New bunnie owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New bunnie owner

Okay, new rabbit owner here. we got a free rabbit from the farm store, it is a doe, and around 10 months old. all we know is that the previous owner brought her in, said she couldnt keep her. she kind of growls at my 9yr old daughter, but when you pick her up she is really sweet. I am wondering if she is pregnant, and how can I tell? any help would be great. She is white with like siamese points and floppy ears, any guess as to what breed? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Floppy ears? A lop-eared? And at that, there's like...three variations of lop-ears, I believe. Holland Lop, English Lop, French Lop(?), and I think a new variation that has been bred is called the Lionhead Lop.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:34 PM
is a little "special"

Congrats on your new bun!!
Im guessing that she isnt spayed? If she isnt, then the reason for her growling is hormonal. Unspayed females are often cage aggressive (biting/attacking you when you are in their cage or territory) and they can get pretty nasty. Your 10 month old girly is at her "teenager" stage, and right now she is as hormonal as they get!
You should really look into spaying her. Not only will it calm her down tons, make her easier to litterbox train, and all around make her a sweeter and happier bun, but it will also extend her life by years. Female rabbits are VERY prone to reproductive cancer, and about 85% of intact does will die from it by the time they are 4-6 years old. Spayed girls can live the full 8-12 years.
As for breeds... The markings sound like a Himalayn (sp?) or Californian, maybe mixed with some lop? Im not sure... Im not the best at breed guessing LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks for your advice! If I get her spayed will she calm down then?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

More than likely. Just make sure it's a rabbit-savvy bet, and I've heard the anesthetic should be gas-based. I'm more someone else can inform you more on that, though. I guess it's the least stressful.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafox54 View Post
thanks for your advice! If I get her spayed will she calm down then?

No problem! And I garentee she will

Flickering Hope~ The gas your talking about is isoflourine. Since its given to them through a mask and not injected like the anethetic for a dog or a cat would be, they can wake up from it pretty fast- The small animals Ive seen under it never take more than a minute or two to wake up, while the dogs and cats take an hour or so (sometimes longer) before theyre fully awake. Quicker wake up time = Safer for bunners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
No problem! And I garentee she will

Flickering Hope~ The gas your talking about is isoflourine. Since its given to them through a mask and not injected like the anethetic for a dog or a cat would be, they can wake up from it pretty fast- The small animals Ive seen under it never take more than a minute or two to wake up, while the dogs and cats take an hour or so (sometimes longer) before theyre fully awake. Quicker wake up time = Safer for bunners.
Geez - 1 to 2 minutes is amazing
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 05:07 PM
the rodent lover<3

Does she look anything like this? -

That is a Californian bun - but as you can see her ears don't hang down - never have :3

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Good luck with the new baby! I bet she is darling. And I agree with Jess and the others - definitely have her spayed. My Ophelia was terrible with her litter box and after she was spayed she was fantastic! And yes - having a rabbit savvy vet is necessary.
Jess I didn't realize they woke up that quickly compared to cats and dogs - but it makes perfect sense now - I was always amazed at how alert Tabby was when I picked her up after her teeth trimming. And the other buns were alert after their spays and neuters. Now I know why - thanks!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Vets use iso for a lot of dog surgeries as well (don't know about cats). Or at least for toy dogs, because it's safer for them. My puppy was given isoflourine when he was neutered, he woke up really quickly and was his normal hyper self by the time I got him home.

Anyways, congrats on your new addition! I would take her into a vet, they will be able to tell you if she's pregnant or not, and can talk to you about getting her spayed (which I also highly recommend). But what you described sounds a lot like she's just being hormonal and territorial, which spaying should help.

When you get 20 posts you should post pictures, it will help us give suggestions to what kind she is. About how much does she weigh? Around where I live, holland lops seem to be the most popular kind of lopped eared rabbits. I have 2 of them, they're both around 4 lbs. Of course she might be some kind of a mix too.

Did you name her yet?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She is white, with gray points, has a shorter nose and is a little fuzzier than your California bun. And her ears do hang down.
Being new here why post pic after 20 posts?
Any was she has to stay out side because we have two cats in the house with VERY high prey drive and they would just mangle her. Is it okay to use straw for bedding or is pine shavings best.
BTW she is already getting better about the cage aggresion. We give her small treats 2-3 times a day and pick her up every time we go to the barn. She sometimes still tries to hide but is getting so much better.
Thanks for all the help!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ohh and my daughter(whom she belongs to) named her Willow
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Betta Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafox54 View Post
Being new here why post pic after 20 posts?
Any was she has to stay out side because we have two cats in the house with VERY high prey drive and they would just mangle her. Is it okay to use straw for bedding or is pine shavings best.
BTW she is already getting better about the cage aggresion. We give her small treats 2-3 times a day and pick her up every time we go to the barn. She sometimes still tries to hide but is getting so much better.
Thanks for all the help!
First of all, congrats on your bunny Many years of happy to ya
You have to have at least 20 posts when your new in order to be allowed to post pictures.
As for her living outdoors, make sure the pen is prey proof (people here can help you with that), and warm for the winnter. Also, attention since she's alone. My 2 bunnies live indoors and I have 2 cats as well. My male Illusion picks on the bunnies but I keep his nails clipped so he can't harm them. Introduce them slowly and they can get along.
I support spaying her where she's so young. My bunny Acacia was SO aggressive prior to her spaying! At times it seemed she was alright but once she was spayed and her hormones died down she was so much easier to train and tame. She binkies now whenever I go in to tickle her or feed them. She comes to my lap for her treats.
Pine is NO good! There are harmful toxins in them and Cedar which can cause their systems to deteriorate. Not good. Use Yesterdays News, newspapers, (maybe someone here can suggest something else since I dont cage my rabbits. Im not sure of ground material) Litter material should consist or paper such as Yesterdays News since if it happens to be ingested she can pass it safely. Cat litter and clay based ones can potentially block their sensitive colons.
Pro-active is better than Re-active!
She should ALWAYS have fresh grass hay like timothy, meadow, etc... to munch on. If you can, I think you can use it as bedding in outdoor pens for added warmth in the winter. But you have to change it frequently. And add more every day for eating.
I hope if you have any more questions you know we're here to help! ^.^ Good luck!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
is a little "special"

Im glad the she is less agressive! She might have just been stressed out from going to a new home.
Pine and cedar bedding are no good for small animals. Not only can long term use cause kidney failure, but the phenols raise their liver enzymes wich can make surgery very risky... Some vets wont even operate on a bun unless its been off pine/cedar for at least 3 months. Aspen is a great choice, and so are the paper based beddings that Purple-Hops said. I use kiln-dried pine pellets for Smudges litterbox (Kiln-dried pine is fine... The process of kiln-drieing it removes the dangerous phenols.) If you want to litter box train her, than I would reccomend only putting bedding in her litter box, and leaving the rest of the cage bare with maybe just a blanket or something. If you put bedding in the cage and in the litter box, it will just confuse her.
And is her hutch solid or wire bottom? If it is wire, make sure she has a solid place to sit to rest her little feet. Putting a piece of cardboard or a wooden board (not treated) in there would work great
Check out this site for some great info on diet, spaying, housing, behavior, and more! http://www.rabbit.org

Oh, and the smooshed face maks her sound like a holland lop mix to me.

Tags
new bunnie