New Addition - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

New Addition

Maybe this isn't the right place to post this, but I am adopting a lionhead rabbit from my local shelter. I kind of came upon him by accident. When I originally went in, there was a little netherland dwarf rabbit I wanted to put in an application for. One of the women at the shelter explained that he had been returned from an adoptive home because he had bitten a child. He also had food aggression. The woman said that the shelter wasn't sure whether they were going to adopt him out again or not, but I explained I was experienced with rabbits and had the time to spend with bunny to help him get over his issues. Two days later i went in to drop off the form and they told me that they had had him PTS. I was upset, but the woman told me that there was another bunny who had just been surrendered. "Jeremy" they called him. He is a little lionhead just over a year old. I put in my application for him, it was accepted, and now I am waiting for him to be fixed and then I can take him home. I have the cage set up in my room- its both happy and sad, because I miss Henry very very much, but happy because there will be a bunny in my life again. (thanks for listening to my rambling.) Anyways, I'll post photo's ASAP!

I also havn't decided on a name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh I am so sorry they put the bun down.
But I am glad to hear you will be getting Jeremy! Have you seen him? What color is he? I bet he is adorable. I cannot wait to see his pictures!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Part of the Pack

I don't have a bunny right now, but I always enjoy reading about them. I lost my Roger Rabbit a few years ago--I understand the hole it leaves in your life! He's the only bun I've had so I'm not as experienced as you. I don't live near a big city and don't know of any bunny rescue shelters anywhere near here--are they pretty common to find? Even my vet's office rarely had rabbits in for treatment. If I were to get another one, I would surely consider giving one from a shelter a chance to have a good home! Bless you for your compassion! Buns are so sweet!!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm happy to hear that you'll be getting another bun! Can't wait for pics and updates.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
is a little "special"

Someone gave a bun bun back just because he bit someone? Thats so sad... Definatly not something to be PTS over!
Its nice that you would have adopted him though, and I cant wait to see pics of the bunny you are adopting!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
can't think of one, help

It does seem unneccesary to have put him down. He was probably just being a bunny, certainly wouldn't have seriously hurt anyone. At least they didn't feed him to a snake. Glad you are getting the other bunny. Pics please As soon as you are able.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yay, Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures and maybe we can help you with a great name! =D

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

That's too bad they put the nethie to sleep. A lot of times all those 'aggressive' rabbits need is a good home and someone who understands them.

Congrats on your new addition though! Lionheads are adorable Post pics as soon as you can and let us know when you think of a new name for him!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you everyone I agree michelle.. netherland dwarfs are so misunderstood especially. Of course it bit the kid, the kid was probably being rough with it, plus it was abandoned so it had food agression (can you blame him for either?) But as of next friday, I can take him home. I'm so excited, its just a pain cause he's on a waiting list to be fixed but I go visit him almost every day so he is getting used to me. And Tommycat, this is the first time ive adopted from a shelter, my last bunny was from a pet store but I will never buy another animal again, so live and learn! I cant wait to post pictures, he had the craziest little head of hair! And im soo stumped for a name.

give your love no matter what.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't live near a big city and don't know of any bunny rescue shelters anywhere near here--are they pretty common to find?
They arn't always in big cities! Actually when I lived in the middle of no where MA there where more rabbit shelters around me than now, and I live outside of NYC now.

Sometimes normal cat/dog shelters will have a rabbit section and take them in. Or sometimes there will be rabbits only shelters, or places that use a system of foster homes instead of an actual shelter. If you're intersted, try doing a google search for rabbit shelters/rescues in your area.

It's sad that nethies are misunderstood. I guess a lot of people think they are grumpy or aggressive, but I looove their personalities! And no, I definatly can't blame that bunny for biting a kid.

Ha I love lionheads hair. Barnaby has crazy hair too. That's so sweet that you go to visit him so often He's deffinatly one lucky bunny that you found him!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

Anxious to see bunny photos!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Marmalade, congratulations on your new bun.

At a shelter near where I live, they keep the rabbit cages is a spot where they can watch people looking at them. When someone sticks a finger in a cage, someone at the desk yells at them, and tells them that if a rabbit bites them, that rabbit will have to be removed from the adoption floor and will have to be euthanized! I don't know if that is true, bet that is what the people at the desk claim.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Playful Pup

Wow, Holly nibbles me all the time when he's licking me, it's just lovebites. I actually have a pile of bruises on my hands from it because it doesn't actually hurt that much so I only stop him when he goes for sensitive skin (like the inside of my wrist, ouch). Sadly he's getting PTS vv soon coz he's sick and I'm going to be so sad when the last bruises fade and he's not there to give me more.