new bunny! not eating?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Post new bunny! not eating??

hey everyone, im pretty new here but it def. looks like people are very knowledgeable and helpful.
I brought my new bun home yesterday night. he was a rescue and has been through alot. he was taken, along with 17 other buns, from some people who had them all living together in their shed. they were all emaciated and covered in feces. many of them had urin-burn on their tummys. they were placed in fosters homes and a shelter. all were given basic vet care.
I found him when i went to petsmart to buy dogfood. the rescue(which is a reputable group that i have supported in the past) had an adoption center set up there. the minute i laid eyes on him i new i was taking him home. which is crazy because he is not even close to what i was looking for in a rabbit, and i was going to wait another month or two before i did adopt one.
so, i got him home last night and set up a cage quickly with some food and water in it and put him in for the night because he seemed really scared and nervous. i figured it would be best to let him calm down for the night. he was fine this morning, i bunny proofed the room and let him out while i was at work, made sure he had food and water.
when i came home to play with him i noticed his nails were really really long. which i think its kind of weird that the rescue wouldnt cut them, its not like it would cost them any money.. but thats not what im writing about.
okay i dont think he has eaten enough, that i know of, he has only eaten a piece of spinach, and nibbled on some carrot. i dont know for sure if he ate any pellets overnight or while i was at work, but he definately has not since i have been home at like 2 00. he has had water, i had him licking it off my finger. and he also hasnt pooped alot, some though. he has peed.
so, sorry this is pretty long, i just wanted to give a bit of history.
what i am looking for is any advice on what to try to get him eating.
btw, his name is Rascal. the people from the rescue think he is about 7 or eight yrs old. i dont think he is that old, as his teeth are very white and healthy looking

oh, and one more quick question- his paws are white, well supposed to be. they seem to be grass stained. any tips on how to get them white again?

thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

First off, welcome!

He's probably just nervous but not eating is really, really dangerous for rabbits. Is he at least eating hay? If he isn't eating hay OR his food, I would get him to a vet.

It's really hard to tell a rabbit's age and you can't go by the teeth like with dogs. So who knows!

As for the stains, you can gently wipe them with a face cloth (I would just use warm water and maybe a bit of baby/pet shampoo). The stains probably won't come out immediately but that should help.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

If rabbits don't eat anything for 24 hours, they need to be rushed to the vet. Rabbits need to have their digestive tract constantly working. So if the only thing he'll eat is say...hay, then make sure it's always available so he's nibbling on that and getting his digestive tract flowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks everyone!
right after i wrote this i got him to eat another piece of spinach and a slice of cucumber and a baby carrot. so that was nsome good progress i figured.
last night im pretty sure he was into his pellets and he pooped. so things are looking up.
also, i was wondering if anyone has had any sucess litter training an older rabbit?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The two rabbits that I adopted at the oldest ages were actually the most reliable with their litterboxes so yes . But no matter his age, it's going to be difficult unless he's neutered.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Newborn Pup

I guess age has nothing do with eating. In my opinion your bunny is in a new environment so it will take some time to get acquainted with you. To add more if rascal is not eating for so long then you’d better visit a vet. There maybe some kind of infection in the stomach or perhaps the food is stale. If the problem still resists then you can find some useful resources for your bunny here thepetsdir.com.

Hope this helps.

Tags
new bunny, not eating