New bunny! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Question New bunny!

I found the bunny I am getting. My bf is picking it up on Friday. So I have a couple of questions. What kind of food is good to feed them? I also know not to use pine or cedar as their bedding so what should I use? Would timothy hay be OK?? And we plan on litter training it so what should we use for the litter pan? And also please let me know if there is anything I should avoid! Also if there is anything I should know before getting one please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 07:37 PM

My biggest piece of advice is to go to a feedstore to buy rabbit pellets! At a petstore you'll pay more for 2-3 lbs than you would for 25# at the feedstore! Better pellets at the feedstore too! that might be more than you can use in a couple months but it's way cheaper to throw out half of the feedstore bag than to but at a petstore. I don't know as much about rabbit food as I do chin food, but I like Ace-Hi, that's pretty good. Try giving your bunny cilantro too, my bun goes NUTS for it, and carrot greens! Timothy is good. I've never had my bun on bedding, so i don't know about that... if you don't like pine, you might prefer aspen. Good luck with your bunny!! I can't wait to see pictures!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 09:41 PM

I don't know what type of feed you have in Texas but there are tons of good brands, I suggest getting a supply of what the rabbit is used to eating right now and if you change brands slowly add it to what your bunny is eating because they don't eat for days if they have to switch food immediately. They are very picky eaters.
What type of cage do you have? Most have wire floors so the stool falls below into a tray. I put wood stove pellets (or Good News paper pellets are good too) in the bottom of the tray where the bunny decides to urinate. Let the bunny decide and then put the pellets under that spot, it saves pellets and keeps the odor in the cage to a minimum. The pellets break down as they absorb urine and it covers the odor of the urine very well.

I also use the pellets in the litter box, they are way easier to sweep up.
Timothy hay is fine, but don't feed it alot because too much will make your bunny get fat. I have guinea pigs too, and they can have hay all the time because they don't overeat, but bunnies don't always know when enough is enough. Plus they really like veggies when they are old enough to have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

"Timothy hay is fine, but don't feed it alot because too much will make your bunny get fat. "

I asked my wonderful exotic vet about this statement and this was her reply:

Quote:
Based on everything I have read, rabbits should be fed grass hays free choice and not be limited. Grass hay does not make a bunny fat. As you know, alfalfa hay can make a bunny fat - perhaps she has her hay types confused.
Timothy is indeed a grass hay.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help everyone!! I am soo excited I cant wait!! And I will try to get pics up as soon as I can after I get it!!! Ya'll have all been so much help!! Thank you!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 09:19 AM

I was just told about hay by a rabbit breeder. I guess they are more picky about the weight because they can have more problems when they are pregnant, and some times they can't concieve, so I guess it wouldn't apply here.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I still don't understand that. Alfalfa I can, but Timothy is a low protein, low calcium grass hay that's mostly fiber. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Stephanie

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:14 PM

I'm not sure, I feed them hay almost every day, that and their pellets. I'm not sure what type of hay it is either because I buy it from a local farmer that drops it off at a feed store. It's 2.50 for an entire bale. It probably is alfalfa. It's cheaper to buy that way then buying the mini bales for 8.00 at the pet store.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 12:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'll agree with you there. Petstores are outrageous!

Stephanie

Tags
alfalfa hay, exotic vet, grass hay, guinea pig, litter box, litter pan, litter train, litter training, pet store, rabbit food, rabbit pellets, timothy hay, wood stove pellets