New Bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

New Bunny

Hi Everyone,
I just got a new bunny a few weeks ago and i was wondering if anyone could answer some of my questions...
She is one month old and a Holland lop...
Ive been hoping to get her littler box trained but so far have had no success. She doesnt seemed to have picked a corner...is there anyway I can get her to start using the litterbox instead of just peeing wherever she pleases? This is also causing problems with giving her exercise...whenever i let her out she just ends up peeing on the carpet.
Another thing...i usually let her run around before i leave for class in the mornings, but when its time to put her away i end up having to chase her around. I dont want to have to grab her to put her away

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Wow a lot of new ppl are getting bunnies lately...and having trouble litter box training them!

If you read through some of the other threads on here, I'll bet you can find tons of advice for litter training rabbits, it's a common question. But I'll give you some basic advice

First of all, your bunny is still a baby. Babies are messy! You don't expect that human babies come home knowing how to use the bathroom, and you can't expect that of bunny babies either. As she gets older, she should start to develope cleaner habits.

Secoundly, I recommend that you get her spayed. That will really help her litter box habits, as well as prevent cancer, and problems she may develope in the future such as aggression and so forth.

How I litter trained my rabbits was I got them a nice big litter box, put yesterday's news on the bottom, then covered that with hay. Bunnies are strange, and like to eat while they do their buisness. Yes, they have accidents when they are young, but if you get her spayed and keep working with her, she should get it eventually.

About getting her back in her cage, what I do is I put something yummy in my bunnies cage, like their salad or a small piece of fruit, or you could even use pellets. Then I tell them it's time to go in their room, and they know that means that when they go back into their cage they're will be something tastey in there waiting for them and they can't get back into that cage fast enough. Of course, your rabbit won't understand this at first. The best thing to do is to put the food in the cage, and wait till she goes in there on her own, then say whatever command you want to use to make her go in her cage, and close her in. If your always chasing her around she could lose trust in you and that's not good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

unfortunately her cage doesn't allow for her to come and go freely, the entrance is on the ceiling :p...also i usually let her play in the living room, but keep her cage in another room in my house...any other tips?

Tags
box trained, holland lop, litter box, litter box training, litter train, litter trained, litter training