Netherland Dwarf - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Netherland Dwarf

hi im planning on getting 2 netherland dwarfs, 1 white and the other i dont know something else thats cute maybe gray ( like zues ( like the one dragon has) their very cute im looking for a tiny rabbit with alot of energy and smart and those fit a netherland dwarf and iv seen that alot of u have netherland dwarfs so can u tell me info about them, like how they are with humans ( i dont care about how their with children im the youngest in the family( 17) and all the babies in my family live in jersy and only come 1ce a yr and i really dont care if my rabbits attack them cuz they would deserve it cuz they know their not allowed to touch my rabbits lol) so just basic info about them i really dont feel to search the net about them cuz most of them are lies, like they say that dutch rabbits are very calm and lazy.... bchch not my dutch's their CRAZY but too bad im giving them away

I LOVE MY BABIES:
OREYO & CARAMELA ( BUNNIES)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

( RIP oreyo & caramela i love you
)
COTTEN & CANDY ( PARAKEETS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

So, you are giving away your Dutch rabbits so you can replace them with dwarf rabbits?

Dutch rabbits are know for their high intelligence and calm natures, most dwarf rabbits are known for their big attitudes and nipping. If a rabbit is not spayed/neutered it has a much higher rate to be aggressive and dominant due to hormones.
If you don't 'like' the rabbits you have now and you are looking to replace them with something new, my advice is to work harder with the rabbits you have, or don't get another, as rabbits are probably not the pet suited for you.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Wait, I don't understand - you're giving away the rabbits you have now to get two more? Why don't you just keep the ones you already have?

andreaS15 was right on with her info about dwarfs. From my experience, they do usually have attitude problems. Zeus can be sweet when he wants to be, but he also growls and smacks me with his paws when he doesn't want me to touch him. I've never gotton biten from him, but he has lunged at my hand before and has bitten other people who didn't know how to deal with him as well as I do.

I would never have a dwarf and not get it fixed. Zeus is cage aggressive even though he's fixed, I know he would probably be 100X worse if he wasn't neutered.

Dwarfs are small, and cute. But they need huge cages and lots of time out to play to be happy. They can have very independent personalities, where they'd rather do their own thing then be with their owners. They can also have attitudes and you really need to know how to deal with them, and just leave them alone when they don't want to deal with you.

But really I agree that you should work with the rabbits you have now instead of replacing them. When it all comes down to it, rabbits are rabbits, and if you don't like the two you have now then they'res a big chance you won't like the new ones either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

omg no no dont get me wrong i love the rabbits i have now to death, they were born in my house iv been with them in every step ( their first time they opened their eyes, walked ,ate regular food, first time in the garden... etc.) so u can just imagin how much i love them, for the last 5 monthes and 1 week iv been with these rabbits every single day for atleast 5 min. but the problem is that my parents will not let me get them spayed/neu. what so ever ( i dont even no why) but latley oreyo's hormones have been kicking in and he has become diffrent not with me but caramela, last week caramela was the one who mounted oreyo everytime he would get near her but a couple of days ago she just gave up and he started to mount her but not in a way to show whos the dominate one but the way they mate ( she lays down with her head down and tale up and then he will mount her and start to lick her and then doing something with his paws like if hes scratching her but he's not thats what my old rabbits ( his father) did after he mated with the mom, and after mating he doeant mount her until she gives birth and oreyo havent mounted caramela since that night. also carmela hasnt let anyone carry her since then except me of course cuz they trust me and usually female rabbits wont let anyone carry them when pregnent. so if caramela is pregnant i will let her give birth in my house and take care of her and the babies until their atleast a couple of weeks old and then give them to a shelter where my friend works to neuture them both and take really good care of them all and give them their shots ( mites shots cuz every now and then they keep on getting mites and all the things that they will give them to give them a long healthy life that i cant give them at this moment) and if she's not pregnant and their both females like i thought but they start to fight i will give them to the shelter so they can get neutered and all that stuff. but if they stay good with each other i will be the happiest person alive cuz i can keep them and hoefully next yr when i get my car and have enough money i will get them neuterd my self ( thats the happy version of my story lol) the reason i want to give them to that shelter is because my friend works thei and she sees how they treat the rabbits their right when a rabbit is taken in they send them to a doctor and the doctor gives the rabbit everything it need ( neu.,shots etc.) and then gives it to the shelter so if i give them my rabbits they will check them and make sure their not sick and neu. them and make sure that my babies are healthy and thats something i wish i can do but unfortunaly i cant at this moment ( u kow ow i believe the phrase that says " if u cant afford the vet then dont get a pet" so true) so these rabbits are my life and i rather see them happy and healthy then see them sad and fighting with each other. and the thing about the netherland dwarfs is cuz their are 3 five week old bunnies in the shelter and the mommy died like last week and all the rabbits they have are like really big ones ( rex and giant something rabbits they also have 2 dutches but compared to the dwarfs they are huge right now.) so i felt bad for them and my friend and i have decieded to adopt them i get 2 and shes 1 but were next door neighbors and share the same backyard so the rabbits wont be seperated but shes willing to take all 3 but if something happens with my dutch rabbits ( fight or something) she'll give me 2 to take cuz im better with rabbits but if i keep my dutch ( hopefully) she keeps all 3 and of course ill be able to see them and hopefully when i get my babies spayed we can boned all 5 togather so our babies can be neigbors too lol

