New Bunnies! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

New Bunnies!

I haven't been on here in a while... but i'm soooo excited and worried at the same time! We just went to the pet store on Sunday and bought two new bunnies. They are adorable! They are both long haired. One is albino i believe, and the other one is white with gray.

I already have Bayle, which i've posted picks of on here a while back. The problem is, i'm not sure we did things right when it came to Bayle. Bayle is NOT spayed or nuetered (not sure if he/she is a he or a she). I DO plan on it as soon as i get the money, which shouldn't be too long, I just got a second job.
Anyway, its been really hard bonding with Bayle. We finally got it to where she would come up to us and let us pet her, but we never had that gutts to pick her up because she seemed like she hated it so bad. We would let her (i really think its a girl even though all this time, my bf and I been saying sh) out to roam in a bunny proof room and she would come up to us and sniff us if we were still. VERY SKITTISH! I have no idea what we've done wrong, but if there is a way to fix it i would love to know how.

To make matters worse, we bring home two MALE bunnies, and I believe now that Bayle is a female. The two male bunnies are neutered. We have two cages set up close, but not RIGHT beside each other, Bayle is in one and the two males are in another. We also have small dog fences(2), one is attatched to Bayle's cage and the other is attatched to the males' cage. This way we could leave the door open on the cages and let them have more space.

I have let Bayle out of her pin so she could check out the two males, and she seems very intense.... like she wants to get to them. I have also let the two males out so that they could check out Bayle, but I haven't tried to let them all out at the same time... I believe this would cause big problems. The question is, is it a bad idea to have their cages close like this.... I can try to take a picture and post it sometime, but i'm not sure if this is a good idea.

I really don't know what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it a bad idea to give bunnies a lot of freedom or space before you bond with them? I love them all and I want them to trust me. I have no idea how to do this. I picked Bayle up and I held him close to me (i'm very gentle when I pick them up) and I thought she was going to go crazy!! When I went to put her back down she scratched me all up. I'm excited about my new bunnies, but I'm very worried that i'm doing everything wrong!!!

Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I am note sure on the bunny department, but I did want to congratulate you on your 2 new pets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats on the bunnies!

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks! They are adorable.... I'll have pics up here soon!
~Mandy
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Part of the Pack

Hello congrats on your new bunnies!

i think having the cages set up close is a good idea. it is a good way to familiarize your bunnies with each other's scent. However- just be REALLY careful when letting Bayle out to sniff the new males between the cage bars because they can give eachother really nasty bites on the noses and lips. they are very quick little creatures and the bite can come fast and be over before you even realize what's happening! (my two girls did tis when meeting in the beginning )

also- when you try and let them all out together don't do it in the room Bayle is kept in. Try and introduce them in a neutral area. Are there any rooms Bayle hasn't been in yet? Maybe you could set up a pen in the living room or some room like this and sit inside it ready to seperate any attcks/fights. However, I'd wait a while before you try one-on-one introductions. I'd let them get used to the idea of having each other around first. Especially Bayle.

Also- how long have you had Bayle? If she is in fact a female she is most likely really territorial of you. Even if she won't let you hold her - you are still "hers." (I'm sure males are territorial as well, but i don't have experience with male bunnies so i can't honestly say anything about them) I have two females- i had my first female Thimble for four months before getting my second bunny Sniffles. It has been 6 months now and Thimble still hates Sniffles with a passion. Sniffles is more than willing to be friends but Thimble will have no part of it!

so just be really careful with it. all rabbits are different, and hopefully yours will get on just fine! especially if its males and females - i think you'll have a better chance

good luck with the bonding process! i truly hope it all works out well for you and your bunnies. there can't be anything cuter than snuggling little rabbits!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you so much for your reply, I did notice Bayle gets very aggresive (circles) now, and i'm sure its territorial. She watches me very close if I go anywhere near the new buns.
I have to admit though, I believe I messed up when I brought them home. I let the two males out of the cage, after letting Bayle out. They walked all around Bayles cage and fence area with Bayle in it. I don't think this was very nice lol concidering its HER space.....

I'm going to try not to let any of them out of their fenced areas at least until Bayle is spayed, mainly because I don't want Bayle any more upset than she already is about the situation. I hear it isn't good for them to be under stress.

I really don't want to mess this all up!! So any advice is welcome.

Thanks so much!
~Mandy

P.S. I also wanted to appologize for my long confusing posts lol
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Part of the Pack

i think it is very wise that you are going to put things on hold until Bayle is spayed. i think this will definately help with the tensions between bunnies. plus if Bayle tried to mate with one of the neutered males they might get upset and attack her. so it's best to wait.

there are a number of things you can do to make the introductions go smoothly- i will try and find a good link for you that provides this information.

but it sounds like they are all pretty young? so that's definately a good thing in your corner. can't wait to see some pictures!

(oh yeah- and don't worry, your posts aren't confusing )
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Did you quarantine your new rabbits before you let them near your exisiting bunny? Since they came from a pet store...they may not be too healthy.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have to quarantine my bunnies!?! Oh goodness, no as soon as I got them home, I set up their cage beside Bayle's cage. Is this bad. They said that they had their rabies vaccination (which Bayle has not as far as I know). I have never heard of having to quarantine them first.

Shocked.....

I'm asuming its too late for that
~Mandy
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Well I think you should take all of your rabbits in right now as any disease the new ones might have had would probably have spread by now.
I don't think there are vaccines for rabbits in the USA, is that where you are located? I know they are known in Europe, especially England, but not here.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats on the new additions.

I would take the new bunnies to the vet anyways for a check-up =).

Rabbits don't need rabies vaccines...that sounds a bit odd. I never trust petstores anyway. They usually don't know anything.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm starting to wonder if PetCo knows what they are talking about. Yes I'm located in the U.S. (North Carolina) They said they had their rabies vaccination. Could this even be possible? I noticed on one of the bunny ears there is a blue marking like a tatoo... what could this be?

~Mandy
Bayle, Clo, and Shaze
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oh goodness, I just thought of something. I'm in the process of trying to save up the money to get Bayle spayed/neutered. Could they have lied about them being neutered since they said they were born around Aug. .... that seems a bit too young!

I don't know what i'm going to do if they aren't neutered!?!

~Mandy
Bayle, Clo, and Shayze
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The marking is probably a breeder's tatoo.

I really don't think it's possible to give a rabbit a rabies vaccination...but who knows? It sounds strange to me, though.

I wouldn't listen to the people at PetCo. I mean, our PetCo is great but they don't carry rabbits, cats, or dogs as they encourage adoption. They even have computers that are on Petfinder .

Anyway, I'd get the new rabbits to the vet to make sure they're healthy.

By the way, you said they're neutered? I didn't think petstores generally did that.

EDIT: I just saw your new post. The vet can tell you if they're fixed. They do seem too young but I think it's possible. I'm not sure...my vet always said to wait at LEAST four months...hmm.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oh Goodness..........

Tags
alfalfa hay, baby bunnies, cage bars, house rabbit, house rabbits, neutered male, pet shop, pet store, seperate cages