To Neuter, Or Not To Neuter - That Is The Question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Question To Neuter, Or Not To Neuter - That Is The Question...

I am thinking of bringing my 8-month-old female rabbit, Dusty, inside to live as a House Rabbit. However, i have heard that they are much easier to litter-train when they are neutered. Is this true? Is this just for boy rabbits or girls too? My local vets charge about £60 for the operation and so it would be my xmas present...is it cruel to keep her un-neutered? Will she be happier neutered? Please post your comments - i'm confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:05 PM

I am glad that you are asking the question. And maybe others, who also wonder, will have the truth about getting a bunny fixed or not. This goes for females bunnies....yes they SHOULD be spayed. Why? (1) to settle down the hormones, (2) for health issues. Female rabbits seem to have a high risk of developing uterine cancer (about 85%) (3) to not reproduce (4) for being clean. For males it's a bit different. They also need to be neutered for same reasons as (1), (3) and (4). However, a small % of male ARE clean (meaning they dont spray, they use the litter box and they are affectionnate). So if a un-fixed male is clean, it's YOUR choice to get him fix or not. My actual bunny, is 6 months old and he is clean. So I wont get him fix.

For your other concern. Fixing your bunny is NOT cruel. In fact, it will help them a lot. Most people here have they bunnies fixed. I think that having our bunnies fixed hurts more us then the bunny!

Anyways, I hope all that helps.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:07 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
I am glad that you are asking the question. And maybe others, who also wonder, will have the truth about getting a bunny fixed or not. This goes for females bunnies....yes they SHOULD be spayed. Why? (1) to settle down the hormones, (2) for health issues. Female rabbits seem to have a high risk of developing uterine cancer (about 85%) (3) to not reproduce (4) for being clean. For males it's a bit different. They also need to be neutered for same reasons as (1), (3) and (4). However, a small % of male ARE clean (meaning they dont spray, they use the litter box and they are affectionnate). So if a un-fixed male is clean, it's YOUR choice to get him fix or not. My actual bunny, is 6 months old and he is clean. So I wont get him fix.

For your other concern. Fixing your bunny is NOT cruel. In fact, it will help them a lot. Most people here have they bunnies fixed. I think that having our bunnies fixed hurts more us then the bunny!

Well said Sandra.. I would have told ZooKeepa exactly the same..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Ditto!! We're getting our female bunnies fixed after the new year
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:17 PM

Thanks Steph...not too many people knows the truth about getting a bunny fixed or not...so I hop this helps.

CuffnStuff, good for you that you are getting your bunnies fixed. Another thing I forgot to mention is that it takes about 2 months for the effects of spayed/neutered to settle in. Bunnies DONT get clean the day after they are fixed. Gotta let time for the hormones to go down and the older the bunnie the longer it might take.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:19 PM

Red face

Both my female bunnies have been neutered, and my previous bunnies one male and the other female, were also done.. It makes them a better/ happier pet ( no raging hormones)..
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:23 PM

BTW, for some neutered males, they might continue to hump...but not as much. They still might do it as a dominant thing or just for being affectionate. For those whos bunnies still hump after being fixed, just give them a stuffed animal....and don't worry about it!!!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

everyone has given great advice so I'm just going to say be kind to your rabbits and spey/neuter them!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:40 PM

Like Bob Barker says, "Please have your pets spayed and neutered".
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:42 PM

Red face

Quote:
Like Bob Barker says, "Please have your pets spayed and neutered".
Who is Bob Barker?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 07:57 PM

I hope I got his name right! He's the show host from The Price is Right in the US!!!!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:14 PM

Red face

Ok! Thanks for that..
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 03:14 AM

I agree with Carmen "be kind to your bunnies, spay/neuter" 2 of our buns will be close to 6 months old in January and the other about 4-5 months so like Darren menitoned above we are waiting until after the new year, I feel comfortable getting them all done at the same
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank You very much for your comments - I have decided to get Dusty neutered a.s.a.p even if it means not getting a xmas present...it's important that she's happy, and hopefully then she will be able to live with me inside and be more friendly and not so stressed out! I really appreciate all the help on this one...i would have puzzled over it for months!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Oh no....someone's just said to me that it's too late to see any changes by neutering Dusty....she's only 8-months-old....:s Is it too late for her stressy behaviour to calm down? Please post! Btw i still think it's worth it to make her happier, and to reduce the risk of cancer....so i'm still going to get it done but is this true???

Tags
house rabbit, litter box, mini lop, netherland dwarf, neutered male, stuffed animal