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I still don't think I completly understand - if you can't get the ones you have now fixed, how are you going to get the new ones fixed? You'll just run into the same problems your having now, only with diffrent rabbits. And besides that, what are you going to do if something happens, if they get sick or hurt, and need to see a vet? That's great that you want to adopt from a shelter, but it kind of defeats the purpose if your bringing just as many back as you adopt.

Maybe you could work on raising the money yourself for the two rabbits you have now, and then ask a friend or relative if they'll take you to the vet to get them fixed if your parents won't do it.

Another potential problem I see is that bonding bunnies isn't always easy - you can't just assume that your going to be able to put all 5 bunnies together and have them all be buddies, it might not work, or it might take ALOT of time to work (and they should all be fixed before you attempt to bond them!). And if they do all bond, but then you have to seperate them (like if you or your neighbor moves and takes some of the bunnies away from the others) then they may become depressed - bonded bunnies form very strong bonds and usually get very upset when seperated from their buddies.

I think you should try to do whats best for the rabbits you have now before you think of getting more. Try to find out for sure what sex they are, and see if you can find a way to get them fixed. Then you shouldn't have to worry about them fighting due to hormones, and if after all that you still want more rabbits, then you can consider brining more into the mix.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreyo View Post
omg no no dont get me wrong i love the rabbits i have now to death, they were born in my house iv been with them in every step ( their first time they opened their eyes, walked ,ate regular food, first time in the garden... etc.) so u can just imagin how much i love them, for the last 5 monthes and 1 week iv been with these rabbits every single day for atleast 5 min.

so if caramela is pregnant i will let her give birth in my house and take care of her and the babies until their atleast a couple of weeks old and then give them to a shelter
Ok, so you are allowing a brother and sister rabbit to breed (Known as inbreeding) and produce more animals that you are going to place in all already full shelter.
What part of that do you think is responsible?

Quote:
but the problem is that my parents will not let me get them spayed/neu. what so ever ( i dont even no why)

… hoefully next yr when i get my car and have enough money…
They are your responsibility, not your parents. If you are getting a car, which is a LOT more costly then a rabbit spay or neuter, then you can afford to alter at least one of those animals.

Quote:
also carmela hasnt let anyone carry her since then except me of course cuz they trust me and usually female rabbits wont let anyone carry them when pregnent.
Bogus information, absolutely not true.

Quote:
the reason i want to give them to that shelter is because my friend works thei and she sees how they treat the rabbits their right when a rabbit is taken in they send them to a doctor and the doctor gives the rabbit everything it need ( neu.,shots etc.) and then gives it to the shelter so if i give them my rabbits they will check them and make sure their not sick and neu. them and make sure that my babies are healthy and thats something i wish i can do but unfortunaly i cant at this moment ( u kow ow i believe the phrase that says " if u cant afford the vet then dont get a pet" so true) so these rabbits are my life and i rather see them happy and healthy then see them sad and fighting with each other.
I run a rabbit shelter, I have over 50 Rabbits in my care there, all of which have been dropped off because someone thought they’d have a better life in a shelter. 50 rabbits do not get 1 on 1 time, they do get to see a vet, but what do you think they would rather have, a trip to the Vet or a loving family?
Our rabbits are at least in a rabbit only shelter, so they don’t have to hear the ongoing barking or meowing of dogs and cats.

