Neutering Pros/Cons - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Neutering Pros/Cons

My male bunny is still very little - but I was wondering what are the Pros/Cons of neutering - I don't want to have it done if it's really unnecessary.
What is the best age to do this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Here's an article that I believe will answer all your questions .

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

Like I've said in another post, I was not able to get my male bunny neutered because of some past health issues he had. I wish I had acted sooner and gotten him neutered while he was still very young and before he got sick. Even though genital cancer isn't as big as an issue as it would be for a female bunny, you still have to deal with their hormonal outbursts which can be quite annoying. My bunny fortunately isn't aggressive when his hormones act up, but probably a lot of bunnies are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you !!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

When I got Teddy he was fully grown and not neutered. I felt awful for him because he had only one thing on his bunny mind. It was hard to see this poor bun not be able to even play properly because his urges kept getting in the way. It took months for his hormones to calm down. He still has a stuffed dog that is his "girlfriend" but instead of that being what he did all the time he only does it once in a while. Ollie on the other hand was a young bun when we got him - again not neutered. He was neutered at about 4 months and he never had the problems Teddy did. He also does not need a stuffed puppy for a girlfriend.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 PM

I think unless you could not find a vet with rabbit experience and were worried about unsafe surgery procedures I would spay/neuter any rabbit. Especially females because the risk of uterine cancer is so high! Holly is four months one week and he has to go back to the vet in two weeks so I might ask then if she thinks he's ready for his neutering. He's starting to chew a lot more than he did before - I give him cardboard and he tears it up, it looks fun.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Everyone,
Thanks for sharing your advice
Have a Good Day!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

Now, my question is:

Does it REALLY effect their behavior? My Ruby is fine. I have no complaints about her. She's obedient, well-behaved, and smart yet she is not spayed.

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

female buns have a tendency to get female cancer as a main reason for getting neutered some are grumpy if not but mostly it is the likelihood of cancer

Males tend to get agreesive fits if they aren't neutered

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Rodentologist

I have to back what Kendalle says. We have spayed so many female rabbits that have been turned into our rescue only to find when they're on the surgery table that they already have cancer, and in some cases it's spread.

People often tell us that they've "never had a rabbit die from reproductive cancers", but to tell the truth you usually can't tell. One day they're ok, and then the cancer has spread and they suddenly become sick. There are no specific symptoms, and without a necropsy it can be difficult to tell.

80% of adult female rabbits will develop reproductive cysts or cancers.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I agree as well - it's very important to spay a female due to the very high risk of reproductive cancers. It's sooo much cheaper to get them spayed than it would be to try to treat cancer, if you even catch it in time to treat it, and if you can spare yourself that heartbreak and spare the rabbit from having to go through that, than why not do it?

In males they arn't as likely to get cancer, but they are more likely to spray, and hump when not neutered. In my opinion they make much better pets when they're not full of hormones and only thinking of one thing all the time.