new bunny... help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

new bunny... help!

hello i went to a flea market today and there was a little tiny animal carrier that you would use to take a puppy or kitten to the vet. i though it was just a cage for sale but there was a water bottle taped to the front of the cage. i looked inside and there was this beautiful black bunny. i felt so bad. there was no bedding one lousy piece of lettuce. it just looked so sad. there was no way i could leave it there so i asked the owners and they said i could take it for free. so for now i have it in a 20 gallon tank until i can get to the store to buy a better cage and food and toys and such. i fed it some dandelions and hay. but for the most part i know absolutely nothing about rabbits. ive never owned one before. so i was wondering if anyone had any advice on a cage, toys, treats and care in general. thanks so much! shes the sweetest little bunny. im a little nervous because ive never cared for one before. so far so good though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i tried to post a link but i dont have enough posts yet, sorry!

this is the cage i was looking at... Kennel-Aire Bunny House. i don't care for the mesh bottom but i could put a grass mat down on one side. any thoughts?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
is a little "special"

Aww, congrats on your new bunny! I bet he/she will be much happier in its new home!
Do you have any idea how old your bunny is? Lets start with food... You will need alfalfa or timothy based pellets depending on age (Oxbow is my favorite brand!), LOTS of hay, and veggies. The dandelions are great for them- just make sure there are no chemicals or anything on them. Lettuce, parsley, and carrots are some of the favorites over here.
For a cage, I actually wouldnt reccomend one. Excersice pens and home-made NIC cube cages are actually much better, since they are nice and roomy... Pet store cages are usually wat too small.
And there is no need for a wire bottom cage, because rabbits can be litter box trained. You will probably want to start training you new little one soon! Get a big square cat-style litter box, and fill the bottom with bedding. Paper based bedding (like Carefresh, Yesterdays News, ect) compressed wood pellets (this is what I use) and aspen shavings are all good ones. Put all the hay in the litter box, since they usually go to the bathroom while they eat. Also, dont put litter anywhere else in the cage because it will confuse them.
You will also want to think about getting you bunny spayed or neutered, especially if its a girl. Females are VERY prone to reproductive cancer, and if they arent fixed they usually dont make it past 4 yrs old.

Well, those are the basics LOL! You should check out www.rabbit.org for some more care info... Definatley the best bunny site around!

Edit: Oops, forgot about toys! Paper towel and toilet paper tubes, old phone books, boxes, cardboard, shredded paper, and old baby toys (make sure they cant be eaten) are some things you can probably find around the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Last edited by Jess; 04-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i hope shes much happier! i have no idea on her sex or age. the people that had her i don't think really cared about her at all. im almost willing to bet she was an Easter present for a young kid and they didnt want her anymore. and i only keep calling her a "her" because i don't want to call her an "it" lol. i have degus. so i always have timothy hay on hand. oh i definitely plan on getting a litterpan soon. im making a trip up to town tomorrow so i need to make a list tonight haha. im going to have to keep her in a cage just because we have 2 dogs, and 2 puppies running around. not to mention i have 2 cats too lol. thats not even all of them. i have 2 degus and 2 mice and a bird too. yeah we have quite the animal house. it was also a stipulation for me to keep her by my mom. i have to keep her in a cage. obviously not all the time but whenever im not bonding with her. i gave her 3 handfuls of spring mix and she woofed that down haha and a bunch of grass and of course like 5 dandelions. shes a hungry one haha. hopefully that will hold her until tomorrow. my degus have timothy based pellets i could use. anyway thanks for the advice. and ill definitely be checking out that site!

what about orchard grass? my friend gave me a big bag that she wasnt using and all of my other rodents cant use it so i wasnt sure...
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM
is a little "special"

As long as its hay like, the orchard grass should be fine... One of the main points of hay is just to keep their teeth from over growing, so Im sure she could have it.
And its probably better if she is in a cage then LOL! My dog is terrified of my rabbit, so I dont have a problem there.
I looked up the cage, and its pretty small if your rabbit is going to spend the majority of her time in it. I would go for one thats at least 3 ft long and about 2ft wide... the bigger the better! The brand Marchioro has an "X Large" cage that would be pretty good. The NIC cube cage would still be a good option though!
And I would get her pellets that are specifically for rabbits. I dont know much about degus, but all animals have different nutritional requirements.
And there is probably a link on that site on how to sex them... Its pretty obvious after they are 6 months old. You can just have a vet do it too if you arent sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

the orchard grass is like hay. my degus can't have it because of the fiber content or the protein i cant remember which. but i figure rabbits live off grass so she should be good. she gobbles it right up so she really likes it. oh i definitely plan to get pellets specifically for rabbits i just meant for tonight until i get up there tomorrow but i think she'll be fine tonight. and ill shall definitely be checking out that cage. i want to get her a big cage so she can hop all around lol
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Orchard grass is fine - it's one of my bunnies favorites They can have any type of grass hay, which includes types like Orchard grass, Timothy, Brome, and Bermuda grass. Timothy is the most popular kind to feed rabbits, but I like to make mixes for my rabbits made of at least a couple of the different types of grass hays. It gives them a nice verity and makes foraging for the perfect pieces of hay more interesting for them.

