New Bunny Owner- help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation New Bunny Owner- help

I am a new Bunny owner. My bunny's name is Sumi (charcole in Japanese). I love her already ;p She's got personality. I live in an apartment and so I am attempting to house train her. She's about six months old. When I first got her for my birthday (couple weeks ago) she was going in the litter box right away and only left a few pooplets here and there as she hopped around the house (she lives in my walk-in closet by the way). Well now, everytime I open up the closest, after I wake up in the morning or get back from classes, I find that pooplets are strewn all along the floor of the closest... and not so much in the litter box. She does urinate in the litter box without fail, with one exception and that is when I placed her back in the closest (she didn't seem to like this) and she peed right in front of the door. :0 And now it seems as though she poops everwhere but in the litter box. She leaves pooplets as she hops... I mean every hop seems to have a pooplet left behind. I don't know why she's doing this now nor how to fix the problem. I'd like to fix it before my family visits next month. Any help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Is she spayed? Buns that are not spayed have a need to mark their territory more than those that are spayed.
She also could just be getting used to the place.
Have you put her hay in her litter box? This also helps as buns like to nibble and poo at the same time. You may always have stray poos but the majority should be in the box.
Good luck!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Newborn Pup

Kathydip said basically what I was going to say. Good luck with your new bunny, I just got my first rabbit a few weeks ago myself. His name is Adobe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adobe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Part of the Pack

Yeah, what kathydip said. Maybe she is angry about living in the closet? Cool bunny name, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks! That helps alot. Do you know what a good pricing for fixing the bunny should be? I called one vet and they wanted $220... :/ Finally, are there any tips for chewing? I know bunnies have to chew, but she doesn't seem to be too fond of the wooden chewys we got at the pet store... and as much as I'd like her to roam free i do worry about the furniture.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Rodentologist

It really depends on the area... here it ranges from around $150-$300 depending on which vet you choose.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Playful Pup

make sure that the Vet you are taking her to knows about rabbit. Check the site http://www.rabbit.org/health/spay.html it will give you information about spay and finding a vet for you bunny. I took my bun to neutered today, I'll found the total, because they just gave me an estimate before. good luck!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

$220 doesn't sound that bad to me for a spay. Around where I use to live there is a vet who charges around $500 for bloodwork, the spay and pain medication. What does the $220 include? I always like to get bloodwork done before a surgery to make sure they are healthy enough to handle the anesthesia. Also, some vets include the cost of pain meds in with the price. But yeah, around where I use to live I know the price range was $100 - $500. The cheaper places didn't do blood work. So the average price for the vets who included everything was around $200 - $250. I haven't priced them since I moved since I just get my rabbits already fixed from the shelter.

And you definatly need to make sure the vet your dealing with has experience with bunnies.

Spaying can really help out a lot with litterbox habits though.

What types of chews have you tried? My rabbits seem to love chewing on unpeeled willow toys. Also, some other members said their rabbits only like chewing on bigger blocks of wood that they can't move around.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Newborn Pup

Congrats on your new addition!! Can't wait to see pictures!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Playful Pup

I paid $250 yesterday for neutering my bunny and the cost of total was the same as the estimate the doctor gave me before, I was happy that there was no surprise fees. It included everything, it needs for surgery, medicine and his sutures remove in 14 days. you really have to ask a lot of questions, besides his knowledge on rabbit, also what include with the cost you will pay. If you hope to have her fix before your family visit, you want to plan now, because it takes some time for their behavioral change to happen after the surgery. Good Luck and Congrats!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Part of the Pack

Molly was the perfect bunny with her litterbox but when her hormones kicked in....OMG...she was just horrible with spraying urine and pooplets everywhere. That was the longest two weeks waiting for her spay appointment. She has been really good since. I highly recommend surgery!!! Can't wait for pictures!!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Playful Pup

Luckybunny - does your bunny bite too, i mean everything and human. Because my friend has a doe bunny, and I'm trying to talk her into spaying her hoping that she can be much less aggressive. right her bunny is very aggressive, bites everything and pee and poop everything to mark her place. last time when I bunnysit her, she was on my legs and suddenly bit me very hard on my arm while she was sniffing me. so do you think spaying her will change that too? my bunny is much much calmer than my friend's bunny, even before he is being neutered, but I really hope that her can be fixed to, cuz she is an adorable female bunny.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Part of the Pack

Molly was not a biter originally but with her hormones she was getting cage aggressive and would lunge at us when we reached in her cage. We would allow her out and then catch her. My daughter had to take her away from her cage and hold her while I cleaned. She stunk pretty bad too so I had to work fast. Unfortunately she was not out much for playtime she was so obnoxious. I think the longer that your friends doe is unaltered it will be harder to train her because she has her territory so well "scented" she may continue to keep marking....that is what I was worried about. It is amazing how much calmer they become. Good luck convincing your friend. I think I would be a good investment. Clean up time is minimal now and Molly is so much more happy.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the tips and info! Back to Litter box issues... Another question... How do you distinguish between just plain old peeing and marking?? And at what age do bunnies start marking? My bunny is almost six months... and as i said she doesn't poop in her litter box anymore... and TODAY I found that she peed on my couch She was always peeing int he litter box until today... I was so shocked/surprised. My apartment isn't very big it's only three rooms... My room, my roommates room, and the living room/dinky kitchen. Do you think I should get another Litter box for in the living room? or do you think she is starting to mark? I can't imagine that she'd be so occupied/lazy as to no hop to the closest and pee as usual...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Betta Bomb

First of all WELCOME and CONGRATS on your new addition!

You should definetly have a litter box in any area where she is playing.Both of mine have a litter box with hay in both their pens and in my bedroom for playing.I found when I had Acacia spayed she probably still took a few months to grow out of her insane attitudes! Very frusterating! But the end result is well worth the wait. My vet charged roughly 240$ for EVERYTHING included in her spay from her consultation,exam,surgery,bloodwork,2 weekly check-ups,and removal of sutres. good luck and let us know what's going on!

Tags
poop everywhere, potty training problems