Neutering :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Angry Neutering :(

Can anyone provide a little insight as to what is going on? I feel like this is a total disaster!!

I neutered my rabbit for the following reasons:

1)for him to be healthier
2)to stop him from biting on the cage bars
3)to stop distructive chewing

Since the neuter I feel like I have more negatives then positives!

Before After

Chewing------------------STILL CHEWING

Biting the cage-----------STILL BITING THE CAGE

Would run around---------RARELY RUNS AROUND (Sleeps a lot!)
(Happy Dance)

Would come over to me---NEVER COMES TO ME

Was working with him
and he would let me
hold him------------------NEVER LETS ME HOLD HIM!

Could pet him freely-------LETS ME PET HIM ONLY WHEN EATING

This neuter has not changed any of his bad behaviors, has ruined all his good behaviors (except litter training) and RUINED MY BUNNY'S TRUST IN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there ANY hope!!!!??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How long has it been since the neuter? I know it takes several months (I've heard 6, not sure) for the hormone levels to decrease, which may be part of why the behavior isn't changing yet.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah its only been about three weeks...ahh so maybe there is hope!!

Ive heard that since he is so much older (10 months) his behavior might not ever change. I would be able to deal with the bad behavior if I could have the good things back also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

First of all, since rabbits' teeth continue to grow throughout their lives, chewing is the only way to make sure that they are filed down correctly (naturally). So, if you find that your rabbit is constantly chewing the things he shouldn't be, then you should give him plenty of things that he is allowed to chew. I've never heard of neutering being able to correct problems like chewing...

And like Jade said, give him some time. He may just need to adjust. And don't give up. Like most animals, if they figure out that they can get away with something, they will. So, if you pick him up and he squirms, cover his eyes (just with your hand) and hold him until he calms down. Just a few ideas.

I hope that he "gets back to normal" soon. It can be very frustrating.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Part of the Pack

I heard that the sooner the better so that the habit changes (usualy done at 4-6 months). And also heard that it takes 1 to 2 months for the hormones to settle down. If he is still bitting the cage, is there enough toys for him to chew on? I also heard that after surgery, the bun should be in his cage for a few days or a week so he can recover faster. Let me know how it goes. My bun is getting fixed real soon and now I am worrying.... Good luck with your bun!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

www.busybunny.com has some awesome chew toys for rabbits! They make edible baskets and toys, hay cubes, pine cones...tons of cool stuff to keep your bunny busy. Mine are both fixed and they still throw little tantrums once in awhile. Did you try the schedule thing I mentioned awhile back? Putting them on a set schedule greatly helps. I broke up my bunnies schedule the last few days and my buns are mad at me now! I let them out in the morning two days in a row, which was a no-no, and now they expect to come out EVERY morning. When I didn't let them out today, Sonora dumped all her bowls and kicked all the litter out of the litter box. Rusty destroyed what was left of his grass mats and made a huge mess. They are major creatures of habit, so try the schedule thing. If you need me to explain my "schedule system" again or have any questions let me know.

Don't get frustrated! Bunnies, are fast learners. I just know you will be able to change his behavior.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
How long has it been since the neuter? I know it takes several months (I've heard 6, not sure) for the hormone levels to decrease, which may be part of why the behavior isn't changing yet.
When I had my male bunny neutered it took a few months, the same with my female bunnies.. I think they just need a bit of time, to adjust to the changes they must be experiencing..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

First- Jellybean does have chew toys, however he has never ever liked them. He just pushes them out of the way. The things he likes to chew on are papers, cardboard and carpets! I gave him a toilet paper roll and he did not touch it...even when i put hay inside. But then when I tired to make him a bigger bunny house out of cardboard he chewed the whole thing!! Im going to get some new toys off that bunny site and see how he likes them.

Second- I have been keeping him on a schedule and it is helping. I also put a sheet over the front of the cage while we are sleeping so that he knows he wont get attention. That has calmed him down a lot with the chewing on the bars.

Third- My main concern right now is his distrust for me. Its really upsetting, its like either he wants nothing to do with me or hes scared that Im going to bring him back to the vet...either way its not good. I was making such good progress and now I cant even get near him. I really want to cry!!!! I open the cage door for play time and he wont even get out of the cage with me in the room. When I come back in the room he stays under the bed and just lays there. The only way I can get him back in his cage is by putting his greens and more hay in the cage and then leaving the room and waiting for him to go in on his own.

This is so horrible we have no relationship anymore.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Quote:
First- Jellybean does have chew toys, however he has never ever liked them. He just pushes them out of the way. The things he likes to chew on are papers, cardboard and carpets! I gave him a toilet paper roll and he did not touch it...even when i put hay inside. But then when I tired to make him a bigger bunny house out of cardboard he chewed the whole thing!! Im going to get some new toys off that bunny site and see how he likes them.
Some of the best chew toys are homemade. Try a big (preferably out dated) phone book! He'll most likely love it.

I know it's hard to be patient, and if he's already been friendly, that makes it worse!

Hope things work out soon, for you two.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Great suggestion...he seems to like the phone book somewhat. He chewed on it a little bit. Thats a better reaction then Ive had with wooden carrots and cardboard!

Thank you for the suggestion!!!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Part of the Pack

Poor thing! I feel so bad. Is Jellybean still scared of you?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

You're welcome, I'm just glad it worked! If there's one thing I've learned in all my years owning pets (of any kind), they like the stuff that costs you next to nothing to get, and could care less about the must-have-cost-a-fortune-toys, .

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm sorry that he distrusts you now. Thats really strange. I took Sonora in to be spayed and she never developed a fear of me. Have you tried using treats to gain his trust back? Is there anything that he just absolutely loves to eat and might take from your hand?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 03:08 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

he is just having major hormonal changes after his surgery. It's nothing to worry about. His hormone levels will come back to normal and he'll be your sweet little bun again. It's like I told you before...it takes at least one month for them to start to improve and that's just the start. Be patient.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I try periodically to give him treats. Not too many though cause the vet says hes getting a little heavy. Unfortunatly, it hasnt made any progress. He just runs out from under the bed, snatches the treat from me and scurrys back under the bed to eat it. Sometimes he will only just poke his head out for fear that I might try and pick him up.

Thanks RSBunny! That last comment gave me some hope! Im going to try and be patient and work with my bun till he trusts me again.

Tags
cage bars, chew toy, chew toys, hay cubes, litter box, litter train, litter training