New bunny owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

New bunny owner

So I literally just got a 3 month old Broken Blue Tortoise Lop ^_^ I'm a little concerned though because he hates being picked up with a passion. I pick him up with two hands usually with one hand under his tummy and one on his back but he still tries to kick me. Is this normal? He seems fairly comfortable with me.

Last edited by Tiffeh; 08-11-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Also his nails are turned up (from the cage of his previous owner I guess) what should I do to fix them?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Hi

Yes it is normal. Rabbits are pray animals. In the wild the only time they would be picked up is by a predator trying to kill them.

I have three rabbits. Out of the three one absolutly hates being picked up. The other two will tolerate it but do not enjoy it.

I only pick up my rabbits when it's really necessary. To interact with them, I sit with them on the floor. They will run up to me for pets and even jump up on my lap.

I would suggest you take him to a vet for a wellness check up and to have them look at his nails. It's best to find a vet now while he's still healthy then to have to frantically search for one when you need one in an emergency.

When I got one of my bunnies his nails where pretty messed up. They curled under and to the sides and hurt his feet. I just trimmed his nails and then the vet gave me some meds for the sores on his feet. I make sure to keep his nails trimmed short because they are a little messed up still, some of his toes where broken and rehealed at weird angles so if his nails grow to long they could press against his feet again.

Did you name him yet? I have a broken blue holland lop named Ziggy Make sure to post pictues when you can, after 20 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

I named him Jenks after one of my favorite book characters. I plan on trimming him tomorrow, like I said I just got him today and he's probably confused enough. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

(was anyone else surprised that bunnies aren't really as shy as wild rabbits? Jenks went right up to my rat terrier and sniffed her then nudged her to get outta his way)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Aw I like his name.

He probably is pretty confused with the changes, but he should settle down soon enough.

Some domestic rabbits are shy and some arn't. They each have their own little personalities. My rabbits get along with my dog, it's cute.

If you haven't looked at it yet, the House Rabbit Society website has a lot of useful info about keeping pet rabbits. It's always the first place I send new rabbit owners to read up about their new friends.

http://www.rabbit.org/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

I've been looking up stuff on rabbit care all day. And I think my cat Tiger and him are becoming buddies. Tiger's by his cage and he's just throwing a fit trying to get near him.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Part of the Pack

Yes, I was quite surprised at how social and affectionate buns are. I ended up with Roger unexpectedly when my daughter had to move and couldn't take him with her. I hurriedly read every book on them I could find. One day when I brought him inside and put him on the floor to run around, he kept nudging me to pet him! I felt so bad then that I hadn't been paying any attention to him other than feeding him! We immediately built him a clean indoor hutch and made him part of the family. I wonder how many other people don't know this about rabbits? It was so much fun having him and learning about them. It's a tragedy so many of them just sit in a hutch outside their whole life with no social contact.

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Betta Bomb

House Rabbit Society is useful!
Please pics, We love them here!! Congrats on your bunneh, may you enjoy many good years ahead with him.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I have a pic of him in my siggy but it's not that good
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM

I'd be surprised if your bunny didn't hate being picked up. One of our bunnies is extremely friendly - if I go lay down on the floor, she'll run up to me, hop all over me like I'm a jungle gym, and even come snuggle up to me and lays down. But the moment I try to pick her up she starts struggling like crazy.

So, my solution is using a small cat carrier for moving her around (for example, from her bunny-proofed play room to the cage she sleeps in in a different room). She doesn't mind going in the carrier, she just does not like being picked up regularly. The same applies to our other rabbits as well.

But really, I guess I wouldn't like being picked up by a giant either.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM
can't think of one, help

congrats on your new baby bunny. Yes they do not like being picked up. Mine doesn't mind at all now, but I've been doing it frequently for around ten years. When I pick him up I bring him close to me very quickly that way he knows he's safe. Never let him hang out there in mid air. My little guy goes for my left shoulder and snuggles under my chin. Hope you have as many bunny snuggle years as I have.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Betta Bomb

Bunny snuggles

Tags
bunny, rabbit