New bunny owner...help!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Question New bunny owner...help!!

earlier my bunny accidentally peed in my jacket, given i didn't put him in his cage, i didn't punish him ... it was my fault.

I noticed that his pee was somewhat syrupy. A thread on here had stated that by eating guinea pig food, a rabbits pee would be messed up or something.

i was foolish and i bought the "guinea pig cage kit" instead of the rabbit one simply because it had a color that i liked.

Is a bunny's urine syrupy or is there something wrong with Turbo?

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

a good way to describe it: thick anti-freeze.

Turbo Bunny

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I haven't ever heard of thick urine. Hopefully some else can weigh in on that.
But you need to purchase the proper food for your bun. Oxbow makes a good bunny food. Depending how old your bun is will determine if you should get the alfalfa based pellet (for babies) or the timothy hay pellets (for adults). My vet said that they are adults once they were old enough to be spayed and neutered. My buns were on the timothy pellets by the time they were 5 months. I thought it was too young - but the vet said it was not.
You should also find a bunny savvy vet. The house rabbit site has listings www.rabbit.org They also have great information on that site about how to properly care for your new baby.
Please post pictures I am sure everyone wants to see your little sweetie.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

i've come to realize that a bunnies urine isn't runny like a human's. its thickER than ours.
and i'll post pictures as soon as i figure out how to. I don't intend on a vet's help unless its ABSOLUTELY needed. its my way of living, i work at Paradise Pet Shop and so i figure if i had a problem i'll go to the owner for advise and help. if a vetis needed .... i'll aquire one.

Turbo Bunny

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

I think bladder sludge, which is caused by too much calcium or salts in the urine, can cause thicker than normal urine? None of my rabbits have ever had bladder sludge before though so I can't tell you for sure.

The color of rabbit urine is diffrent from humans, it can appear to be orange or redish sometimes depending on what the rabbit eats and how long the urine sits in the cage. However, I don't think it's normal to be syrupy.

I would definatly start by getting him on a diffrent food that's made for rabbits.

Remember that pet store owners have no where near the same training as vets do, and cannot always accuratly diagnose your pet. It's great that you have someone to get advice from, but they shouldn't replace a rabbit savy vet. Rabbits often hide their symptoms when they are not feeling well because they're a prey species, and sometimes if you wait untill they are feeling really aweful it can be too late.

Good luck with Turbo. And please do post some pictures of him, I'd love to see him!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

he peed on my bed, which is actually a good thing, so that i can get a closer look at it. it is orangey and its not that thick. its not that i don't want a vet its that i don't need one currently. he sleeps alot but i assume thats because he's a little baby.

Turbo Bunny

Tags
netherland dwarf, scared new owner., syrupy urine