New bunny :) Cage help. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

New bunny :) Cage help.

Just got a new 10 week old netherland dwarf.

I got a cage, its fairly big. Water , food, hay, bedding, etc.

But I know its not enough.

Can you guys tell me some things I can add to it too make it better for my rabbit, like what can I put for it to play/hide/chew.

And where can it sleep, on what?

Also, I will be getting a litter box today, but not sure wheree to put it,

heres a pic of my cage right now, please help

dont have 20 posts, so PM me for a link to the picture.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hii congratz on your new bunny! If you plan on getting a litter box and training her then you will need a square shape litter box because those corner ones usually are not that good :/ Also when you are training her make sure your cage is bare bottom because it can be confusing having litter all over the place. Also you should put some hay in the litter box usually rabbits go where they eat Lol. When you do litter train her you can get her a small dog bed to sleep in my rabbit loves it! Toys are fun for a rabbit that stays in the cage too. My bunny loves the cat balls and the toilet paper tubes, just make sure your bunny doesnt eat it. You can also get a chewing ball or chewing Log for your bunny so she can shave down her teeth As for a hide my rabbit wasn't so fond of the plastic igloos so Idk if yours would like it. Treats are good too, You can get some hay as a that but never get those treat at the pet stores that have tons of sugar in it. Like the sugar drops you can find now, it can cause cavities and tooth decay. I give my bunny carrots and lettuce as treats she loves them! I hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Betta Bomb

First off, congrats on baby bunny! I wish you a happy life with it ^^

How big is the cage? Most cages sold in pet stores are not big enough for a bunny since a bunny needs to stretch and run and jump. General rule is that the cage must stand the height of the bunny standing x2 or 3. Must be long and wide enough for them to run and stretch. I'm not sure of specifics but I'd suggest a NIC cage constructed from the "neat idea cubes' available from stores like WalMart. Here's a housing link: http://www.ontariorabbits.org/diet/careinfo2.html and here's one from this forum about them : http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27/nic-cages-31333.html The bigger the better!

Secondly, the rabbit will choose where it wants to sleep. I got 2 blankets and cardboard boxes in both my pens as well as the option for them to hide under the shelf I built in them. Old paper tubes, phone books, cat toys, baby toys, rattles, cardboard boxes, bird toys, untreated wicker baskets.. Basically anything you can think of that will make noise when tossed or is safe to chew (paper can be digested safely but plastics should be avoided if bunny can chew it) can be used as a bunny toy. One of my bunnies LOVES rattles made for babies. Usually they come in one peice hard plastic so she cannot destroy and pick off little pieces.

Put a LARGE cat litter pan in the corner she favors. It will make No difference to bunny if you place the litter box in a place YOU want it. She'll sniff around until she favors a corner and pee there, place some of the soiled litter in the litter pan and put it in the same corner where she initially peed. She'll smell it and return. You want to put the hay rack high enough so she cant pee on it but over the litter box because bunnies like to use the 'bathroom' while they eat. Hay provides them with munchies which is essential to have AT ALL TIMES.

Good luck and post more so we can see bunny. Check out our rabbit section and have a look around for suggestions and ideas.

Tags
bunny, cage