Netherland Dwarf and Polish rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Hi, all -- I'm usually over on the prairie dog forum although haven't been for a while, but I'm here to get some advice on a possible pet rabbit. Our dutch rabbit of almost 8 years passed away a couple of weeks ago -- he had cancer and although it wasn't completely unexpected, we (and especially my 11-year-old whose bunny it was) were devastated.

Anyway, we have tossed around ideas for another pet to love. We thought of shying away from bunnies unless he/she could be kept indoors, and we really don't have the room. Hamsters are out I think because of their short life span. We had seriously been thinking of a guinea pig. But then I got to thinking, why not a Netherland Dwarf or another type of "dwarf" bunny?

Can anyone offer any advice on whether these make suitable pets? We do have other animals in the house (two prairie dogs and two "regular" dogs) who would be kept away from her. Is it true that they are high strung and not good for young children? My daughter is 11 but had complete responsibility when caring for our last rabbit who she adored.

Anyway, any thoughts? I'd certainly appreciate it!

Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I don't know anything about dwarf bunnies but my two are both litter trained. Once they were fixed they have been perfect with using the litter boxes. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for when you indicated you wanted to keep the bun inside or not.
I am very sorry about the loss of you bunny. I know that even when expected it can still be devestating. I hope that you let another bunny into your lives. I know we are now complete bunny lovers. I am not sure I would ever be with out bunnies.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:20 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

i used to own 3 nethies they had there monents when they used to bite at my clothes etc i think they might of been better behaved if i had them altered

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

what about mini lops as they are also a dwarf breed and very friendly

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Hi Willi -

We have 5 Netherland Dwarfs and they are beautiful! I love them and wouldn't change them for the world...but here are some of my experiences that may influence your decision about whether they're suitable for your family:
- none of them like to be picked up very much...but the older ones have learned to trust me and like to be patted
- one of them (female) was quite bitey before she was spayed - she's much better now
- our 5 live inside but they spend most of their time out of the hutch - they like their freedom and look very sad if they have to stay in for too long! So their small size doesn't really mean they don't take up a lot of room!
- I've found it difficult to litter train them...but that could be me, rather than bunnies!
Of course, these are just one person's experiences - I love them dearly - soooo cute!

Good luck with the decision!

Zoe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 PM

Well, my experience is a bit different from Zoe's...

I have my little Daisy and she is a doll - granted, she is a little priss pot. She loves being cuddled and picked up and she litter trained the fastest as well - she is also the cleanest of my buns (although it may be because she mixed in with a group of boys!!). She's spayed and all of our buns are kept inside. She's nothing to pick up and she's just a little ball of fluff. I'd definitely recommend the breed, if not just for the small size.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I had a Dwarf mix and she was very shy. However, once I earned her trust she was extremely sweet. I've found dwarves to be very intelligent and a bit...sensitive, haha! They can be moody sometimes but if you got a well-bred, well-socialized rabbit from a good breeder (NOT a petstore) you shouldn't have any problems .

Oh, and right now I have a Dwarf Hotot mix so I guess he counts as a dwarf . Because he was neglected he doesn't like to be touched but has been getting better lately. He's extremely happy, playful, and obedient.

My brother has a Polish Dwarf. He loves the breed because of their independence and energetic personalities. His rabbit is outgoing and fairly friendly....but definately not cuddly!

However, if you are looking for a small rabbit for a child I would look into the Holland Lop or the Jersey Woolie. I feel those breeds would be better for a child . Both are calm and affectionate breeds that stay pretty small.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
guinea pig, holland lop, litter box, litter boxes, litter train, litter trained, mini lop, mini lops, netherland dwarf, prairie dog, prairie dogs