't have that much in the way of toys in their cage cause they get out every single day and get to jump up on things etc. and we play games with them so they are happy and content in their cage without too much but I do give them toilet rolls etc. to play with. I can post a pic of my girls cages when I get the net on (still waiting...it was supposed to happen yesterday) if you want to see but I've sen some great rabbit cages on the net in the US. Maybe check out a two level one so they have a bit more room!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I still haven't gotten them a new cage and I'm still dealing with the mess they make every day. I switched from Carefresh to Feline Pine, so that helps with the smell a little. They are still missing the litter box and making puddles of pee. It gets under the litter box so when I lift it, it gets all over everything-including me! Carmen, they have one litter box between them but its a large one. I used to use two but it was just more mess for me to clean up and it didn't really help. They have a lot of toys and I let them out all the time, but they still make a mess and throw all their stuff around. I don't think the cages with different levels would work. The ones I've seen are too small for Mo, and the large ones are just way out of my price range. I think that they are just very messy bunnies and wire is the only thing that will work for them. The large cage on e-bay looks good. I can't buy it right now though.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 02:57 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok this may help with the litter box...two options.....you could either stick ply wood to three sides of it so that when they backed into it they couldn't go over the edge. If you don't think that would work you could get another tray...larger than theirs...leave it empty and put it under their tray so that it catches any mishaps they may have. I say leave it empty cause that way they won't think that is their new tray and will still go in the one they are in.
To help with smell factor....we have both the bunnies and the dog living in the one room. I went and got one of those plug in wall air freshners that are designed for smokers, have it on the lowest setting and keeps the room smelling fresh constantly.
Noise factor for the bar rattling...you could attach cardboard to the outside of the crate and it will secure the bars a bit more and stop them from making so much noise....I'm trying to think of the cheapest options why you save for something more ideal!
And don't feel bad about having them in a cage. You let them out every day to exercise and that's all they need. They probably just make people feel bad to get rid of the people that stick them in a cage and give them no simulation.
Do your bunnies play games with you? Shadow has a game with me where she'll run up to me and then run off as soon as I go to touch her....I get down on my hands and knees and chase her and hit my hands on the ground (not too hard) which causes her to do flips in the air. Five minutes of this and she is stuffed and she is more tired then when she goes back into her cage! I assure you it is a game...the amount of twists and flips she does she isn't running with fear...it's total excitement!! If you could get yuor girls to play a game like that they may be happier to rest in their cage and not rattle the bars so much. Let me know what you think...I'll try to think of other options!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Carmen. Sonora lets me play chase with her sometimes. She has to be in the right mood though. Mo doesn't like to. He came from a shelter so who knows what he's been through. He has major bunnitude LOL. He does play with toys though and he likes to throw things around. Their favorite thing to do is to go in the cat carrier. I leave it open on the floor for them and they just have a blast going in it. They really love it when I put a towel in there so they can throw the towel around!

Oh and the problem with the litter box is they don't back in. They just hop in and pee so the pee goes out the front-which is the lower side of the box. I try to catch them to turn them around, but I they do it so fast. I've also tried putting hay in the front so they will turn around and eat the hay. It works sometimes, but not always. I moved their cage/crate into a corner and they seem a lot quieter and happier for some reason. If I get the job I interviewed for, I'm going to buy this huge cage on e-bay for them and hopefully that will make things easier on all of us, especially since I won't be home as much to let them out. Thanks for your suggestions!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Congratulations on getting the job! Your buns will be so happy with a new cage.
Why don't you get them a bigger square litter box? I have that kind for my buns and they don't pee "out" anymore. Just a suggestion.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I didn't get the job yet (unfortunately). I said "if" I get it. I don't know if I will because now they are saying they have to interview an internal candidate.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Oops, I missed the "If". But, I'm sure you'll get the job!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok let me think about the litterbox one for a bit longer!! I'm still trying to come up with ideas...oh ok how about this...I don't know what your litter tray looks like but Shadow used to have a shallow one and she used to make the biggest mess.....I got her a deep one (deep all the round) and she has been perfect with it ever since...it's too uncomfortable for her to hang her bum over the edge to do what she wants to do....I'l ltry and think of things for your litter tray too!

Tags
feline pine, litter box, litter train, litter trained, litter tray, rabbit cage, wire cage, wire cages