Quote:
and the thing about the netherland dwarfs is cuz their are 3 five week old bunnies in the shelter and the mommy died like last week and all the rabbits they have are like really big ones ( rex and giant something rabbits they also have 2 dutches but compared to the dwarfs they are huge right now.) so i felt bad for them and my friend and i have decieded to adopt them i get 2 and shes 1 but were next door neighbors and share the same backyard so the rabbits wont be seperated but shes willing to take all 3 but if something happens with my dutch rabbits ( fight or something) she'll give me 2 to take cuz im better with rabbits but if i keep my dutch ( hopefully) she keeps all 3 and of course ill be able to see them and hopefully when i get my babies spayed we can boned all 5 togather so our babies can be neigbors too lol
And in 5 years when you two are in College or moved away, who will have the rabbits then?
5 week old baby bunnies (if they survive w/out their mother) will have a much better chance of getting adopted then your two full grown bunnies (one of which will give birth to an inbred litter of more bunnies, to take up more space in a shelter), why take away the young bunnies chance for a life with a family who is willing to spay/neuter them and afford them Vet care when they needed?

The right thing to do?
Separate your bunnies. Keep them in cages side by side. Save up, take back bottles or whatever it takes to save up the $150 or so to get your male neutered. Even ask the shelter if they would neuter your rabbit for you, many shelters will help those who need it if it means they don't have to take in another animal.
Once he’s neutered you can put them back together and they will no longer fight one another, nor will they produce any more unwanted inbred rabbits.

It's not my intention to upset you with this, it is hard facts from experience.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!

Last edited by andreaS15; 04-07-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok for the part of bonding all 5 togather i was just kidding, i would never bond rabbits togather if im not 100% sure they will stay 2gather for life. and the netherland dwarfs they will not be adopted till their atleast 3 or 4 monthes old cuz they have to be spayed before adopted. and all the other stuff i really dont know what to do im justs soooo confused now i really love my rabbits i have now and i really want to get them spayed and hopefully i will soon i finally got a job and im saving for them from my first paycheck. and the car my brother is buying me one for my b-day which is on october 29th so hopefully sometime in november i will get them spayed/neu but they will be 1 yr on nov. 1 ( will it still be safe for them at that age) so u guys i really really appreciate for ur help and i really dont know what to do right now cuz im sooo confused. but i will keep on thinking of the best thing i can do.

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

In my honest opinion it sounds like you are fed up with the ones you have and want the netherlands coz they are cute little baby bunnies! I have a netherland and he can be the sweetest bunny alive but just this morning he tried to nip me etc. He has a right attitude on him and he tries to bully my other bunny and these 2 have been together since the age of 10 weeks they are now 8 months! They have both been neutered and so i am hoping the bickering between them calms down but i know 100% that my nethie is still gonna be a little livewire! If i were you i would either stick with the 2 you have and let someone who can offord everything buns need have the babies or just have NO bunnies at all!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Part of the Pack

I agree. Save up for the spay/neuter ...in the meantime put them in separate cages beside each other at least until you know the sex of them. Our recent spay has turned Molly back into the sweetheart she was as a baby. It is so worth it. Your bunnies have already got an attachment to you...and you to them. I would call the shelter to see if they could do the spay/neuter for you at a cheaper price...(they might if it means they will not be dumped off). Please don't bring new ones in if you don't have the means to get vet care. All babies grow up... and have the same issues you are dealing with now. Wishing you the best in making the most responsible decision!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have to say that I have a dwarf and I have a dwarf/floppy! My dwarf nips at my hand and arms and my husband too! She isn't mean but she is just not as nice! My floppy/dwarf is the sweetest bunny I have ever been around! I would just try to work it out with your buns now!!

Medusa (Ball Python)

Ares & Athena

Apollo-Maia (Dwarf) & Hermes-Aphrodite (Floppy/Dwarf) They are both boys!! HAHAHA

Pandora (Savanah Monitor Lizard)

Artemis (Mixed Black Dog)
Don't forget Gary, Bob & Pat (HERMIT CRABS)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sounds to me like you aren't entirely even sure what you want to do. I think it is a good idea to get information but I agree with the idea you need to stick with what you have got for now and see what happens. I understand how much it sucks to have to give up an animal and all you want to think about is the next one you can get and how that one will work out. I am not trying to gang up on you here and I don't think anyone else is either. I think we are just all concerned. Whenever I was considering a new anything I would sit on it for at least a week and with pets at least 2 weeks or more. You can do research and see if that is what you still want later. If you are not happy with your bunnies or can't take care of them the shelter is probably the best bet. I wish you luck and feel free to PM me if you just wanna mull stuff over some more.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

I won't comment on the strangeness and what sound like irresponsibility of this situation, since others already have.

I just wanted to say that it's weird my netherland dwarf never bites me or gives me attitude, it's my dutch who does all that. But my dwarf bunny gives my dutch bunny major attitude.

R.I.P.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

im opening a new thread for the same subject but its gona be the best news ever ( will for me and my bunnies) pls read it its called " best news ever" lol

I LOVE MY BABIES:

)

Tags
baby bunnies, netherland dwarf, separate cages, vet care