new baby rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up new baby rabbits

ok my rabbit had babies, she had 5 of them. one died after she had it,it was an accident and she did not mean to kill it. I think she was just having hard time before I got back home.

also 2 others died from her sitting on them, but the other 2 left seem healthy.
is it healthy for a baby rabbit to be fat, does he just like to eat or something. he seems healthy to me and I was just a little concerned is all. I am new to this whole rabbit thing.

anyway let me know ok,one is a runt small and the other one is ok as well. just fat is all. is the baby rabbit ok or is this just normal let me know and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I am allergic to maths

Hes probably fine, its not abnormal
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by petluvr38 View Post
ok my rabbit had babies, she had 5 of them. one died after she had it,it was an accident and she did not mean to kill it. I think she was just having hard time before I got back home.

also 2 others died from her sitting on them, but the other 2 left seem healthy.
is it healthy for a baby rabbit to be fat, does he just like to eat or something. he seems healthy to me and I was just a little concerned is all. I am new to this whole rabbit thing.

anyway let me know ok,one is a runt small and the other one is ok as well. just fat is all. is the baby rabbit ok or is this just normal let me know and thanks
Well I have bad news about my baby rabbits.
I had 2 left and they were healthy,even if I had to make
the female feed them which she did not like but she still let me do it.
anyway my bedroom seems to not close right at times,
due to living in an apartment building. they are poor at fixing things.

I went to the store,and when I came back.
I found my babies dead. One one still alive and about to die
shaking to death and the other we found all blood all over its neck. My dog I know they did not do this,we saw cat teeth
on them both. are rabbits really predators to them.

do they they consider rabbits prey,or just something to play with for kill. please tell me.
cause I only thought dogs chase rabbits. now to find this awful thing happen to me. I ask for help.
how do I keep my rabbits safe. they have cages. but when she ever has babies again. how can I keep this from happening again. thanks for hearing me out.

if I could rename myself,I would be called heart broken right now. I could use a friend right now.

Last edited by petluvr38; 05-07-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: are cats known to kill rabbits,and eat them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry about the baby bunnies.

Yes, cats definatly have the potential to see rabbits as prey and attack them, especially small defensless baby rabbits.

If your rabbit is killing her babies by sitting on them and isn't feeding them properly herself I really don't suggest you breed her again. You don't want to set yourself up for heart break again, and it's really not good for the female to keep having babies anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Hello Earthling

Sorry for your lose.

But as the above poster said I won't breed her again if she is killing them. Plus there is already enough homeless bunnies.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I am allergic to maths

Im so sorry about that
Acctually, cats are more commonly known for attacking rabbits and other small animals. Wild cats kill to eat but domestic cats usually just attack
Im so sorry this happned R.I.P baby buns Was this her first litter? I know some have problems with their first litter, its just as when a human has a baby, you learn from trail and error. If you are worried or not very confident with this bun, dont breed it again. Hope you cheer up soon! *hugs*
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so sorry!
Cats have something in their saliva that can be deadly to buns. My cat Bean bit Teddy because he was chasing her. The vet put Teddy on baytril so that he didn't get sick.
As the others recommended it probably would be best not to breed her again. You could wind up with the same heartbreak again.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb hi again

the next time won't happen,I'm making me a little small hutch. I have it in my head. the cats hate getting near the cage.
Im going to make me a strong nesting ground cage for her,just in case.

also I am going to get me another door in the bedroom,
since my dog is the one who ruined it. I will be replacing it. the landlord is greedy and won't fix nothing like hat till i move out.
and so i have decided to do it myself to protect my babies.

and thanks hun i did not know cats have something that can kill them,sounds awful.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah cats have a bacteria in their mouths that can be deadly to rabbits, and can cause some pretty nasty infections in humans too if you get bitten or scratched.

What are you going to do with all the babies if they survive? If the mom killed some of them the first time you know there is a chance of that happening again? Also, I hope if you are breeding her that she has a pedigree and isn't just a pet store rabbit. I don't want to sound mean, but there are already thousands of homeless rabbits in shelters and really you shouldn't breed an animals that you don't know the background of.

If you choose to breed her again I would suggest you at least give her some time to rest from her last litter. It's hard on the mom to have multiple litters so close together. Maybe afterwards you can consider getting her spayed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 12:26 AM

Rabbits are prey to so many different animals. Practically anything that eats meat will go for a rabbit, with the exceptions of well-trained and raised domestic dogs and some more laid-back cats. It's why they can be so incredibly shy.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:04 AM

We breed our rabbit and 1 week after breeding she started pulling out her fur. Could it be a false pregnancy? This is her first time being breed. Just confused? Any ideas?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I am allergic to maths

Where is she pulling out her fur? She is probably just getting rid of the fur around her nipples so she can feed them when they come
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am so sorry!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM

im so sry about your bunnies, how old were they?
and yes a lot of times this can happen with a first litter.
really really sry

Tags
baby rabbits, help on baby rabbits, small breads