Do a google search for "NIC rabbit cage". NIC stands for "Neat idea cubes". They are sold in places like Wal*mart and Target for like $15 a box and you can make a nice big custom cage with them.

I don't usually ever recommend any pet store type rabbit cages. They are usually too small and overpriced. If you don't like the idea of using NIC's to make a cage, you could also look into using an Xpen or a large dog crate. Especially since you don't know what type she is and if she's full grown or not - get the biggest cage you can.

You might want to take it easy on the greens for now. If her tummy isn't use to them they can cause some problems - feed them in moderation, especially at first until you make sure she can handle them without any problems. I also use and recommend Oxbow pellets if you can find them.

Congrats on your new addition! Any name ideas yet? She's very lucky to have found a good home.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 04-25-2010 at 08:33 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekins115 View Post
the orchard grass is like hay. my degus can't have it because of the fiber content or the protein i cant remember which. but i figure rabbits live off grass so she should be good. she gobbles it right up so she really likes it. oh i definitely plan to get pellets specifically for rabbits i just meant for tonight until i get up there tomorrow but i think she'll be fine tonight. and ill shall definitely be checking out that cage. i want to get her a big cage so she can hop all around lol
You're getting plenty of great advice on the rabbit but I wanted to point out that orchard grass is safe for degus. You might have mixed it up with alfalfa (degus shouldn't have alfalfa hay) .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

yeah you're probably right about the orchard grass. i just have a huge bag of timothy hay that ive had for quite a while and they love it so thats what i always use. i picked her up for the first time today! shes doing so well. i just love her so much already haha. i picked her up and she just sat there. i don't know her breed or anything like that. when i get around to it ill try to post pictures. (i don't think i have enough posts yet). she is not interested in pelleted food at all. but she loves her lettuce and ate a carrot right out of my hand. and of course plenty of hay. i just hope she comes around to the pelleted food. it seems like itd be more substantial than lettuce.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Lettuce actually isn't that great for them - or at least not iceburg lettuce. It's mostly all water and no nutrition and can give them diarrhea. But romaine lettuce is fine. Carrots I give sparingly too.

Here is a link to the House Rabbit Society's list of suggested veggies:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Hay is the most important part of their diet - so make sure she has access to fresh hay 24/7.

You almost have enough posts to be able to post pictures - you need 20.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
is a little "special"

Opps, I think I forgot to specify that they should have Romain, and not ice burg lettuce!
And its fine if she doesnt like pellets. They really arent necessary in their diet... Hay and veggies are more important.

Michelle, what was the cage you have for your buns? If she has to go with a more tradional style cage, yours is pretty nice!

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

oh no need to specify lol. i would never give any of my animals ice berg. my fiance has tortoises and he always says "ice berg has no nutritional value". it's like his catch phrase lol. ive been giving her romaine. i just dont know how much romaine she should have and how many carrots and how often she should have them. and she can have as much hay as she wants right? because shes always chewing on it haha. i think i want to litter train her. i want to get carpet to line her cage. i might get some repti-carpet so i wouldnt need bedding and if she takes to the litter training it would be great.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yup as much hay as she wants!

I have a cage from this site...
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/

I have the 3 story 48'' condo, but my bunnies also have free range of their room They do like their cage though, even with the cage door open they spend a lot of time lazing around in the cage.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i found a seller on ebay that custom makes cages and they have one that is 29" long x 29" wide x 29" high. it doesnt seem very big but its 2 stories and in comparison to my little "Nugget" (thats what we've decided to name her lol) she should have plenty of room. she wouldnt be in it all the time just at night and while im at work which isn't very often haha. and they put carpeted floors on the top level and the bottom level is wood with a tile like water resistant lining so it'll wipe clean. there's no plastic in it. they have wooden bases and the sides are permanently attached so it is very well made. and i plan to litter train her anyway. i really didnt' want to have to get a cheap plastic cage.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

im trying to post pictures now so lets see how it goes lol...

I DID IT! haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cp1_0426001635[1].JPG (18.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg cp1_0426001635a[1].JPG (20.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg cp1_0426001635b[1].JPG (27.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Katiekins115; 04-26-2010 at 06:22 PM.